Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the10ofus View Post
Would that be a problem, living by Mormons? Do I need to worry about not being Mormon? Would we not be accepted?
No Problem at all. All faiths get along just fine here and always have. I.F. has a strong Evangelical community of churches, and Mormons and non-Mormons alike do home schooling here. The 2 local school districts have a full list of the teaching materials, books, etc. that's needed to get a degree here, and are fully co-operative with home teachers.

I know a few families who are home teaching, or did in the past. i don't know all the particulars, but I think it's possible to enroll your children so they can participate in the district's sports programs while being home schooled. I might be wrong, so it's best to contact District #91, which comprises all the schools inside the I.F. city limits, and District #93, which comprises all the schools outside the city limits. You may end up in #93 in some subdivisions which are only on the other side of the street from the city limits in some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 AM

24 posts, read 101,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the10ofus View Post
No we would not be accepted?
I read a bias toward Mormons into your post, which is why I said what I did. If that is not the case, then no, Mormon families would not cause you a problem.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:09 PM

15 posts, read 79,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoses View Post
I read a bias toward Mormons into your post, which is why I said what I did. If that is not the case, then no, Mormon families would not cause you a problem.
No, no. No bias at all. Where we are from having 8 children always earns us strange looks and questions, one of them being are we Mormon. I don't know why as there is NOT a Morman presence of any significance where we are. The usual family size here is 2 kids...we have 4 times that amount and love it!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:42 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
While not all of the Mormons here have large families, some do. You won't get odd looks or comments here about the number of your children! I'm sure that if you were to ask another mom with a lot of kids, you would probably find out some good local advice pertaining to the demands of raising a big bunch of kids, too.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
I thought this might be a good place to post this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chu...(United_States) EDIT: for some reason the maps on this site don't link. You can reach them by poking around the link, though.

Note that Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming, are highest in percentage, but Nevada and Arizona are not far behind. (somewhat off topic, but Romney won the GOP in Nevada in '08, and is highly favored this year).

Last edited by pw72; 02-02-2012 at 06:53 PM..

Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 12,456 times
Anyone who suggests that it is difficult for a non-Mormon to live in Idaho Falls is either ignorant, biased or some combination of both. Idaho Falls is roughly 50 percent Mormon, which means about half of its population is not LDS. There is an active arts community, including a symphony, actors guild, a beautiful museum that rotates world-class exhibits (the current exhibit includes a full-sized replica of a T-Rex skeleton), and several art museums. There are many good restaurants with full-service bars and several excellent wine bars. The local arts council brings in a wide variety of shows, some of which are on the edgy side (Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and Cabaret have played here in the past). There is a beautiful greenbelt along the Snake River. If you are looking for difficulty in getting along with your Mormon or non-Mormon neighbors you will find it, but if you are looking for a place that is safe, pro-family, beautiful, near interesting places (Yellowstone is 90 minutes away) and populated by good people, you can't do better than Idaho Falls.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 AM

15 posts, read 79,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnut View Post
Anyone who suggests that it is difficult for a non-Mormon to live in Idaho Falls is either ignorant, biased or some combination of both. Idaho Falls is roughly 50 percent Mormon, which means about half of its population is not LDS. There is an active arts community, including a symphony, actors guild, a beautiful museum that rotates world-class exhibits (the current exhibit includes a full-sized replica of a T-Rex skeleton), and several art museums. There are many good restaurants with full-service bars and several excellent wine bars. The local arts council brings in a wide variety of shows, some of which are on the edgy side (Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and Cabaret have played here in the past). There is a beautiful greenbelt along the Snake River. If you are looking for difficulty in getting along with your Mormon or non-Mormon neighbors you will find it, but if you are looking for a place that is safe, pro-family, beautiful, near interesting places (Yellowstone is 90 minutes away) and populated by good people, you can't do better than Idaho Falls.
Thanks!! This is just what I was looking for! We are easy going and I can't imagine having any problems but some posts on this board previously had me kind of nervous!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoses View Post
You might consider telling the realtor you do not want to live by Mormons.
In eastern Idaho? You're kidding, right? You might as well move to Provo Utah and ask the same question. Anyways, there really isn't such a thing as a bad neighborhood in Idaho Falls. Just tell the realtor what you are looking for in both a house and a neighborhood and you should be fine.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:40 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
In eastern Idaho? You're kidding, right? You might as well move to Provo Utah and ask the same question. Anyways, there really isn't such a thing as a bad neighborhood in Idaho Falls. Just tell the realtor what you are looking for in both a house and a neighborhood and you should be fine.
I had some mixed feelings reading this thread. I remember the days when some who have posted here also asked the same questions. I don't think there is any bad or inaccurate information in the previous posts.

I'd encourage the Southern Baptist family to get in touch with the Southern Baptist churches in Idaho Falls. They may be able to answer many more of your questions. I'm sure you Pastor can connect you with the right people in Idaho Falls should you not be able to locate those churches on your own.

Mr. Grumpy, I honestly have to say I snickered when I read your post. Idaho Falls is NOT PROVO in so many ways. Many residents did attend BYU-Utah at sometime in their life, but culture-wise along with other demographics the two communities are not exactly identical. There is much more tolerance and open mindedness in Bonneville County compared to Utah County, in my experience.

That being said, I do agree with you that no one moving to Idaho Falls can expect to live anywhere in Bonneville County without Mormons, or Catholics, or non-religious nieghbors. So in that sense, I understand your comment about Provo and hoping to move there without having Mormon neighbors.

My obervation in several states has been often, those who don't belong to a religion (or aren't practicing) regardless of where they live have stronger views about large families than either Mormons or Catholics.

I encourage both families looking to relocate to the Idaho Falls area to utilize your current contacts (churches, employer if this is an employment change -check with HR and others working in the area) to get more info.

Good luck everyone

MSR

Old 03-07-2012, 07:05 AM

24 posts, read 101,076 times
Strawman here, but Romney is winning states due to his political posture winning votes, not because he is mormon.

I agree on IF being a great place to live; I want to move up there and help it stay a great place to live. Trouble? Heck No, we don't want no stinkin' trouble. I have narrowed down to 5 choices of house and the neighborhood, once I see it, will be the deciding factor. I'm glad to have this additional info on Ammon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls