Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
What do you think?

Check out the info about KIDK/KXPI. When is says that NPG and Vista West have a shared agreement for "back office, engineering and sales" do you think KIDK is going to add more staff and perhaps more newcasts - or local specialty programming? Or add at least two more over-the-air stations so KIDK has 3 sub-channels let alone if more were added to KXPI? I can see how another Spanish-speaking and other targeted channels could do well locally.

Read the announcement and add your thoughts please. We do know from past history certain media read our comments here. They may or may not be reading these comments, I don't know. I do know questions posted earlier are answered in this link. It is also interesting how rapidly and prominently this was posted.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

LocalNews8.com | KIDK.com | KXPI - Breaking and Local News, Weather, Sports, Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson, Rexburg, Blackfoot, then click on "About Us" and read the
"Addition Information" to click on KIDK/KXPI.

Sorry I can't post the direct link from this phone. But this way lets you see the new section.

MSR
I do not expect any increase in local programming with this ownership change. If anything, I predict less. Much of this will be played out in the coming year, but the likely outcome will be negative for the IF/Poky market. I do not know the inside strategy here, but I do know that cost realization will come into play. The new owners have made it clear they want nothing to do with Sincliar, or NPG, but will continue the agreement with NPG for the time being. More to come.

Last edited by pw72; 08-28-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I do not expect any increase in local programming with this ownership change. If anything, I predict less. Much of this will be played out in the coming year, but the likely outcome will be negative for the IF/Poky market. I do not know the inside strategy here, but I do know that cost realization will come into play. The new owners have made it clear they want nothing to do with Sincliar, or NPG, but will continue the agreement with NPG for the time being. More to come.
Interesting, pw. Thanks!

I hope this isn't too negative. I know sometimes there are contractual agreements of when networks or talent can appear in the media again.. Jen Austen for example.
Perhaps the new owner's strategy contains some of the following, given both your info and the blurb about financing from banks to make this happen, wanting to get KIDK/KXPI into a separate facility and perhaps bringing Fox back the way it was.

Since the new owner was a former employee, of Sinclair, if I remember correctly, he certainly has a plan of what he wants to do with how quickly things are moving.

Potentially getting KIDK/KXPI in a new location with 1-2 studios could open all types of opportunities. I'm going to think positive of what could happen.

A tv station location could offer more room and possibilities. With a second studio for guest audiences, sound stage recordings, being located in SRL close to the events center and close enough to Melaleuca and other key businesses could open up many opportunities many have never thought of or not talked about openly.

A station could broadcast home hockey games from the event center, tape shows with live audiences for targeted audiences, have live discussions or broadcast I. F. City Council meetings. Additionally, creating state of the art commercials and videos for businesses wishing to instruct globally ( in many different languages) let alone be part of a closed circut television for higher education, telemedicine etc. could yield more clients from hundreds of miles to expand business education in 8B.

I can see lots of opportunities a second location and a second studio could meet needs and even generate more educational (internships) and jobs. I also think meeting certain over-the- air requests would be smart business. A second Spanish-speaking channel would draw more sales revenue. Broadcasting BYU-IDAHO devotionals etc. Would yield more revenue.

And while I wouldn't try to staff every newscast, having a different option at noon and a bit different weekend schedule, featuring a local discussion about various topics separate from the news may be very popular.

Then this new owner could remain a part of a local group ownership or sell. Either way, mission accomplished, from my perspective

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-30-2013 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 02:04 AM

Default Wow! About 20K in public schools in D 91 and D93

Dist. #93 close to 11K students! . About 250 more new this year. D # 93 was something like 10920 or more. A miscount, or absent students, could put that number over 11K easily. I think the discussions and voting for the new high school should happen sooner rather than later. Otherwise it will be 2 new elementary schools and 2 Jr. Highs and 2 Sr. High schools.

I guess that Census of 14K in Ammon is somewhat confirmed by that enrollment. D 93 has a new website too. http://www.d93schools.org/

Idaho Falls D 91 isn't far behind at 10,500 students.

MSR

Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Default Rusios

It sounds like Rusios has had a soft opening. I'm still not clear if this a new "Mom and Pop," regional or national. It sounds like a local venture given the two restaurants cited as inspiration. Since one influence cited was the Paradise Cafe, I plan to stop in when I can.

Please post if you know more or have eaten there.

Thanks

MSR

Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
It sounds like Rusios has had a soft opening. I'm still not clear if this a new "Mom and Pop," regional or national. It sounds like a local venture given the two restaurants cited as inspiration. Since one influence cited was the Paradise Cafe, I plan to stop in when I can.

Please post if you know more or have eaten there.

Thanks

MSR
i know nothing about Rusio's, MSR. Where is it? What kind of food to they offer?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 PM

Russios has taken over the old Mongolian space near 17th and Woodruff. They did a nice remodel, but I don't know much more. A Sandwich shop near Gandolfo's and not far from Arby's, and DQ is curious. Perhaps they have a unique concept, don't know much at this point. I guess I will need to stop in for lunch one of these days.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Russios has taken over the old Mongolian space near 17th and Woodruff. They did a nice remodel, but I don't know much more. A Sandwich shop near Gandolfo's and not far from Arby's, and DQ is curious. Perhaps they have a unique concept, don't know much at this point. I guess I will need to stop in for lunch one of these days.
Upon further research, this is not a national chain. It is a local start-up, with the owner/operator a former Texas Roadhouse employee. Local startups are hard, but I wish them nothing but the best. Hate the location, though, to be honest.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Upon further research, this is not a national chain. It is a local start-up, with the owner/operator a former Texas Roadhouse employee. Local startups are hard, but I wish them nothing but the best. Hate the location, though, to be honest.
Thanks pw72. I read the part about the Texas Roadhouse and somehow was confused about franchise vs. start up.

You raise a great point about drive thrus. I think this restaurant can seat up to 50. Maybe business sit down lunches or catering small parties?

Babes is always full. Maybe their plan is similar to Babes but with a slightly bigger (variety)?

I like the Paradise Bakery and thought I. F. was on their radar. When I can I want to see what's the same or different.

Let us know pw after you've been in. We could have our own Cusine Corner with thoughts about eateries.

Thanks,

MSR

Old 09-26-2013, 05:21 AM

Default Know their Views

This is for I. F. residents. If you haven't read about the 4 Mayoral Candidates, I'd encourage you to do so.

This post is NOT to debate, as I don't want Sage to move it; however, a lot who post in this thread are interested in development. Two candidates in particular address development and growth. I believe there are some different views about these issues. I think each candidate has a website.

Just so I'm transparent, I don't live in the city boundaries currently so I won't be voting in this election nor have I donated time or $ to any of the candidates. But I care as the Mayor negotiates many things and I believe sets the tone for working with Ammon's mayor, casting tie breaker votes and setting the agendas for eastern ID's regional hub.

I believe the candidates are Councilwoman Sharon Parry. Rebecca Casper, Tim Downz and Brian LePray. Apparently, they answered questions last night so check out the PR or news to see what was asked.

I don't think it would be inappropriate to post here how the various candidates propose to develop more and attract new businesses, if that is even a major issue for that candidate.

I'm endorsing no one just opening up a discussion.

The other thing that kind of dawned on me from various threads in ID, is many who live here now probably don't know that Idaho Falls residents elected former Mayor Linda Milam- D, divorced mother, who is NOT LDS, to three terms. In my mind that's when there was proof of Idaho Falls being much more accepting of good people trying to make the city better compared to outdated posts and some views on CDF. Former Mayor Milam moved to I.F. she was not an Idahoan by birth, rather choice.

Post any thoughts you have about candidates' business and growth thoughts ( or other).

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 09-26-2013 at 05:37 AM..

Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM

Default Tacoma Screw Products

Tacoma Screw Products is building a 10,000 sq. ft. $850,000 building in the 1800 N. Yellowstone block. I'm trying to think of where that would be.

Apparently, there is one in Twin Falls and Boise. New to me.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls