Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,207 times

Advertisements

Our little family of 4, wants to move to Idaho from California (can't stand it). We were looking at Twin Falls as an option, but aren't ruling out other areas. My husband has been a Head Custodian for an Elementary school for the last 10 years, and my 2 kids have special needs (High Functioning Autism). Where would y'all recommend for our family? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Education here has taken a lot of cuts over the past decade, but a head custodian, it seems to me, could find work at hospitals or business complexes.
I don't know much about autism support other than the Idaho Falls schools have programs for autistic kids. A former neighbor of mine had an autistic son who went to school with our kids, and he went as far as he could go in the system.

I think the best places to ask would be a city's school district office, a local better business bureau, or any city info website. Twin Falls is certainly large enough to have something going, as are Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Boise, Caldwell, Nampa, and most of the other cities in the Treasure Valley, and Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint in northern Idaho.

It's unlikely, I'm guessing, that most of the small towns have very much accommodation. Some schools districts are so small here that they only take care of 100 kids or less, so your best bet is probably one of our larger towns of 20,000 or more people. (that's a mid-sized Idaho town.)

Take all this with a grain of salt, because I truly don't know much. If you are connected to a national autism association, it may be a better place to start than this forum is. Good luck on your search! I hope you find a place here that will make you very happy!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,403,755 times
Smile Where is IDAHO JOB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac_E View Post
Our little family of 4, wants to move to Idaho from California (can't stand it). We were looking at Twin Falls as an option, but aren't ruling out other areas. My husband has been a Head Custodian for an Elementary school for the last 10 years, and my 2 kids have special needs (High Functioning Autism). Where would y'all recommend for our family? Thanks in advance
Jac_E,

The #1 important thing you can do for your family is let us know where your husband will be working. You'll want to visit different areas of the state. But no area can meet your familiy's needs without a job. Services are changing and it depends which of the 10-11 disorders that are the definition of Autism Spectrum Disorder which your children deal with.

Their current providers can guide you on that too, since s/he knows what your children need.

Let us know when your family will be coming to Idaho for a job interview. We can probably suggest more once we know where you will be in the state.

Good luck!

MSR

Old 08-02-2014, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,052 times
Hi JAC_E,

My son has Aspergers Syndrome and is high functioning, he's 19. My husband and I originally wanted to move to Meridian or Boise but he might be getting a position in IF. A doctor I currently work for grew up in Ammon and said he loved it. We currently live in California (yuck!) and I'm so nervous about moving. I'm hoping to be able to stay home with my kids, if anybody that currently lives there knows if that is possible I would love to discuss it with you. I've heard wonderful things about Idaho and how family oriented it is there. When I look on Zillow.com and I see a house I like, I check the school rating as well. I'm also wanting to find out the average cost of bills there so I can calculate. Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:37 PM

208 posts, read 317,570 times
Cost of living should be much better here for you, coming from California, and you'll probably pay a lot less in taxes, so that in itself may take some stress off and allow you to stay home. Specifically speaking of the Southeast Idaho side, utilities are cheap here comparatively, and for more services you'd want to stay toward a larger town like Twin Falls or IF. Ammon is really an offshoot of IF(in my opinion - they are close and often intertwined, so when comparing the "where" you can basically consider them the same, but when it comes to taxes, utilities, etc., they operate different so you'd want to get more info when you've nailed down a job and a house or two. It will also depend on the house - is it primarily electric or natural gas, etc. It shouldn't matter where you wind up with regard to school services because with an IEP they're all bound under federal law to provide adequete services(Public schools). Having moved to Ammon a year ago and visited Poky and Twin Falls, I personally would prefer Twin or IF over Poky, but, Poky is almost an hour closer to SLC, so if you want to have big city services within a closer reach, that may be an option for you. I would say any of these towns are family oriented. Although there are things we miss(we're from back east), we have had a great experience here with the people, medical care, etc. We came here with our jobs, but from what we've seen it's not the easiest job market here for good paying jobs, so definitely have the job in place as stated before. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: