Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,317 times

Advertisements

HI all!! So my husband and I are thinking of relocating to IF. We have not visited but plan to in a few weeks. With that being said.. how is the emloyment rate? We both will be coming from decent jobs. But want to raise our 2 girls in a better community that we are surronded by in CA. Selling a home here to buy one there, just worried about the jobs. I myself have 10yrs exp in medical field with being a clerk. My husband kind of a do it everything if you will. He is a Trailer Mechanic for a large trucking company and also has a second job repairing RV's. thank you all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 01:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I think you should plan to spend some serious time when visiting here checking out your job possibilities.
Both of you are in pretty employable occupations for Idaho Falls, but getting some up to the minute info is always better than any advice you are going to get here, I'm sure.

In general, Idaho Falls has been one of the brighter spots in the state for job opportunities for a while now. Selling a home in California, especially if you will get a lot out of the sale, will be good for a move here. Our real estate prices are rising lately, but are still a lot lower than anywhere in California, or in other parts of Idaho. And I have no reservations in saying Idaho Falls is an excellent community in which to raise your kids. This is a very family-oriented town and always has been.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Thank you banjomike! i have been reading some of your replies! Love them all! very helpful! my only downfall or holding me back is my family... which I am also trying to get them to come with. (No worries we are all good people) I know how it somtimes can feel to have all these random people coming into "your" town. haha! I have the feeling of it now and there are some "not" good people that are moving in... yes California is very expensive,thankful we bought when the market was low. We are ready for a simpler way of life for us and for our girls as well. thank you so much for your feed back!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbster209 View Post
Thank you banjomike! i have been reading some of your replies! Love them all! very helpful! my only downfall or holding me back is my family... which I am also trying to get them to come with. (No worries we are all good people) I know how it somtimes can feel to have all these random people coming into "your" town. haha! I have the feeling of it now and there are some "not" good people that are moving in... yes California is very expensive,thankful we bought when the market was low. We are ready for a simpler way of life for us and for our girls as well. thank you so much for your feed back!
I seriously doubt being from California is going to make anyone pre-judge or think anything less of you here.
heck, I married a gal from Pasadena, and she never had any problems at all fitting in here right off the bat.

Idaho Falls has had lots of folks moving here for a very long time. The INL site has always brought in folks from other states.

I can only speak for myself, but I never think of a stranger as being bad or good. Most of the time, I consider a stranger a friend I haven't met yet. But I'm pretty sure other folks feel the same way as I do about this.

But don't be surprised if it takes you some time before you have some really close friends. We are also reserved here, and independent and self-sufficient. It usually takes a while for people to get to know someone.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:04 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Hi gibbster209, guessing that you're moving away from the northern part of the Central Valley? I lived in 209, until it became 559

As far as your husband, feel free to send me a Direct Message, my husband drives truck cross country for a locally based company and I might be able to send you some valuable information Just bear in mind, pay rates here are not going to come close to CA, however neither is the cost of living. In fact a few perks; no need to have your car(s) smog inspected, vehicle registration is by far less expensive, like I said most everything is, with the exception of some of the fresh fruits, lets face it this is potato country

Follow this forum to find some good places to eat while you're here visiting

Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 PM

Thanks banjomike, maybe one day we will cross paths in idaho falls! Cleosmom, that would be great on some information!!! Yes, this I know that the pay is less but all of the other great things that this state and city seem to offer is definetly worth the move and the pay cut. I sent you a request to direct message you! We will actually be coming up there next Friday and taking a look around. Very excited and anxious!! thank you for your help!!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbster209 View Post
Thanks banjomike, maybe one day we will cross paths in idaho falls! Cleosmom, that would be great on some information!!! Yes, this I know that the pay is less but all of the other great things that this state and city seem to offer is definetly worth the move and the pay cut. I sent you a request to direct message you! We will actually be coming up there next Friday and taking a look around. Very excited and anxious!! thank you for your help!!
I sent you a Direct Message

Old 10-12-2014, 06:41 PM

Be sure to pack a warm sweater or coat. Vests are good this time of year.
While it has been quite mild and beautiful here lately, one never knows what tomorrow will be like at this time of year.
And be sure to bring some shoes and socks, too. Flip-flops will also be pretty cold footwear if that's all you have to wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls