Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 PM

385 posts, read 523,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Nothing irritates me more than those who move to a new place asking it to change. Go back to where you came from if you're going to pull that mess.
I bet the Native Americans feel the same way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 05:11 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,390,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Growing up in the 80s, I fondly remember when stores were closed on Sunday. It was quiet and peaceful, and we spent a lot of time together as a family. The parks were full. People were outside. The only places that were open were restaurants for Sunday lunch.

Now we've made "progress." I'm glad there are some places left in American with sanity left.
Does that mean you'll be rejoining the Idaho Falls community in practice? BTW - welcome to the thread.

MSR

Old 11-23-2013, 08:11 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,505,897 times
When I was new here I thought I was so smart heading out to Winco one fine Sunday morning..."everyone will be at church!" I thought to myself...ok I know cleosmom is laughing at this....Never been back to Winco on a Sunday since.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,219,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
When I was new here I thought I was so smart heading out to Winco one fine Sunday morning..."everyone will be at church!" I thought to myself...ok I know cleosmom is laughing at this....Never been back to Winco on a Sunday since.
Now honestly, why would I be laughing at this??? ok

Old 10-25-2015, 07:50 AM

In case anyone was wondering, all of the Jiffy Lube and Les Schwab locations in Idaho Falls are closed on Sundays

Old 10-25-2015, 03:22 PM

29,184 posts, read 22,210,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
In case anyone was wondering, all of the Jiffy Lube and Les Schwab locations in Idaho Falls are closed on Sundays
All the tire stores in Idaho Falls are closed Sundays except for the Big O store on the Northgate Mile (N. Yellowstone Highway.) It's open part of the day Sunday, but closes earlier than the rest of the week.

I learned that the hard way a few years ago when I decided I needed my winter tires installed before I took off on a day trip to Montana on an early December Sunday. I was glad they were open and I got my tires installed- the weather here was warm and fine, but I ran into a blizzard on the other side of the Divide, and my one-day trip turned into two, mostly waiting for the heavy storm to quit before coming back home.

The folks at Big O did a good job for me, and I would go there again but for the fact that my usual tire store knows me and my car much better. I bought the tires from them. But in similar circumstances, Big O is my solid second choice.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:23 PM

168 posts, read 171,917 times
Anyone who has spent any time in a modern, metropolitan area (L.A., San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Seattle, etc) will have to do some major adjusting when deciding to settle in a place like Idaho Falls. The "charm" of Idaho's small town America comes with a price. Part of that price is the Puritanical/Provincial thinking that is pervasive in the area of open mindedness, whether that be relative to liquor sales, religious or political viewpoints, or personally sensitive areas such as sexual orientation and lifestyle. Is the trade-off worth it? Probably, but it is still a step back in time, and an inconvenience.
Personally, my wife and I have decided not to support businesses that follow creeds/doctrines mandating how and when they conduct business.
I like the idea of a list of places that do conduct business on Sundays, and would be happy to contribute.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:53 AM

Not Idaho Falls, but close enough. I see this story is making national news. One of my buddies back East sent me the links to the petition site.

https://www.change.org/p/everyone-ke...en-on-sunday/c

versus

https://www.change.org/p/walmart-mak...-work-together

Old 02-08-2016, 11:40 AM

29,184 posts, read 22,210,687 times
I think a paradigm shift is more necessary than an ever-changing list of what is open or not on Sundays.

I just wrote a long (and rambling) reply to a post Cleosmon wrote about downtown development on this matter.

Essentially, we need to start questioning why we have to drive around to get the things we need any day of the week. It makes more sense to have businesses deliver goods to us than for us to go to them. A lot of what I said in my other post was Idaho Falls was once this way- groceries were delivered as much as refrigerators.

Why restrict home delivery to pizza, sandwiches, and medicine to the elderly? Why not all the other commonly needed small goods we all need regularly as well?

What do we want when we go to Jumba Juice? The experience of drinking in Jumba Juice, or only a big cup of juice?
Sometimes, I think, one or the other. It all depends on the event. I would sure like an option other than a long drive in traffic, in a car that cost me a lot of money to buy and even more to keep up and fueled, to spend a little money for a Jumba Juice treat. Especially when Jumba Juice could be so easily and cheaply delivered for a little extra money.

That delivery money on a pizza is less than the wear and tear on my car, for sure. Small delivery could become big business in Idaho Falls, where our climate makes riding around in any vehicle difficult at times, and impossible in other times. Since it's already done nationally so widely- Amazon now sells groceries- why not change our thinking and habits?

We would create a lot of new jobs, eliminate a lot of our biggest traffic problems, and encourage growth in more productive ways if we were able to have our goods delivered to us rather than going out and getting them ourselves. It once worked fine here in Idaho Falls. I was around when small delivery was still common here. it can work even better nowadays.

And if a business wants to close on Sundays, let them do it. We can always get someone else to deliver our needs and treats if we begin to think of things differently.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,390,986 times
There already are two grocery stores who will deliver groceries in greater Idaho Falls, although I don't know about Sundays. One is downtown and Broulim's -Ammon is the other. I can't remember the store's name on West Elva. They want to deliver more. Do a search and find them. I think Bizmojo did a feature on them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls