Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:39 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times

Advertisements

Often those thinking about moving or are moving post a lot for a while. A few have posted after their moves.

I've visited the NID Front Porch many times. Let's see if we can establish something similar in eastern ID. Often I wonder about various posters and there is never a place to post for them or just chat among ourselves.

How are you doing Banjo Mike? Hope your puppy is cuddled in with you.

I'm thrilled pw72 has opted to stay in Idaho Falls presently. I'd like to hear more about your decision, as I personally think you made a wise move. I'll let you explain what you've done.

Cleosmom, where do I start? Dare I write " Steelers" here? Is work steady or very busy?

tmp4, did you get involved with a local sport s team? Keep us updated about your house sesrch.

A TV MOM, I hope things as re settling down enough you've had some time for yourself.

Warden, if you're planning to move here please post here so we all know how you are. I'd love for you to start a thread about most usrful roads etc.

Michelle, Teton and others, update us what's going on.

Everyone is welcome to post. Let's get talking with our new and more established friends here. People pay thousands of $ to see what we have in our back yard. There are some great things about our part of Idaho

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM

265 posts, read 686,487 times
Nothing positive on my front here. Swindled out of 80k from the now ex-wife after helping her to get legal status,much less taking out more money from a bank account without my knowledge. Helped friends and family with money to get them out of jams. Now I need the help(friends and family ignore what they owe me) to get out of this wicked State to get away from these people to start over. There are jobs for me(in my career of choice)in other States(which includes the fine State of Idaho) but cannot get there so having a real tough time staying positive. In the end I am sure it's all my fault,but I must continue on and I will for the present. I cannot let them keep me down. Good luck to all I have not spoken with and the others that I have.Peace.Jim

Old 10-04-2013, 11:44 AM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
Congratulations on your new hang-out! Nice initiative--it's good to have a place to chat that's not topic-specific. Best wishes!

I just want to add that I hope everybody knows that our North Idaho Front Porch is open for anyone to come and hang out, lurk, post, etc.--you don't have to have a NID connection. I called it the NID Front Porch back in the day when I started the thread because NID was the only part of Idaho I was familiar with ; had I started it at a later date, I'd just have called it The Idaho Front Porch. So please consider yourselves welcome on the Porch, just like MSR.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:30 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Settling into Atomic City. Been in Idaho for just over two months now and so far so good.

Good and quiet people in town, wide open spaces around us, and snow covered mountains 30 miles away. Yesterday it snowed here but it has all melted away already. I might post a picture later on after I download them.

Deer bedded down in our backyard all morning and all afternoon yesterday. About 8 of them. Very cool. Had a chance to see Lava Hot Springs, Soda Springs, all the way up through Big Lost River Valley to Salmon since we got here 2 months ago. This is a beautiful state. We're glad to be here.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Hi, MSR...
Thank you kindly for the thoughts!
I'm doing well now; the broken toe is still giving me twinges, but that's to be expected. It's going to take some more time to heal.

The puppy's name is Lefty, and he's doing most excellently for one so young. He is just 8 weeks today.
I began taking him outside to do his biz as soon as I got him. We have to walk across a deck first that has 2 steps down to the back yard, and the steps are still to scary for him. But on his second visit out, he discovered a pile of lava roks stacked up next to the steps, and uses them instead to go down. He's almost completely housebroken now, as long as I go out with him.
He's also coming when i call him very well, but curiously, he's only coming to his new name. He won't come if I call him 'puppy' or anything else. He's also a somber little fellow; he barked last night for the first time, only once. He'll whine a bit if he can't find me, but is very silent most of the time.
He isn't very lovey-dovey, either, but really likes to lay his head on one shoe and just hang out closely with me. When I praise him, all he needs is a brief pat or belly rub to be completely happy. We spend a lot of brief play times in and out of the house and he loves to fetch. More than anything, he just likes to watch and observe things. He's not a bit shy, and isn't afraid of other dogs and noises, but passing cars spook him a little.

I think he's a fine dog, and I'm very happy to have another at last. I re-discovered I'm best with a dog around. For sure, he's unlike all my other dogs while keeping their basic traits. All I've ever owned are Aussies, so I expected to see some familiar behavior.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Congratulations on your new hang-out! Nice initiative--it's good to have a place to chat that's not topic-specific. Best wishes!

I just want to add that I hope everybody knows that our North Idaho Front Porch is open for anyone to come and hang out, lurk, post, etc.--you don't have to have a NID connection. I called it the NID Front Porch back in the day when I started the thread because NID was the only part of Idaho I was familiar with ; had I started it at a later date, I'd just have called it The Idaho Front Porch. So please consider yourselves welcome on the Porch, just like MSR.
Thanks CFF! Yes this thread is an attempt to get some ongoing discussions in a location anyone can post. We have many new to newer residents in eastern ID. It would be nice to create a similar feeling I've had when posting and visiting the NID Porch.

We do need a place to chat so where everyone has equal amounts to contribute, ask or reconnect with someone. We don't have to stay on topic as topics change as friends get caught up.

It looks like more folks are posting pics. in the NID Porch. It would be great to have pics here too.

One of my favorite links: TetonCam

MSR

Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Settling into Atomic City. Been in Idaho for just over two months now and so far so good.

Good and quiet people in town, wide open spaces around us, and snow covered mountains 30 miles away. Yesterday it snowed here but it has all melted away already. I might post a picture later on after I download them.

Deer bedded down in our backyard all morning and all afternoon yesterday. About 8 of them. Very cool. Had a chance to see Lava Hot Springs, Soda Springs, all the way up through Big Lost River Valley to Salmon since we got here 2 months ago. This is a beautiful state. We're glad to be here.
JuneauBound,

I'm glad you posted here. Happy you like your new home. Did you just post pics somewhere? If so, could some go in this thread?

What is your approximate drive time to Blackfoot and Arco?

Oh, how was the Salmon V. A. clinic? I don't think I've asked about your trip, or already forgotten your answer- LOL.

MSR

Old 10-05-2013, 09:26 AM

836 posts, read 1,661,309 times
Love that huge Army Surplus store outside the Falls and stop every time thru; got a few cartons of dried hash browns to try then wished I had more. I can't tell the difference between those and fresh.

I've got the neighbors-from-hell here in Montana so I've been researching spots around Idaho Falls, CDA & elsewhere.
My lease goes thru May but I may have to bail on it before I go to jail

I noticed many homes looked good til the 1st then only dogs left after- a couple looked good still but wonder if there's some hidden poison pill since the others all rented.

So- I may end up in Idaho Falls area in a house with neighbors not too close

Old 10-05-2013, 02:35 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
JuneauBound,

I'm glad you posted here. Happy you like your new home. Did you just post pics somewhere? If so, could some go in this thread?

What is your approximate drive time to Blackfoot and Arco?

Oh, how was the Salmon V. A. clinic? I don't think I've asked about your trip, or already forgotten your answer- LOL.

MSR
MSR, to answer your questions:
25-30 minutes to both Blackfoot or Arco. Quiet and fast drive, good flat highway, lots of mountain views in either direction. I posted a few pictures of Atomic City that I took last week, up in the picture thread.

Drive up to and back from Salmon Va was great. Beautiful, scenic, quiet, beautiful day. It was a great trip. Took a ton of pictures. Husband is pleased enough with the clinic - had a remote physical (ie. tech at the clinic did the exam and doc in Boise ID was able to see everything on camera that the tech was seeing in person). Interesting, and never heard of a clinic doing that before. Meds received at the house two days later.

The only thing we don't like: In Wyoming the VA clinic in Powell (20 miles from Cody) was attached to a civilian hospital. If a VA patient needed tests such as X-rays, they were sent across the parking lot to the hospital to get them done. My husband broke his little finger last week working on the house. Turns out that if he wanted to get x-rays through the VA he would have to drive to Boise. Doesn't matter whether he was signed up for IF, BF or Salmon VA - he would have to drive to either Boise or Salt Lake to get an x-ray through the VA. To get that information we ended up being shuffled from one phone number to the next until we found that out and then made one more call to yet one more place to confirm that. He ended up going to a walk-in clinic in Blackfoot to get the x-rays to confirm what we already knew was a break. They're sending us the bill. We were told a number of times when we were making calls, that these VA clinics are not capable of doing anything aside from blood tests and physicals. Which seems to be to be a real burden for really older or sicker veterans, or in the winter. Who's gonna drive hundreds of miles one way to get an x-ray for a broken finger?

I take a lot of pictures everywhere I go. Which has been a lot of places the past few years. We had a great trip, good techs, good initial meeting (albeit remotely) with the doc in Boise, sunshine, warm weather, beautiful scenery. Long day but great day.

The Salmon VA clinic:

Taken on the outskirts of Salmon:

Had planned on driving out of town a little ways, and then turning back to explore the town for a while between morning and early afternoon appointments. Accidentally found this place: Sacajawea Center Salmon Idaho . We ended up spending a couple of hours there. I took hundreds of pictures and we made it back to the VA for his second appointment with minutes to spare.

A few pictures taken on the drive home:

Last edited by juneaubound; 10-05-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,077 times
We can't let folks who live outside of Idaho see these pictures. Next thing you know, the moving vans will be pulling in left and right....

Thanks for sharing those beautiful images, juneaubound. What an awesome sight!

pimit2 (Bob)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls