Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoses View Post
Cantankerous, [this is my opinion, too]. I think what is happening to your children is what has happened since time began with people everywhere: people gravitate to where they feel most comfortable. LDS life centers around the church, and children's sports. Family life is everything to LDS;the social activities take place in the church. The kids at play may want to discuss last night's Fireside and your kids would either not be interested or consume the conversation with what is "Fireside" and "why". The children are just children, they are not missionaries.

I realize the above para is confusing but just want to reassure you that the LDS kids mean no harm. Let your children keep being good kids and eventually everyone will be friends.

I'm late to the party here, but having grown up in Idaho Falls, the thing about the kids being seen as the 'bad kids' is totally valid and is something that is prevalent here. I had friends growing up whose parents forbade them from seeing me, because we were not LDS. I was not allowed to attend their birthday parties, sleepovers, etc, and they similarly weren't allowed to attend mine. My parents weren't bad people or on the fringes of society by any means - my dad was a fireman and my mom a school teacher. However, I was effectively exiled from many childhood social activities as a result.

I think things on this front are better now than they used to be, but once people identify you as an 'outsider' the mood and tone of things can and does perceptibly shift, depending on the person/situation. I've seen it affect children, business relationships, hiring decisions, etc.

Is it bad enough to not be here? Nope. Doesn't this sort of thing happen elsewhere? Yep. However, I've seen it more here than any other place I've lived. You get good and bad things with a small town. Fortunately, the good outweighs the bad in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:04 PM

24 posts, read 101,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_gets View Post
I'm late to the party here, but having grown up in Idaho Falls, the thing about the kids being seen as the 'bad kids' is totally valid and is something that is prevalent here. I had friends growing up whose parents forbade them from seeing me, because we were not LDS. I was not allowed to attend their birthday parties, sleepovers, etc, and they similarly weren't allowed to attend mine. My parents weren't bad people or on the fringes of society by any means - my dad was a fireman and my mom a school teacher. However, I was effectively exiled from many childhood social activities as a result.

I think things on this front are better now than they used to be, but once people identify you as an 'outsider' the mood and tone of things can and does perceptibly shift, depending on the person/situation. I've seen it affect children, business relationships, hiring decisions, etc.

Is it bad enough to not be here? Nope. Doesn't this sort of thing happen elsewhere? Yep. However, I've seen it more here than any other place I've lived. You get good and bad things with a small town. Fortunately, the good outweighs the bad in my opinion.
That is too bad you had that experience as a child. As parents we do want our children to associate with children whose parents we know personally, at least I do, and most LDS parents know each other from church. That doesn't mean a kid whose parents I do not know is "bad", it just means I don't know the parents. This is even more necessary in 2012 with the high rate of crime facing our nation.

Did your family have friends with children for you to associate with? Did you have a group of friends from school to be friends with?

Did your fireman father and school teacher mom ever attempt to get to know the parents of your school friends? Did they ever call the LDS parents and say "my child really really wants to play with your child, do you think that is possible?", or something on that order? In short, did your family ever make an attempt to get to know these people that you say labeled you "bad"? You see, it is a 2-way street, after all.

Why did it trouble you to be excluded from the activities that the LDS children did not involve you in? I know when I was in school I was not invited to all the parties and gatherings of my classmates, so I find this situation you report as strange and am curious.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Set your brain on "ignore" if something doesn't smell right. Seriously. IF is accepting of all. The few who do not should be ignored. It really is that simple. BTW, IF is not 100%, 80%, or even 70%, LDS if you include the entire metro area. Nothing wrong with those who are, but don't let statistics get in the way of reality.

Last edited by pw72; 08-12-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Set your brain on "ignore" if something doesn't smell right. Seriously. IF is accepting of all. The few who do not should be ignored. It really is that simple. BTW, IF is not 100%, 80%, or even 70%, LDS if you include the entire metro area. Nothing wrong with those who are, but don't let statistics get in the way of reality.

Great post pw72! I remember back in the day you had similar questions. Just saying, you have experience of moving to the area too.

This is usually when i quit reading and posting on these discussions as I tire quickly of this subject as I'm sure our friends in N. Idaho tire of getting asked constantly about the "Skinheads" etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Sage - thanks for your tolerance of my earlier post and your note

MSR

Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
Replying to Santoses, although I do agree it is a 2 way street what you are suggesting does sound like it all falls on the Non-LDS parent to do all the reaching out and hey what parent wouldn't be willing to do that, but when kids are shunned from the offset just on the basis of their religious affiliation it would seem the 2 way street you talk about kind of forks doesn't it? I lived in Idaho Falls for 5 years and I have mixed feelings. I meet plenty of great LDS people, but mostly hung out with the non's, but as far as my son was concerned not so easy for him. I just wish some LDS parents would take the time to teach their kids tollerence and understanding of kids that may not sit with them in church but can still be your friend. As an adult I can deal with being an outcast but my child shouldn't have to!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:55 AM

26 posts, read 34,198 times
I am not an American, but came here to do school. Its been 4 years since I came here

, however I still cant get along with those

Mormon people, they are super nice and all despite of how some of them would try so hard to convert me

but those are few, and the others would be just super nice. What's sad though that they won't make accept me

as a friend, give me me the impression that I am bad even if I just lit a cig " I consider it a personal right,"

however I do not smoke around people who doesn't. So yeah, the only thing that make me feel really sick and

depressed sometimes is that those people would not accept me as a friend or even for who I am.

Some might think of why I chose

this state to do school in, assuming that I did my research about the people and all of that, but no I think not a lot

of people would be honest about not feeling accepted. I like the quietness, highly safe environment, cheap cost

of living and some people are really witty, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls