Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times

Advertisements

MSR and others, here is a disturbing bit of news for Idaho and health care:

Worst states for doctor shortage:
Quote:
10 states with the fewest doctors
10. Georgia
9. Wyoming
8. Oklahoma
7. Nevada
6. Alabama
5. Texas
4. Idaho
> Doctors per 100,000 people: 172.5
> Medical students per 100,000 people: N/A
> Pct. without health insurance: 17.7% (11th highest)
> Life expectancy: 79.2 years (20th highest)

Although Idaho's doctor shortage is among the worst in the nation, the state's lack of medical residents is potentially just as problematic. There are just 3.9 medical residents per 100,000 people in Idaho — the second-worst figure in the U.S. and well below the national figure of 35.8 per 100,000. The Pending retirement of doctors in the state is also an issue. In a report on Idaho's doctor shortage, NPR noted that 41.5% of physicians in the state are 55 and older. Idaho is one of just a few states that has no accredited medical school.

3. Utah
2. Arkansas
1. Mississippi
> Doctors per 100,000 people: 159.4
> Medical students per 100,000 people: 20.2 (13th lowest)
> Pct. without health insurance: 18.2% (9th highest)
> Life expectancy: 74.8 years (the lowest)

Mississippi is sorely lacking in doctors. The life expectancy in Mississippi was just 74.8 years, the lowest rate in the country. The state's overweight or obesity rate was 68.8%, while 12.4% of the state had diabetes, both the second-highest rates in the country. The rural care centers in Mississippi are suffering the most, with lawmakers and hospitals working to provide incentives for doctors to relocate to those areas. In 2011, a group of Mississippi legislators proposed a program to provide grants to doctors who work in rural Mississippi for at least five years. That legislation eventually died. Meanwhile, the Appalachian Regional Commission has sponsored a visa waiver program for years to try and recruit international doctors.
Doctor shortage could take turn for the worse

And which state would be number one in numbers of physicians per 100,000 residents? And why?
Quote:
1. Massachusetts
> Doctors per 100,000 people: 314.8
> Medical students per 100,000 people: 45.0 (8th highest)
> Pct. without health insurance: 4.4% (the lowest)
> Life expectancy: 80.1 years (6th highest)

Massachusetts has the lowest uninsured rate in the country because of the near-universal health coverage enacted back in 2006. The wide coverage helped attract doctors to practice in the state since they reap far more money on insured patients than on uninsured ones. Massachusetts also spent more than $9,200 on health care for each resident, more than any other state. The state's residents were clearly healthier than the U.S. population as a whole. Only 14.1% of state residents were smokers, the fourth-lowest percentage in the country. And although about six in 10 adults were either overweight or obese, it was the fifth-lowest rate in the U.S. and nearly four percentage points below the national rate.
same source

So you want to attract more doctors? Massachusetts requires health insurance and currently has fewer uninsured people than any other state in the Union. Insured people have the ability to provide their doctors with payment.

Frankly this is the only thing I've read about Idaho that makes gives me pause. Virtually everything else is a positive. But I'm old, I'm not established with a physician as many of you long time residents are, and I'm diabetic (well controlled) with a back problem. But I read these things and wonder (old actuary who contemplates the risk in everything).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
When we moved my mom here in 2003, that is one thing I never worried about. She was in her late 60's, but afflicted with MS. It turns out being up the road from U of U was the best thing ever! She also suffered from Trigeminal Neuralgia and U of U had the only neurosurgeon that was able to safely offer her relief. She went from not being able to open her mouth to take her BP meds, to being able to actually eat a solid meal once again.

So even though there are no med schools here, we're only a few hours from an awesome teaching university.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
MSR and others, here is a disturbing bit of news for Idaho and health care:

Worst states for doctor shortage:

Doctor shortage could take turn for the worse

And which state would be number one in numbers of physicians per 100,000 residents? And why?

same source

So you want to attract more doctors? Massachusetts requires health insurance and currently has fewer uninsured people than any other state in the Union. Insured people have the ability to provide their doctors with payment.

Frankly this is the only thing I've read about Idaho that makes gives me pause. Virtually everything else is a positive. But I'm old, I'm not established with a physician as many of you long time residents are, and I'm diabetic (well controlled) with a back problem. But I read these things and wonder (old actuary who contemplates the risk in everything).
That is not news to some of us. I saw a neurology abstract today that talked about how severe the shortage of neurologists would be by 2020. We're at that 5 yr mark when practitioners 5+ years ago decided if they would retire, limit patients to a private pay scale, work for a hospital OT how they would survive

Despite my reason being different in the post I wrote about not the newest cardiologist in 2013, but the 3 who were recruited to Idaho Falls ( or came to join former colleagues) the 3 cardiologists who relocated prior to do Dr. G. in 2013, all came from AZ and. warm weather.
Unless something changes drastically, they will be welcoming the first female adult cardiologist this summer.

You live in arguably the best state in the nation when it comes to health care. Rx continues to build more medical schools and train residents/ fellows. More than 10% of docs in Idaho Falls attended medical school or residency/ fellowship training in TX.

It is one of those facts that is hard to see in other states not knowing the full stories. I wouldn't trust a #s only count on Jackson Hole docs. About 5-6 practice in Idaho Falls. More importantly, many on staff at St. John's practice 1-2 weeks/ year during a vacation- they practice full time elsewhere. Unfortunately, St. John's doesn't clarify that info.

Welcome, Warden, to what we outside of the UT Medical School systems have been living with.

MSR

Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
When we moved my mom here in 2003, that is one thing I never worried about. She was in her late 60's, but afflicted with MS. It turns out being up the road from U of U was the best thing ever! She also suffered from Trigeminal Neuralgia and U of U had the only neurosurgeon that was able to safely offer her relief. She went from not being able to open her mouth to take her BP meds, to being able to actually eat a solid meal once again.

So even though there are no med schools here, we're only a few hours from an awesome teaching university.
Your mom got the care she did cuz of YOU Cleosmom!

You are correct about the U of Utah having some of the leading MS neurologists in the nation if not world. MS patients tend to do better in colder climates so many moved north.

And I'll agree your mom got great care from that neurosurgeon, although I think I told you why he wasn't my favorite. It's irrelevant now given who the Dept Chairman is and his ranking nationally in Skull-based neurosurgery. He's got an active fellowship going to train more Skull-based neurosurgeons.

Your point is a good one overall that medical help is available. I'll argue more and more of the specialties are based locally. I can make that claim first b/c it is true and secondly based on 4 job postings I saw last week.

Three of the jobs were from the U of Utah as full-time positions to work in 3 intermountain communities to make sure pts. were still being sent to the U.

The three cities might surprise you. In no specific order they are: 1. Las Vegas, 2. Boise and 3. Idaho Falls. The U wouldn't being hiring at the high salary rate if patients were coming as much as they were.

IHC also posted a position for a similar job. They had 1 market where they wanted to hire someone : Idaho Falls. The NICU and PICU in Idaho Falls are being noticed at PCMC and some of the additional cardiologists and others save people traveling.

I just wish the MS center had been built when your mom needed it years ago.

One can travel through many states and not find a daughter like you. Your mom got the care she needed b/c of YOU!!!! I'll give you credit for what you did for your mom cuz you can't yet

Wish I could rep you but I can't . I sure hope others are reaping you given how much you help others!

MSR

Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Your mom got the care she did cuz of YOU Cleosmom!

You are correct about the U of Utah having some of the leading MS neurologists in the nation if not world. MS patients tend to do better in colder climates so many moved north.

And I'll agree your mom got great care from that neurosurgeon, although I think I told you why he wasn't my favorite. It's irrelevant now given who the Dept Chairman is and his ranking nationally in Skull-based neurosurgery. He's got an active fellowship going to train more Skull-based neurosurgeons.

Your point is a good one overall that medical help is available. I'll argue more and more of the specialties are based locally. I can make that claim first b/c it is true and secondly based on 4 job postings I saw last week.

Three of the jobs were from the U of Utah as full-time positions to work in 3 intermountain communities to make sure pts. were still being sent to the U.

The three cities might surprise you. In no specific order they are: 1. Las Vegas, 2. Boise and 3. Idaho Falls. The U wouldn't being hiring at the high salary rate if patients were coming as much as they were.

IHC also posted a position for a similar job. They had 1 market where they wanted to hire someone : Idaho Falls. The NICU and PICU in Idaho Falls are being noticed at PCMC and some of the additional cardiologists and others save people traveling.

I just wish the MS center had been built when your mom needed it years ago.

One can travel through many states and not find a daughter like you. Your mom got the care she needed b/c of YOU!!!! I'll give you credit for what you did for your mom cuz you can't yet

Wish I could rep you but I can't . I sure hope others are reaping you given how much you help others!

MSR
I don't help out to get rep'd, but thank you anyway. When mom still lived in CA, the procedure one neurosurgeon wanted to could have killed according to the one who tended to her at U of U. Given how close they would have been to the brain, it worried both one of my brothers and myself. It was music to my ear when she went from having her meds ground and mixed with water and syringed into her mouth for her calling my husband me *&^holes for going to Cracker Barrel in Layton while she was in the hospital

Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I don't help out to get rep'd, but thank you anyway. When mom still lived in CA, the procedure one neurosurgeon wanted to could have killed according to the one who tended to her at U of U. Given how close they would have been to the brain, it worried both one of my brothers and myself. It was music to my ear when she went from having her meds ground and mixed with water and syringed into her mouth for her calling my husband me *&^holes for going to Cracker Barrel in Layton while she was in the hospital
I think you made ALL the right choices for you mom, Cleosmom. I honestly believe she got the best care she could with you.

I do agree her neurosurgeon had the fundamentals down better than whoever examined her in CA. But mostly I'm glad she had you and your brother to be her advocates.

I know you don't post to get rep points, but I think some take advantage of your good nature too much and don't do much in return. I just wish I could rep you more cuz you have such good ideas.

If you didn't see what I posted under the Softball last night, check it out. There is a great new publication for all the summertime activities.

Shooey, we've been so swamped we didn't even get the Fly fish tying thing on here this year, or at least I didn't see it. Anyway, you might be interested in some of those activities (or not ).

Your mom was blessed to have YOU! You got her the best care you could and I'm so embarrassed I missed the anniversary of her passing this year. I know she was happy in your care - even if others ate at Cracker Barrel. That cracks me up (what your mom thought)

You're a great contribution to CD and you RARELY get the recognition you deserve, Cleosmom. So deal with it when I recognize you for being the awesome person you are!

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls