U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,119,547 times

Advertisements

Mike, do you remember KTEE-AM on First Street? If so, will you please read back in the thread to my questions about KTEE-AM please?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,795,807 times
American Top40-The 70's with Casey Kasem, feeds different years from week to week. They try to stay within the season, so the countdowns this month are from July. This weekend is 1977. I'm looking forward to that important year. AT40-The 70's, 3-6pm Sundays on Arrow 107.1

Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
American Top40-The 70's with Casey Kasem, feeds different years from week to week. They try to stay within the season, so the countdowns this month are from July. This weekend is 1977. I'm looking forward to that important year. AT40-The 70's, 3-6pm Sundays on Arrow 107.1
Ha, Ha, PW. It was an important year!

Let's have some fun with this. Name 5-10 songs you think will be in the Countdown, without listening I'll match as many as you list as possibilities. One might surprise you, but it may roll into Aug. Nonetheless, amazing all things considered.

We can see which of us knows this history the best. - - LOL - we may have different perspectives and call it a tie. This will be F.U.N., if you do it.

Thx for the reminder.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Ha, Ha, PW. It was an important year!

Let's have some fun with this. Name 5-10 songs you think will be in the Countdown, without listening I'll match as many as you list as possibilities. One might surprise you, but it may roll into Aug. Nonetheless, amazing all things considered.

We can see which of us knows this history the best. - - LOL - we may have different perspectives and call it a tie. This will be F.U.N., if you do it.

Thx for the reminder.
OK, without cheating...

Undercover Angel
Heaven on the 7th floor
Lido Shuffle
How Deep Is Your Love
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)

Honestly, going totally on memory here...could be off.

AT-40 The 70's, Sundays 3-6pm on Arrow 107.1

Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
OK, without cheating...

Undercover Angel
Heaven on the 7th floor.
Lido Shuffle
How Deep Is Your Love
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)

Honestly, going totally on memory here...could be off.

AT-40 The 70's, Sundays 3-6pm on Arrow 107.1
Thanks for not cheating. Top of my head, nothing else.

1. Dreams - F. Mac I know you listed that but talk about a chess match and you getting one of my strongest first. Now to repay the favor.
2. Looks like we made it- Barry Manilow
3. Running on Empty - Jackson Browne
4. Don't Stop - Fleetwood Mac
5. I Just Want to be Your Everything - Andy Gibb

Because I used F. M. twice, I'll raise you one. Let me know if I'm wrong on what I listed.

6. The Things We Do for Love - - 10 CC
7. Night Moves - - Bob Seger
FYI- I removed Carry on. Wayward Son as I think it was released in 76, but didn't chart high until 77. I also realize I'm not getting all July.
8. COLD AS ICE - - Foreigner.
9. Maureen McGovern - - Morning After. Was on last week's countdown. Something else I didn't count on.
10.. Barracuda by Heart was probably months earlier. I couldn't resist given what was shared today.

Okay, the funny one 2 me I think was Aug. 1977, but not positive of release vs. highest chart position. I like the double 12 string version - The Accoustic Version on Jeremy Spencer. I also have and like the regular,. We Just Disagree - Dave Mason, in my CD. Wow - that is a shocker in a way only you will understand........ Take a breath and laugh. It's Good! T+

Tell me what I missed and what is a better way to phrase the question, please.

Your turn and ty for playing test UR knowledge of music from an important year. There are some huge hits we haven't skimmed. It's hard for me to know release vs. Chart Date. They could be anywhere in the 40.

But we have proven to all we do get along

Your move for more..

And because the Mods want local worked in posts, did you ask anyone about KTEE-AM?

A.T. 40 Sundays - The Arrow 107.1. Idaho Falls, Pocatello and Rexburg.

P.S. Did you get some new jingles as it sounds like it to me.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-18-2014 at 11:10 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 PM

Default I'm Wrong

Running on Empty was later in 1977.

Thelma Houston had something and Frampton may have had something in the charts in July,1977.

100%, I tend to remember music from that era around the school year, not calendar year. And how songs would go on and off the charts is a factor too.

Makes me appreciate you as a very worthy opponent more.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:32 AM

21,237 posts, read 14,265,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Mike, do you remember KTEE-AM on First Street? If so, will you please read back in the thread to my questions about KTEE-AM please?

Thanks
I vaguely remember the station, but it's been a very long time. As I recall, and I may be wrong, KTEE didn't last very long. It was broadcast in the 80s, I think. Mike Adams had a political talk show on it in the morning, and a lot of programming was oldies.

The only stations I have clear memories of are KUPI, KID AM, and KIFI AM.

KUPI was originally a daylight only AM station that broadcast from the building Mike's Music now occupies, on the intersection of Woodruff and HWY 20. KUPI's early years brought a new Top 40 to Idaho Falls during a time when radio here was still quite stodgy and was full of white cover artists like Pat Boone, who used to sing covers of black artists like Little Richard.
KUPI didn't mess with that- it went straight to the national Top 40, and whoever was on it got air time. KUPI ruled during the daytime in the summers. Every kid in town listened to it.

It didn't go Country until it obtained it's FM license and became a 24 hr. station. For a very long time, KUPI stuck with live DJs and had an enormous record stack. Some of the DJs were my friends, and I hung out in the studio a little bit from time to time. The DJs were a colorful lot, for sure… I almost bought a really good guitar once from one of them.

KIFI dropped its radio broadcast as soon as it got a license to broadcast TV. I believe the owners bought out the first TV station in Pocatello, KTLE. (Kettle's Cookin' was a regular interstitial card that showed up in between shows.) KTLE was the first local NBC affiliate, and KIFI became the NBC station when KTLE went off the air. I think KPVI outbid KIFI for the NBC contract when it first went on air, and KIFI became an ABC affiliate. Until then, ABC shows were seen on both KIFI and KID in addition to their affiliated programming.

KID continued it's AM broadcast for almost 30 years before selling it's radio station. During the 70's, KID AM featured a lot of radio drama shows; back then, CBS radio was trying to revive radio drama. Mystery Theater was on nightly, and had a lot of well-known actors on it. KID radio in the early 50s dominated the valley. It had a lot of national daily variety shows in the morning, soaps in the afternoon, and dramas and music variety in the evenings. These shows continued long after KID TV went on the air.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:37 AM

I double checked my chart data, and I was close, but slightly off on a few. But I did OK. As did you. Running on Empty is considered a '78 record, considering its peak. But I think you are correct on Thelma and Frampton. Listen Sunday.

Jingles have not changed since we added them late last year. You may be hearing different "uses" of them, with voiceover on some. a relatively new concept for us.

Listen to AT-40, The 70's with Casey Kasem on Arrow 107.1 3-6 pm Sunday afternoons, and the best of the 60's/70's and 80's 24/7 on Arrow 107.1, Arrow107.com, and our mobile app downloaded from Arrow 107.1

Old 07-19-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I vaguely remember the station, but it's been a very long time. As I recall, and I may be wrong, KTEE didn't last very long. It was broadcast in the 80s, I think. Mike Adams had a political talk show on it in the morning, and a lot of programming was oldies.

The only stations I have clear memories of are KUPI, KID AM, and KIFI AM.

KUPI was originally a daylight only AM station that broadcast from the building Mike's Music now occupies, on the intersection of Woodruff and HWY 20. KUPI's early years brought a new Top 40 to Idaho Falls during a time when radio here was still quite stodgy and was full of white cover artists like Pat Boone, who used to sing covers of black artists like Little Richard.
KUPI didn't mess with that- it went straight to the national Top 40, and whoever was on it got air time. KUPI ruled during the daytime in the summers. Every kid in town listened to it.

It didn't go Country until it obtained it's FM license and became a 24 hr. station. For a very long time, KUPI stuck with live DJs and had an enormous record stack. Some of the DJs were my friends, and I hung out in the studio a little bit from time to time. The DJs were a colorful lot, for sure… I almost bought a really good guitar once from one of them.

KIFI dropped its radio broadcast as soon as it got a license to broadcast TV. I believe the owners bought out the first TV station in Pocatello, KTLE. (Kettle's Cookin' was a regular interstitial card that showed up in between shows.) KTLE was the first local NBC affiliate, and KIFI became the NBC station when KTLE went off the air. I think KPVI outbid KIFI for the NBC contract when it first went on air, and KIFI became an ABC affiliate. Until then, ABC shows were seen on both KIFI and KID in addition to their affiliated programming.

KID continued it's AM broadcast for almost 30 years before selling it's radio station. During the 70's, KID AM featured a lot of radio drama shows; back then, CBS radio was trying to revive radio drama. Mystery Theater was on nightly, and had a lot of well-known actors on it. KID radio in the early 50s dominated the valley. It had a lot of national daily variety shows in the morning, soaps in the afternoon, and dramas and music variety in the evenings. These shows continued long after KID TV went on the air.
Thanks Mike. I didn't know KIFI had radio. Hmmm. A lot of your post would be a great addition to the media (TV) section here.

I didn't realize KUPI was EVER a non- Country format.

KTEE-AM as I wrote earlier was owned and run by a visionary ahead of his yime. Bi found some info about who owned it and many of the DJs remained in the Region.

I believe KTEE's tower license, or whatever the term is, is still licensed. Then again, reading FCC licenses is not my strength.

I disagree with you slightly about KTEE-AM's place and influence in the stations at that time. But agree with you it had many limitations when broadcasting Day light hours only. I think it was turned down for a 24 hr. License. They were ahead of the curve enough to have American Top 40 and play it Sat. afternoons when the enlisted Navy personnel heard the program.

I don't claim to understand how the FCC granted daylight only vs. 24 hr. licenses. If anyone would like to explain, please do.

Thanks for adding more to the info about Idaho Falls Radio.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:40 PM

21,237 posts, read 14,265,296 times
I dug around the net looking for KTEE. Apparently, the tower is now being used as an FCC weather relay station for aircraft. It's probably a locating signal and beacon for navigation as well.

I don't know much about the FCC's workings, but I think there are a limited number of broadcasting licenses per community. Logically, it seems the population would determine the number. The daylight only licenses may have been cheaper to license, or may have been granted in an expanding market. I have a couple of friends who were granted a license in the 80's, and broadcast on FM for a few months before shutting down and selling the license. They both lost their shirts getting into the biz.

It was a lot different when everyone listened to the radio. These days, all radio stations are fighting for survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or