U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 10:38 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,124,111 times

Advertisements

Two posts about KPVI, hmmm, that is probably a record for me.

KPVI has added a sub-channel. Decades TV is at 6.2. Let us know what you think of it, if you can get it.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:09 AM

382 posts, read 387,220 times
on a different, but related note. what does everyone think of the quality of our TV newscasts? 1) the quality and professionalism of the on-air personalities; 2) the quality of the video feed

thinking specifically about KPVI as that's the station I typically watch

Old 01-17-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
on a different, but related note. what does everyone think of the quality of our TV newscasts? 1) the quality and professionalism of the on-air personalities; 2) the quality of the video feed

thinking specifically about KPVI as that's the station I typically watch
With the exception of about 1/3 of a broadcast, I don't watch KPVI. I do wonder what is going on with them when I posted on the previous page the entire KPVI building on Lincoln Road in I.F. is for sale..

I guess I saw part of a morning broadcast and thought their weather people were "lacking" to say the least. One guy looked like he'd gotten out of the shower maybe 10 minutes before. His hair was not what I would show on the air. Is it really that hard to comb one's hair

Old 01-17-2016, 06:57 PM

382 posts, read 387,220 times
...and he didn't take the time to button his top button or cinch up his necktie

and the older gal in the evenings has trouble reading off a prompter and really struggles with nuclear vs nuucuulerrr

(ok thanks for letting me vent for a second)

Old 01-19-2016, 10:08 AM

136 posts, read 89,324 times
Given that our media market is small (relative to major metro areas), it isn't surprising to see mostly newly minted TV journalists and weather casters, or older folks winding down their careers on our local stations. It would appear that they do a lot of "basic training" here in our market, and the young ones that fare well then move on to larger stations in bigger cities.

We generally watch the Channel 8 (KIDK - "K-I Don't Know") news at dinner time, and also in the morning if we get up early enough to catch it. The news they report (other than very local stuff) is generally a day or two behind when I first read it online, but that is what happens when we can get our news and information 24/7/365 from internet sources. At least the local TV news generally scoops the local paper . . . .

The KIDK anchors are fairly decent and tolerable, although Carol Honas can't seem to report news in an unbiased manner, without inflecting it with her personal/political/theological flavor, whether through words or expressions. Michael Coates is a decent weather man (meteorologist?), and is about as accurate as any are. Carol is one of those "lifers" who seems to have been there since dirt, and will leave the news desk when she keels over.

It has been interesting watching the younger weather guy (possibly also a meteorologist?), Chris what's-his-name, as he has developed from a brand new, fresh from training, new on TV personality. He has gone from being unable to string together a sentence to looking, acting and speaking much more comfortably and becoming much more competent over the course of the last 1 or 2 years. I guess that means he'll soon move out to greener pastures like the trainees generally do.

As for the quality of the video feed, I have Cable One, and the KIDK feed is usually very good.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
...and he didn't take the time to button his top button or cinch up his necktie

and the older gal in the evenings has trouble reading off a prompter and really struggles with nuclear vs nuucuulerrr

(ok thanks for letting me vent for a second)
Anytime tmp4. We have the right to voice our opinions about local media.

Now that you mention it I don't believe that guy's shirt was buttoned correctly. I couldn't figure it out what was wrong with his shirt only that it was wrinkled and competed with his uncombed hair. I changed channels at that point.

If you have other observations, please share them

Old 01-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.InAmmon View Post
Given that our media market is small (relative to major metro areas), it isn't surprising to see mostly newly minted TV journalists and weather casters, or older folks winding down their careers on our local stations. It would appear that they do a lot of "basic training" here in our market, and the young ones that fare well then move on to larger stations in bigger cities.

We generally watch the Channel 8 (KIDK - "K-I Don't Know") news at dinner time, and also in the morning if we get up early enough to catch it. The news they report (other than very local stuff) is generally a day or two behind when I first read it online, but that is what happens when we can get our news and information 24/7/365 from internet sources. At least the local TV news generally scoops the local paper . . . .

The KIDK anchors are fairly decent and tolerable, although Carol Honas can't seem to report news in an unbiased manner, without inflecting it with her personal/political/theological flavor, whether through words or expressions. Michael Coates is a decent weather man (meteorologist?), and is about as accurate as any are. Carol is one of those "lifers" who seems to have been there since dirt, and will leave the news desk when she keels over.

It has been interesting watching the younger weather guy (possibly also a meteorologist?), Chris what's-his-name, as he has developed from a brand new, fresh from training, new on TV personality. He has gone from being unable to string together a sentence to looking, acting and speaking much more comfortably and becoming much more competent over the course of the last 1 or 2 years. I guess that means he'll soon move out to greener pastures like the trainees generally do.

As for the quality of the video feed, I have Cable One, and the KIDK feed is usually very good.
Ret. InAmmon,

I lost my original post. I enjoyed reading yours. I, too, like Meterologist, Michael Coats. Chris Bruin is also a certified Meterologist. Yes, he has grown a lot in his 18+ months here. He truly loves the scenery, changes in weather and recreational opportunities. Quite different than his native FL..

Did you know KIFI has a noon hour as well? Like mornings it's heavy on weather, but many in the area support themselves and families who need that weather info.

I agree with your assessment of Karol Honas. She seemed more objective years ago. But I saw her on a very limited basis. Somehow, she must train/mentor well. She has several former reporters who are anchors at top 30 markets.

This is a training market at ~ #165 of ~ 230 markets. It's actually fairly impressive how many go directly to top 50 markets. Take some time when you have a chance and read their bios. Some have had some impressive training.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:14 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,237,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Ret. InAmmon,

I lost my original post. I enjoyed reading yours. I, too, like Meterologist, Michael Coats. Chris Bruin is also a certified Meterologist. Yes, he has grown a lot in his 18+ months here. He truly loves the scenery, changes in weather and recreational opportunities. Quite different than his native FL..

Did you know KIFI has a noon hour as well? Like mornings it's heavy on weather, but many in the area support themselves and families who need that weather info.

I agree with your assessment of Karol Honas. She seemed more objective years ago. But I saw her on a very limited basis. Somehow, she must train/mentor well. She has several former reporters who are anchors at top 30 markets.

This is a training market at ~ #165 of ~ 230 markets. It's actually fairly impressive how many go directly to top 50 markets. Take some time when you have a chance and read their bios. Some have had some impressive training.
Seems Journalism, either newspaper or news companies. Has been declining for a few years now.
Everyone is blaming the internet, because people on the interent, are not Journaliest by trade generally, does not have to prove a story is true, no consequiences. Compaired to a print Journalist who has to prove the story and sometime they do not and get in to trouble for it. It's unfair, but what can you do to people on the internet breaking a story, that may or not be true? Just my small take, on Journalism in general.
I do see a lot of news cast's. A majority do a good job in the small markets out here in the Islands. I guess i
will have to see how the news casts are presented in Idaho next before i comment any about Idaho TV News casts.
And a happy New Years MSR. I have not seen you on the forum for a few days? Hope everthing is going well for you?
Scott

Old 01-20-2016, 11:48 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,746,009 times
Here in the past few weeks, Localnews8 has begun doing live broadcasts (video feeds) via their Facebook wall. Personally I like that as if there is something of urgent nature one can see it straight away. This is not to be confused with the streaming of their newscasts available on their website

Old 01-20-2016, 09:20 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,237,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Here in the past few weeks, Localnews8 has begun doing live broadcasts (video feeds) via their Facebook wall. Personally I like that as if there is something of urgent nature one can see it straight away. This is not to be confused with the streaming of their newscasts available on their website
We have a similar program here also on: Home - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
I wonder if they have same parent company? They only do their Friday morning broadcast on location, in the islands.
They feed Facebook and twitter in all of there morning broadcasts Monday through Friday.
My co-workers at work, in our office watch the morning news broadcast on their computers before work starts in the morning at 6:30am.
Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or