U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:09 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,125,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidiH View Post
I just wanted to pop in and say it's funny KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck i spent 3 weeks in Boise and I was so, so happy to be back in Idaho Falls.

We've lived here 9 months now and I really love it here. I've lived in Sacramento and in the Bay Area in California, Helena, Great Falls and Shelby in Montana and of all the places I've lived in the US, Idaho Falls has the biggest chunk of my heart - to my surprise, but there you have it.

I'm originally from Malaysia and I've never been treated differently for being Asian (neither here nor in any of the other places I've lived) and my LDS neighbors have been nothing but nice.

I do think folks in Montana are more 'surface-friendly' than Idahoans in general but no one's ever not said hi back when i do, or when my very Montanan toddler pipes up.
I'm glad things have worked out for you, DidiH. Post again when you can. It's fun to have those who relocate, like you, ATVWife, UGACLEM to help those of us who post. Sometimes there are things we don't think of. it's valuable to all to read the posts of those who relocated in the past year or less know the best.

Enjoy summer and do go to Swan Valley for square ice cream on a day trip.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,236,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
I'm thinking about relocating my family to Idaho Falls.
I've been through there many times driving from Montana
to Cali, but never really stopped to have a look around.

Are there mountains within twenty minutes?
How are the public schools?
Are the people nice?
How's traffic?
Is the cost of living reasonable?
Is there much building construction going on?
Also, we're not LDS. Is the city in general friendly to non LDS families?

The reason I'm considering IF is its proximity to Yellowstone, Salmon, CotM,
Lost River Range, places like that. I want to be close to outdoor recreation.

Thanks in advance for responses.
Sounds great

Old 06-20-2014, 02:45 PM

276 posts, read 521,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DidiH View Post
I just wanted to pop in and say it's funny KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck i spent 3 weeks in Boise and I was so, so happy to be back in Idaho Falls.

We've lived here 9 months now and I really love it here. I've lived in Sacramento and in the Bay Area in California, Helena, Great Falls and Shelby in Montana and of all the places I've lived in the US, Idaho Falls has the biggest chunk of my heart - to my surprise, but there you have it.

I'm originally from Malaysia and I've never been treated differently for being Asian (neither here nor in any of the other places I've lived) and my LDS neighbors have been nothing but nice.

I do think folks in Montana are more 'surface-friendly' than Idahoans in general but no one's ever not said hi back when i do, or when my very Montanan toddler pipes up.
Speaking of G.F., that's where I.F. reminds me of. Flat and windy.
I've always lived in places where I could see mountains from my house.
The mountains here in Boise aren't spectacular, but they're mountains.
I.F. is just too out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere for me.
People were nice, I just don't care for the location.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,134,059 times
What about Pocatello, aren't there mountains around that town?

Old 06-20-2014, 05:17 PM

276 posts, read 521,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
What about Pocatello, aren't there mountains around that town?
Indeed there are, but I found that area unattractive also.
No offense to the people there who love it, it's just not for me.

As I said before, the only place in southern Idaho I found desirable is Burley.
They seem to have it going on. Pomerelle, City of Rocks, Lake Walcott, Craters.
However, I wasn't impressed enough by it to want to live there,
and I have a gut feeling that the Mormons have a lock on it.
Pass.

I've always loved NID, and am leaning toward a move there,
however, my wife likes the long hot growing season here in Boise.
Looks like I may be stuck here for a while.
There's a lot worse places I could be stuck.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:01 PM

100 posts, read 163,244 times
No. their are burned up desert foothills 20mins away. Real mountains with trees are a couple of hours away Swan Valley, Driggs, or a few hours to Sun Valley

Like repressive prisons, most have a Mormon church that holds daily school classes to them connected but they claim it is not part of the school if you kids are not LDS they will be outcasts.

Are the people nice?
No, poverty, anger, almost no culture. LDS or white trash meth heads make up the majority of people.

How's traffic?
Awesome. their is none, one day their was a "traffic jam" after a high school game and it made people happy because they had never experienced one. it also made the news.

Houses are cheap. rent is average lots of poverty you can buy many things for cheap if you look at the thrifty nickle or craiglist make sure it is not stolen.

No. The nuclear plant is laying off the only "good money" is going away.

In general No, but much better then surrounding areas. If you are not LDS you will not get many jobs or opportunities they will let you stave and say it is because you are a nonbeliever.

Many people will probably bash my post, most of them have probably never left their own ignorant town besides a LDS mission.I have lived in IF and know it well high desert wasteland polluted by nuclear waste.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:53 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,125,942 times
Question Key words "Have Lived"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendin View Post
No. their are burned up desert foothills 20mins away. Real mountains with trees are a couple of hours away Swan Valley, Driggs, or a few hours to Sun Valley

Like repressive prisons, most have a Mormon church that holds daily school classes to them connected but they claim it is not part of the school if you kids are not LDS they will be outcasts.

Are the people nice?
No, poverty, anger, almost no culture. LDS or white trash meth heads make up the majority of people.

How's traffic?
Awesome. their is none, one day their was a "traffic jam" after a high school game and it made people happy because they had never experienced one. it also made the news.

Houses are cheap. rent is average lots of poverty you can buy many things for cheap if you look at the thrifty nickle or craiglist make sure it is not stolen.

No. The nuclear plant is laying off the only "good money" is going away.

In general No, but much better then surrounding areas. If you are not LDS you will not get many jobs or opportunities they will let you stave and say it is because you are a nonbeliever.

Many people will probably bash my post, most of them have probably never left their own ignorant town besides a LDS mission.I have lived in IF and know it well high desert wasteland polluted by nuclear waste.
Blendin,

How long ago did you last live in Idaho Falls or Bonneville County? I don't know that all your statements are correct in 2014.

pw72 is great knowing geography and information about travel. PW72, how long is the drive to Swan Valley, Driggs and Jackson Hole from Idaho Falls? I know it doesn't take me the time Bleendin wrote. What do you think, pw72?

The traffic.jam joke was funny pw72 probably has some thoughts about that too...

2. Which segment of INL is laying off? Which of the contractors? There are a lot of media reports in 2014 about the hiring? Please post a link to support your statement about Nuclear, engineering, DHS jobs. I'll be interested to see what I missed.

3. Did you mean to say the LDS population will let you "starve" above? Or did you mean something else with your post? I don't want to write more until I know what you meant.

4. Craigslist is a risk anywhere.

You remind me a lot of someone who posted briefly around Feb. Looking forward to your answers and welcome to the Idaho Falls forum, Blendin. Hopefully, pw72, BanjoMike and others can help clarify the facts. There are some cool things in activities, Artitorium and more that are happening in Idaho Falls.
Oh, how old were your kids?

No one city works for everyone. I hope you are happier in your new location, since your inaccurate information suggests when you would have moved.

MSR

Old 07-04-2014, 09:43 AM

100 posts, read 163,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Blendin,
2. Which segment of INL is laying off? Which of the contractors? There are a lot of media reports in 2014 about the hiring? Please post a link to support your statement about Nuclear, engineering, DHS jobs. I'll be interested to see what I missed.
After more than a year’s worth of layoffs at the Idaho National Laboratory, people in this desert city worry things could get worse for the region’s largest employer — that it could lose its “national laboratory” designation or be closed altogether.
How Long Will Nuclear Research Power Idaho's Desert Economy? · EarthFix · Oregon Public Broadcasting

The federal government budget cuts that went into effect last Friday are expected to claim up to 84 security staff jobs at the Idaho National Laboratory.
Federal budget cuts lead to 84 layoffs at Idaho National Laboratory | Local & Regional | Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Idaho News, Weather, Sports and Breaking News - KBOI 2

The move comes amid calls for the elimination of 300 Battelle jobs, which began earlier this year. Thus far, more than 220 have already left
More Layoffs at INL | East Idaho News

The site is winding down, systmatic cuts are coming down the pipeline, hopes for future projects are just that. they are laying off hundreds and then hiring dozens at smaller wages. The cold war is over and only a nuclear waste mess will be left, I am sure a few IF residents will cheer for the clean up jobs that ay "good money". The sad thing is cleaning up nuclear waste is not something most people consider a "good job".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
3. Did you mean to say the LDS population will let you "starve" above? Or did you mean something else with your post? I don't want to write more until I know what you meant.
The LDS church takes care of their own. If you are not a member do not expect jobs or help from the LDS. Idaho Falls is not as Mormon as many of the surrounding communities but they still own much of the financial infrastructure of IF.
In a place as economically depressed as Idaho Falls you need all the help you can get if you plain on making a living from the local economy. If you have to depend on the percentage of people who are not LDS you are already starting at a disadvantage.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:14 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,606,248 times
Quote:

Are the people nice?

Sorry but these are not exactly true but seem like extreme biased bitter viewpoints. From Idaho Falls you can be in what you consider "real mountains with trees" in 30 minutes.

No culture? Believe it or not white people in small towns have culture. You don't need a black or middle east or asian community to have culture. Artistic/culturally speaking Idaho Falls is impressive for a city its size. I grew up in the Idaho Falls area and visit often and have never noticed "white trash meth heads". Maybe those exist wherever it is you now live? Do you live in Montana or Oregon?

You answer to the question quoted below is complete BS and it seems like you have an issue with the Mormon Church and should take that up between you and God.

Quote:

Quote:

I am trying to make sense of the sloppily typed out quote above but here is my attempt.
What is ignorance? I am reading a lot of it in your posts. You are trying to be funny with your comment about never leaving the town except for a mission, and that my friend is exposing a whole lot of ignorance on your part. Idaho Falls is situated in a very productive agricultural area, hardly a wasteland nor polluted by nuclear waste.

Oh, but I bet you are going to rebutt, but please just give it up.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 PM

13 posts, read 13,041 times
Question Do You READ Other Threads

Quote:
After more than a year’s worth of layoffs at the Idaho National Laboratory, people in this desert city worry things could get worse for the region’s largest employer — that it could lose its “national laboratory” designation or be closed altogether.
How Long Will Nuclear Research Power Idaho's Desert Economy? · EarthFix · Oregon Public Broadcasting

The federal government budget cuts that went into effect last Friday are expected to claim up to 84 security staff jobs at the Idaho National Laboratory.
Federal budget cuts lead to 84 layoffs at Idaho National Laboratory | Local & Regional | Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Idaho News, Weather, Sports and Breaking News - KBOI 2

The move comes amid calls for the elimination of 300 Battelle jobs, which began earlier this year. Thus far, more than 220 have already left
More Layoffs at INL | East Idaho News

The site is winding down, systmatic cuts are coming down the pipeline, hopes for future projects are just that. they are laying off hundreds and then hiring dozens at smaller wages. The cold war is over and only a nuclear waste mess will be left, I am sure a few IF residents will cheer for the clean up jobs that ay "good money". The sad thing is cleaning up nuclear waste is not something most people consider a "good job".

The LDS church takes care of their own. If you are not a member do not expect jobs or help from the LDS. Idaho Falls is not as Mormon as many of the surrounding communities but they still own much of the financial infrastructure of IF.
In a place as economically depressed as Idaho Falls you need all the help you can get if you plain on making a living from the local economy. If you have to depend on the percentage of people who are not LDS you are already starting at a disadvantage.

Some really good posts to you. All your articles/media is from 2014. Have you not read in the Idaho Falls threads about the hiring at INL, the completion of the labs and space in Idaho Falls and my personal favorite, NuScale?

Too interesting to me you use an OR news source from 2013, yet what did you add about OR based NuScale Power and the $2.2 Billion to build their product in Idaho. Is that some sour grapes from someone in OR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or