U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 24,800 times

Advertisements

are there any cons about idaho falls? i hear all the good things was wondering if there were any bad lol - I'm looking at 2 cities to move to at the moment and IF is one of them thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM

21,232 posts, read 14,251,947 times
It all depends on what you think is bad. I.F. has boomed over the past 15 years, and we have some typical problems that came along with the rapid growth, but it would be easier to say what kind of problems we have if you would post some of your concerns.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM

where I'm from we have a lot of drug use and homeless people on the streets - this is a town of about 15K and I was surprised to see that when I moved here, considering the size of the town. I've lived most of my life on the East Coast and seen a lot so not too concerned about anything (well high crime would be bad lol) - I was just trying to see what the locals considered cons

thanks for the response

Old 04-08-2012, 04:12 PM

another question? are utility prices high? we pay a lot for electricity during the winter months - which i'm sure is the same everywhere

Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,791,666 times
Utility prices: Not high, not low, probably average. The Pacific Northwest has generally been low over the years, but in Idaho Falls, (some would say not really the Pacific Northwest), they are average.

Drug problems. Again, the area has some, but not to the extent of many other cities in the region.

Homeless, a few here and there. But you don't seem them on every other corner like other areas in our country. The winter probably has a lot to do with that.

Today, Easter Sunday, is fantastic though. Beautiful weather, about 66 degrees, looking for 70 on Monday. (But this being Eastern Idaho, we can expect it to cool down and warm up many more times before the warmth sets in for good).

Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedSomeSunshine View Post
another question? are utility prices high? we pay a lot for electricity during the winter months - which i'm sure is the same everywhere
Idaho Falls generates its own power and sells it to the Bonneville power grid. The rates here are the lowest of any major city in the state. (There are some small towns that have their own power grid- I think Salmon does- and their power may be lower than ours, but I don't know that for sure.)

Most homes here are heated by natural gas, and the gas rates went down last year. Water is not metered and is supplied by city-owned deep wells. The water quality is hard, but very clean. Hard water is typical of all S. Idaho.

There are drugs here, but I really can't say much about the size of the drug problem. There is an I.F. city website that may have more info about it. The cops seem to be on top of it- busts are regular and fairly frequent.

We do get some folks who are transporting pot through town to Montana, Oregon, and other places where it's legal, and those people get busted if caught.

I.F. has a drug court that was the first in the Woods Pilot Project, named after a judge who first proposed and championed it. The drug court is an alternative sentencing project- offenders can choose it instead of going to jail, and it's very strict, but it offers offenders rehab services. The recidivism rate for offenders is much better than those who go to jail, and it seems to be working pretty well.

We don't have very many homeless here, but there are some. I.F. has several agencies and shelters for them, some publicly funded, others privately funded. A lot of them are middle-aged single men, but there are some homeless families and women as well. There are seasonal homeless transients who come through in the milder months, but few live here year-round; it's too cold in the winters to be hospitable for them.

I grew up here, and back in the day, no one locked the doors on their homes and cars. This has changed, but not everyone locks up, and there's always some property theft going on around various parts of town. We don't have any carjacking or similar crimes, but items get lifted out of unlocked cars in parking lots now frequently.

The folks here seldom will introduce themselves to you if you move here, but if you introduce yourself to your neighbors, you will find them friendly. It's sometimes a slow process for newcomers, but once you get to know a few folks, it steadily becomes easier to meet others.

It's a real family-oriented town. Lots and lots of family events and activities.

We have some traffic congestion problems on the east side, due to the rapid growth of the past 15 years. It's better now than 2 years ago, as there was some extensive road improvement done, including a bunch of new traffic lights, but there are still places where it's too heavy.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM

thanks for all the info we also live in a very small town as I said before which also happens to be a very poor town. It seems like the people here abuse the welfare system and have been living on it for generations, and it's obvious to see to newcomers like ourselves. I'm not sure if it's the economy or just the fact that it's been a poor town for so long as the locals claim. Does IF have a lot of people like this? I'm expecting with a much higher population you will have some but not to the extent of what we have. Sorry to seem like I'm ridiculing the town I love in but it wasn't what I expected after travelling from coast to coast lol and I'm learning new things i want from different cities

what exactly is the "cowboy way of life" i keep reading about?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedSomeSunshine View Post
thanks for all the info we also live in a very small town as I said before which also happens to be a very poor town. It seems like the people here abuse the welfare system and have been living on it for generations, and it's obvious to see to newcomers like ourselves. I'm not sure if it's the economy or just the fact that it's been a poor town for so long as the locals claim. Does IF have a lot of people like this? I'm expecting with a much higher population you will have some but not to the extent of what we have. Sorry to seem like I'm ridiculing the town I love in but it wasn't what I expected after travelling from coast to coast lol and I'm learning new things i want from different cities

what exactly is the "cowboy way of life" i keep reading about?
Hi, Sunshine...
I.F. has it's welfare folks- it's natural to expect some, always, in a town this size, and the Great Recession has probably added to the rolls.
But all in all, this is an industrious town full of self-sufficient folks. It's rated in the top 10 by Forbes magazine as a place for starting up a small business, and there are a lot of them.

Idaho in general is like this. The people here have always been resourceful and independent, and full of self-sufficiency. In tough times, Idahoans make do, and in fat times, they paint the house and fix up the car.

In this area, the Cowboy Way is still strong. It mostly revolves around horses for those who don't own farms and ranches, and there are still a lot of farms and ranches here. Lots of people wear cowboy hats and clothes and boots, not from passing fads of fashion but through daily use; you'll see a lot of folks who look like they live in their outfit, and they do, for sure.

This culture isn't as strong as it was when I was a kid, but it's still plenty strong. You will see a guy wearing a beat-up cowboy hat and boots that have cow manure on them cutting million-dollar deals at any bank in town. They coexist with folks who are outdoorsmen, folks who like to climb mountains, go hiking and camping with the kids, ride mountain bikes, etc.

Country music is popular here, and lots of folks who live in town own a horse and stable it in one of several stables and arenas that are in the area.

There's room to spare for all of them. Idaho Falls isn't as cowboy as it once was, and there are other towns in the area where it's more cowboy than here, but that's a part of living in Idaho, from top to bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls