U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 AM

21,426 posts, read 14,367,840 times

Advertisements

The truck stop just north of town on N. Holmes/Lewisville highway is open Sundays and is a good place to eat; all the breads and other offerings are made from scratch there.
Smitty's Pancake House on Broadway is locally owned and has been one of the favorite places to have Sunday brunch for ages. There are several other local eateries along Broadway that are open Sundays as well.

Once you leave the mall area and travel around all the older thoroughfares through town, you will find lots of locally owned restaurants with all kinds of cuisine, and several locally owned drive-ins as well that are open Sundays. The downtown has several of the best, including very good Thai and Chinese places.

Many of the hotels along the falls also have restaurants that are locally owned and/or contracted, and the Sandpiper, one of our best steak houses, is open Sundays for part of the day. It's located in the middle of hotel row, just across from Kiefer's island. Jaker's, another fine steakhouse that's open Sundays, is just down the road from the Sandpiper.

Idaho Falls is a very entrepreneurial town. We have always had lots of local cafés and restaurants, and some have very long histories. The North Hiway Café has been open continuously since 1937 and has always been a very popular place to eat. Most don't advertise much, so newcomers have to ask around and look them up, but they are there, and many do as well or better than the chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM

382 posts, read 389,603 times
thanks for the info! Somebody at Sandpiper needs to notify the internet that they're indeed open on Sundays. When you google Sandpiper, it clearly states that they're closed on Sundays. Imagine the business they're losing due to that mistake

Old 09-02-2013, 01:04 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,153,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
My shopping experience update after living here for two weeks...
Sunday is the best day thus far.
Avoid 17th like the plague at all times except really early in the morning.
Checkout lines, whether it's Walmart, Grocery store, or whatever...be prepared for slow clerks. They just seem to be on a different speed than the rest of the world and I had to prep my husband for his first trip out, otherwise he might have had a second heart attack. BUT, most are way friendly so it makes it hard to get mad.
Lack of mom and pop stores at least that I've seen yet, but I thought the service was great at Lucy's New York Pizzeria on 25th and they made a great "non-big-chain" pizza.
Not much but my two cents so far
Atvwife,

Any information helps others. The best news seems to be your husband is improving, at least I hope so.

Depending on where one needs to go, Sunnyside Road , can be much quicker than 17th. Or using north/south roads like Woodruff to 9th, John Adams Parkway, 1st street or Lincoln Road might all be quicker. You'll find your own bunny paths as you know more side streets.

The construction of the natural food store is moving along. It is across the street from Baskin-Robbins on 17th. But there may be other ways to access it- we'll have to see what other street access it has.

I hope life becomes more calm for you and your family. If have the chance watch one of these beautiful sunsets outside. This is the last month for the Farmers Markets and potato harvest will start in about a month. Lots of new experiences.

MSR

Old 09-02-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
thanks for the info! Somebody at Sandpiper needs to notify the internet that they're indeed open on Sundays. When you google Sandpiper, it clearly states that they're closed on Sundays. Imagine the business they're losing due to that mistake
Tmp4,

I recommend you notify the Sandpiper, given your experience. You'll help others and potentially make a friend at the Sandpiper, which is always great to have.

Kudos to Banj o Mike for reviewing options with you! I was puzzled which restaurants and more were closed on Sunday by the river and west. Tourists eat 7 days a week.

I think we've mentioned the North Hiway Cafe in so threads we've probably confused some. A lot of businesses are olen on Sunday. Maybe we all should add to the list of stores/eateries open on Sunday.

I don't think there is a Cleaners open, but many businesses have shorter Sunday hrs.

Try Smitty's sometime. It's on W. Broadway near the Marriott R.I. They serve breakfast all day long and a lot of other good entrees.And restaurants are open on Sunday in SRL.

I also thought of you when I saw the City Rec teams forming. Check out Parks and Recreation at the city's website to see if you want to get involved with any sports.

MSR

Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM

209 posts, read 260,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Atvwife,

Any information helps others. The best news seems to be your husband is improving, at least I hope so.

Depending on where one needs to go, Sunnyside Road , can be much quicker than 17th. Or using north/south roads like Woodruff to 9th, John Adams Parkway, 1st street or Lincoln Road might all be quicker. You'll find your own bunny paths as you know more side streets.

The construction of the natural food store is moving along. It is across the street from Baskin-Robbins on 17th. But there may be other ways to access it- we'll have to see what other street access it has.

I hope life becomes more calm for you and your family. If have the chance watch one of these beautiful sunsets outside. This is the last month for the Farmers Markets and potato harvest will start in about a month. Lots of new experiences.

MSR
Thanks MSR, hubby has made a fantastic recovery (doc said even if he had a physical before nothing would have shown up that he was going to have a heart attack - cholesterol and blood pressure were all normal). Anyway, we did indeed figure out Sunnyside is much easier, and still have to learn some of the other smaller side streets. Any good local pubs on the east side of town?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 PM

4,659 posts, read 15,777,016 times
Quote:
Thanks MSR, hubby has made a fantastic recovery (doc said even if he had a physical before nothing would have shown up that he was going to have a heart attack - cholesterol and blood pressure were all normal). Anyway, we did indeed figure out Sunnyside is much easier, and still have to learn some of the other smaller side streets. Any good local pubs on the east side of town?
Glad to hear his recovery has gone well. Pubs on the east side... hmm not so much other than the eateries that serve alcohol; Carino's, Texas Roadhouse.... most bars are downtown.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
GREAT NEWS ABOUT YOUR HUBBY!!!!

The Post Register published about two weeks ago who sold the most bottles ( beer and wine were excluded). I.F. is not dry . Almost 77,000 bottles of alcohol were sold in bars. Wonder what the numbers would be if beer and wine were included.

Pubs on the eastside... nope except what Cleosmom mentioned in the restuarants.

For an Pub probably the Celt downtown on Broadway is your best bet. The Peppertree on Holmes has different live bands, or Karoke.

Pockets came in first place. It's on Lincoln Road at the Yellowstone Intersection. The Elks lodge on East Elva probably gets a calmer croud than Muddy's and other.

The Blue Wave on Rollandet and about 19th Street, is a favorite of many for the food and drinks.

Check out maps, menus and hrs. I hope something quenches some of your thirst.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 09-04-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Let's Update Again - Best ISP?

We have a few people who were asking questions 3-6 months ago that can maybe help us update info for newer, prospective and established residents.

I know many like Digis for their ISP. What I didn't realize until today is Digis can be obtained through Big Dog or at Digis-Idaho, which was Microserve. One thing that is different about Digis-Idaho is they do not require a two year contract like Microserve did. Otherwise, does anyone have any experience/thoughts about whether it makes a difference of whether one gets this ISP from Big Dog or Digis-Idaho?

Any updates from anyone regarding which ISP you like?

Thanks

MSR

Old 12-20-2013, 05:38 AM

4,659 posts, read 15,777,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
We have a few people who were asking questions 3-6 months ago that can maybe help us update info for newer, prospective and established residents.

I know many like Digis for their ISP. What I didn't realize until today is Digis can be obtained through Big Dog or at Digis-Idaho, which was Microserve. One thing that is different about Digis-Idaho is they do not require a two year contract like Microserve did. Otherwise, does anyone have any experience/thoughts about whether it makes a difference of whether one gets this ISP from Big Dog or Digis-Idaho?

Any updates from anyone regarding which ISP you like?

Thanks

MSR
We have been using Digis for more than a year now, back when it was through Big Dog. I love it, can't complain all that much. IMO, it's treated me better than our previous provider!

Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 PM

Default Updates Needed Please

With our great weather today, some may start thinking about Spring/Summer foods and activities, let alone day trips and more.

Let's update this thread as we have some new options than before for shopping and eating.

Has anyone been to McKenzie's Pizza yet? If so, how was it?

I still remain surprised at all the yogurt (ice cream in some) and CupCake shops we have. Which one is your favorite?

I still like Cold Stone for sherbert. CupCakes, I will vote for the CocoaBean, I think that is the name. It's close to Edwards Theaters and close to Five Guys burgers.

What stores, restaurants, activities are you looking forward to as warmer days become the norm

msr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls