Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 24,397 times

Advertisements

I moved up to N. Idaho with my family from that place down south and between the insane commute to work and lack of like minded people I find myself wanting to leave N. Idaho. Yes its pretty up here but since I'm not into hunting, fishing nor am I a conservative Christian its just not the place for me. IF checks off the boxes for what were looking for but how are the people?

Are there active secular home-school groups?
How is the racial mix? Its downright odd to see all white faces every day.
How are openly gay people treated? (tells me a lot about the area)
Are there large active LLL groups?
How well are crunchy granola type people accepted? I don't own berks or wear long skirts but we are into organic gardening and healthy living. I'd like to think people are not going to raise their eye brows when they find a hydro/aquaponic garden in my house.
How hard are jobs to find? (white/blue collar type stuff)
What would you say the average rent is for a decent/safe 2 bedroom apt with a sunny yard?
How much is the going rate for a babysitter for an elementary age kid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 03:10 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
I don't mean to sound harsh...but did you actually do any research on Idaho before moving here?

Even one full evening browsing around CDF probably could have saved you a lot of aggravation IMO. And judging by your questions, you still haven't spent any time reading the forum to research. I think you're missing out on a valuable resource...the opinions of an awful lot of people who have posted over the years.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I don't mean to sound harsh...but did you actually do any research on Idaho before moving here?

Even one full evening browsing around CDF probably could have saved you a lot of aggravation IMO. And judging by your questions, you still haven't spent any time reading the forum to research. I think you're missing out on a valuable resource...the opinions of an awful lot of people who have posted over the years.
I have been reading and I haven't seen those things really addressed when it comes to IF, N. Idaho yes. I spent 3 months up here before moving, we didn't really have much choice in moving. I figured it was just the people I was exposed to since I was tagging along with my step dad and he fits right in and figured I would find the more liberal folks once we got here. It was unfathamable that most of the people up here were like that, I rarely encountered people like you find here where am from so it just didn't occur that the entire area was full of them. I spent my entire life in a very liberal area, I just didn't realize how liberal until I got here. Going back to CA is not an option IMO, just trying to find a place we would be content to live for a few years while I save up money to buy our own place.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:16 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetaelon View Post
. It was unfathamable that most of the people up here were like that, I rarely encountered people like you find here where am from so it just didn't occur that the entire area was full of them. .
You almost make it sound like the people you encountered in Northern Idaho are like the plague. I'm not going to get defensive because I don't live in NID (I live 50 miles from Idaho Falls), but after visiting there a few months ago I know that the people who live there don't see themselves the same way that you see them. Most (not all) are conservative, outdoorsy, self-sufficient, hard working, mind-your-business, Christian, hunting and fishing loving people.

Interestingly enough, most (not all) of the people in the south of Idaho are conservative, outdoorsy, self-sufficient, hard working, mind-your-business, Christian, hunting and fishing loving people. There are few African Americans. There are more latinos. But they all call Idaho home. And they choose to live here because of the qualities that exist here (listed above).

Most aren't judgemental. And that's a quality I like about those who call Idaho home.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
You almost make it sound like the people you encountered in Northern Idaho are like the plague. I'm not going to get defensive because I don't live in NID (I live 50 miles from Idaho Falls), but after visiting there a few months ago I know that the people who live there don't see themselves the same way that you see them. Most (not all) are conservative, outdoorsy, self-sufficient, hard working, mind-your-business, Christian, hunting and fishing loving people.

Interestingly enough, most (not all) of the people in the south of Idaho are conservative, outdoorsy, self-sufficient, hard working, mind-your-business, Christian, hunting and fishing loving people. There are few African Americans. There are more latinos. But they all call Idaho home. And they choose to live here because of the qualities that exist here (listed above).

Most aren't judgemental. And that's a quality I like about those who call Idaho home.

The ones I have met are very judgmental and I'm not really into any of that stuff, I'd rather live around more like minded folks and I know there are several more liberal areas in Idaho and I was hoping IF was one of them, they had a gay pride parade recently which tells me its a bit more liberal then your admitting.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 PM

385 posts, read 525,994 times
Let me preface by saying I haven't lived here too long, so my opinion may not paint the most accurate picture. Hate to say it, but if you live a "nontraditional lifestyle" and are any of the following: minority, liberal, crunchy, outspoken, odd looking, multiple bumper stickers, etc you may not be happy here.

I couldn't agree more with the list in the previous post.

Regarding race, in the previous census there were less than 8,000 blacks in the entire state and I'd be willing to bet less than 5% live in Idaho Falls.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
The ones I have met are very judgmental and I'm not really into any of that stuff, I'd rather live around more like minded folks and I know there are several more liberal areas in Idaho and I was hoping IF was one of them, they had a gay pride parade recently which tells me its a bit more liberal then your admitting.
1. From the posts I have read from you so far, I would disagree with your self-assessment that you are "not really into any of that stuff" ref: being judgmental

2. Yes there was a gay pride parade in IF recently. That is why I deliberately used the phrase (twice) "most (not all)"

3. You may find the answers to some (not all) of your questions here:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Idaho-Falls-Idaho.html

Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Quote:
Erm, it appears that your own judgmental tendencies were placed on full display when you made the shallow decision to express discontent with your community's ethnic make-up.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Erm, it appears that your own judgmental tendencies were placed on full display when you made the shallow decision to express discontent with your community's ethnic make-up.
I'm used to seeing a mix of skin colors, I don't see that here and its odd to me to see all white faces every where I look. Is it wrong to expect diversity where I live?

Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
1. From the posts I have read from you so far, I would disagree with your self-assessment that you are "not really into any of that stuff" ref: being judgmental

2. Yes there was a gay pride parade in IF recently. That is why I deliberately used the phrase (twice) "most (not all)"

3. You may find the answers to some (not all) of your questions here:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Idaho-Falls-Idaho.html
Its not judgemental, its true, I'm not into hunting and fishing and outdoorsy stuff. I have never lived in a place where "Its elk hunting season!" was a reason to blow off a job and I'm not cool with it (we ended up having to hire a guy from out of state for the job because all the locals were busy hunting). I don't have anything in common with the people here and I feel rather isolated, is it a bad thing to want to move where there are like minded others? I will check out the link, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls