Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 11:16 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,371,576 times

Advertisements

As we have more foreign residents and new neighbors moving into Bonneville County (8B) let's start an updated list of some of our favorites to help our new neighbors-to-be.

I'm not asking anyone to tell your favorite fishing hole , let's just be good neighbors and tell those moving in where they can find specialty items or where you like to shop and what one can find in some of the lesser known stores.

I'll start with two stores that were pleasant surprises for me.

Hastings on the corner of 17th street and S. Holmes. Searching for more stores I was surprised to learn this Book, CD, DVD and more store. Local authors are scheduled to sign books. They accept trade ins on CDs ( and DVDs too, I think). They fix scratches in CDs and DVDs for a reasonable cost.

They also have Apple supplies and various MP3s and related items.

Never in my life have I shopped in a bookstore that allows shoppers to buy Popcorn and various drinks so you can enjoy the experience more. Wow, with all these positives what could make if even better? How about Free WiFi with seating at tables or couches in front of a big screen tv. Of course the coffee shop (Rocky Mtn., I believe) is open late with yummy treats. They also have a drive through.

Check the hours, I believe it is open until 11:00 p m most nights.

With all these great things what could be better? The selection of some bands which have been essentially only available online, and the prices! I bought 3 CDs for less than $10.00! Of course prices depend on what you want. But even new releases and items available only online were cheaper than other competitors.

I consider Hastings a Gem in the Gem State. It's fine with me if no one else likes Hastings, just more room for me and those who already know about this store. For me, finding three sections of a power trio I love, was unbelievable! I've never seen that many CDs of one of my three favorite bands in any state where I've shopped for CDs.

Hastings is a treasure for people like me :

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 AM

Yes, I got so caught up in how relaxing and awesome Hastings adds I forgot to add my second unique store. I'm not sure if this store is even available outside of ID. I read the history of this store today and was surprised by something's I learned.

My second store is King's. Mostly, I believe the big boxes and specialty stores have closed these unique stores in the larger cities. Idaho Falls no longer has a King's but a short road trip to Rigby's original store or the big newer store in Shelley is worth the drive.

King's doesn't sell groceries but otherwise not much would surprise me from King's. I imagine this is what a general store use to be like except there wasn't the stove, open checkers being played and no pickles or boiled eggs at the checkout. Otherwise, from clothes to yard rakes to automotive supplies to seeds for planting and MP3 players, this store has a little bit of everything.

I've honestly not had the time to go through the entire store so I can't really say all that is there. I'd recommend calling ahead of time to learn if they have what you need. I've been told King's has all sorts of items needed for house repairs that appear on the "Honey Do," lists.

My first and fondest memory of the original King's in Shelley was going Toy Shopping with my grandmother for my birthday. My cousins did the same on their birthdays too. King's has always had a great toy supply at prices that are probably a little cheaper than competition in surrounding cities.

Next time you need a variety of items for projects you might want to consider checking with Kings.

Who has some favorite watering holes, late night snacks or favorite donut/ coffee business, please list them. This is about what YOU like and feel welcome not comparing businesses. Let's share places that would have made our moving a little easier if we'd known about these local finds.

Thanks,

MSR

Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
Favorite breakfast spot: North Hiway Café (they serve all three meals, but I love their breakfast.

Favorite Veterinarian: In Bonneville County it is Colby Burr DVM owns/operates Ammon Vet. A short trip to Shelley and it is Shelley Veterinary Hospital.

Favorite Pet Supply: AmeriPet Hotel & Pet Center; boarding, grooming, doggy daycare and super premium (Made in the USA) foods and treats.

Favorite pizza spot: In Bonneville County Papa Tom's pizza, short drive to Jefferson County would be Heise Pizza

Favorite burger spot: Here it comes, something that is a national chain; Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Favorite Mexican food, sorry we have to drive to Blackfoot and go to Melina's

Favorite grocery: any that I can get in and out of without throngs of people

Favorite sub sandwich spot: Gandolfo's, yes it's a national chain, but locally owned & operated.

Great topic MSR

Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,605,797 times
Hastings is great, but they don't have all the titles I'm looking for. However, I will overlook this as they are basically the only game in town.

I love a hometown chain called "Dick's" in Seattle for burgers. The closest I can find to that simple cheeseburger is the A&W Cheeseburger. I believe they still operate just outside of Blackfoot, and may have seen a sign that they have re-opened at exit 113, just south of IF. True, or an hallucination?

Lucy's Pizza is the best in IF, IMO. But, (and this is weird), they are better when you order "large". Not sure why.

Groceries: (see other posts), but yes, I agree, uncrowded stores with EZ checkout are the best. I'm willing to pay more for that, and that is why I still like Albertsons, despite their preferred card conniptions of late.

Sandwiches: Arby's does well for the fast food crowd. Gandolfo's is also good. Anyone try "The Sandwich Tree" on 17th near Yellowstone? I have not yet, but my co-workers are crazy about it. The food at the "The Blue Wave" is also above average, also a fav among my co-workers.

Breakfast...I'm somewhat of a breakfast snob, but I do enjoy Elmers's (only in Pocatello). Shari's is decent, but average. Gonna need to try North Hiway.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 PM

208 posts, read 316,887 times
For the crowds and shopping, is it better going in the middle of the week vs. the weekend?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,605,797 times
Oh you hit a nerve here with me. Seems like everyone in IF shops on Saturday between 9am and 3pm. Avoid this time period if at all possible, especially Wal-Mart. Sunday morning around 10 AM is the best time to shop.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Favorite breakfast spot: North Hiway Café (they serve all three meals, but I love their breakfast.

Favorite Veterinarian: In Bonneville County it is Colby Burr DVM owns/operates Ammon Vet. A short trip to Shelley and it is Shelley Veterinary Hospital.

Favorite Pet Supply: AmeriPet Hotel & Pet Center; boarding, grooming, doggy daycare and super premium (Made in the USA) foods and treats.
P
Favorite pizza spot: In Bonneville County Papa Tom's pizza, short drive to Jefferson County would be Heise Pizza

Favorite burger spot: Here it comes, something that is a national chain; Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Favorite Mexican food, sorry we have to drive to Blackfoot and go to Melina's

Favorite grocery: any that I can get in and out of without throngs of people

Favorite sub sandwich spot: Gandolfo's, yes it's a national chain, but locally owned & operated.

Great topic MSR
THanks Cleosmom. I honestly did start this for a couple of families I know are moving soon. That being said, it's always nice to get updates from others when trying to learn who is providing the most unique services, best care or the best food currently.

What do you think about the new Montana Pizza restAurant headed our way?

Post more favorites when you think of them. You always know good businesses.

Thanks

MSR

Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Hastings is great, but they don't have all the titles I'm looking for. However, I will overlook this as they are basically the only game in town.

I love a hometown chain called "Dick's" in Seattle for burgers. The closest I can find to that simple cheeseburger is the A&W Cheeseburger. I believe they still operate just outside of Blackfoot, and may have seen a sign that they have re-opened at exit 113, just south of IF. True, or an hallucination?

Lucy's Pizza is the best in IF, IMO. But, (and this is weird), they are better when you order "large". Not sure why.

Groceries: (see other posts), but yes, I agree, uncrowded stores with EZ checkout are the best. I'm willing to pay more for that, and that is why I still like Albertsons, despite their preferred card conniptions of late.

Sandwiches: Arby's does well for the fast food crowd. Gandolfo's is also good. Anyone try "The Sandwich Tree" on 17th near Yellowstone? I have not yet, but my co-workers are crazy about it. The food at the "The Blue Wave" is also above average, also a fav among my co-workers.

Breakfast...I'm somewhat of a breakfast snob, but I do enjoy Elmers's (only in Pocatello). Shari's is decent, but average. Gonna need to try North Hiway.
pw72

I respect we all like different things. Of course I'll want to know your opinion about the new Pizza shop in SRL too. Help me understand what is so great at Elmer's compared to Smitty's or other local restaurants. Maybe Elmer's has something new on their menu that I've never tried.

I am a Smitty's fan. I like German pancakes and other specialties they do.

About Hastings, my friend, where can one get CDs in Pocatello? Barnes and Noble has a fair selection of CDs and some DVDs as well as the CD place on East 25th- CD world or whatever. Plus Target and some other stores have some variety in DVDs and CDs.

I admit I rarely shop for CDs as no one in Salt Lake had what I wanted so I'd just go online and order. What other stores online or regionally should I search for my favs?

I agree some artists are harder to find than others. That's why I was in Heaven to find 3 sections full of a band I adore (that went into the RRHOF this year and their thread in City Data would have several posts by me). One always has the Internet for unique tastes in music. Still, I've never been in a store that encouraged getting a drink and pop corn while looking around.

I think you are correct about an A and W at the exit. Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind I remember that discussion years ago.

I really appreciate you sharing favs with us pw, I just have to give you a hard time about Hastings as it was truly a great experience for me ( the 3-4 times I've visited). .

What about Mexican food, hardware shopping and lumber etc. . Lots of good info for us to learn about pw72's favorite places.

Thanks!

MSR

Old 06-30-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Oh you hit a nerve here with me. Seems like everyone in IF shops on Saturday between 9am and 3pm. Avoid this time period if at all possible, especially Wal-Mart. Sunday morning around 10 AM is the best time to shop.
I wonder if part of that excess traffic on Sat 9-3 is due to truly being the retail hub for ~300K people? I don't know what Rexburg or Driggs sells in local grocery stores so I suspect some of them getting Groceries not available in their local shops.

We seem to have a small collection of us here who seem to plan around the fast line. We need Michelle Wheatley and some of our other newer residents may have different views on shopping for more people.

There are still lots of locals who shop during the hrs. you mentioned. Working parents may prefer to get it done early or have activities etc. in the afternoons.

Thanks again, pw72 . Along with Cleosmom and you, I don't like lines either.

MSR

Old 07-01-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
For the crowds and shopping, is it better going in the middle of the week vs. the weekend?
It depends, atvwife. If people are working at INL and getting on buses at 6:30 or whenever then getting home about 12 hrs. later, I'd say the odds are good they would go grocery and errand shopping on weekends. What time probably depends on piano, dance, violin, Karate etc. lessons if they have kids in activities.
Conversely, if getaways are planned, nights can be pretty busy at some stores.

One store no one mentioned yet, but is a favorite of many, is Winco. It's a chain that is expanding to other states rapidly. I think it's fair to say Albertsons, Smith's and Winco seem to stock certain items the others don't. Even though Fred Meyers is a Krueger store like Smith's, they don't have identical inventory.

Hopefully, some of our other friends who post will share additional info from their experiences.

If it's possible to go shopping on a weekday, try it. Also, sometimes at off peak times clerks can be a lot more helpful too

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls