U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 05:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,688,163 times

Advertisements

It seems to me there are less events or even mentioning 9/11 than other years. Thank goodness EZ-Rock (106.3) played Lee Greenwood's song at well placed times. I heard the lunchtime tv news mention it briefly.

The 8th graders, and all others younger than 14, don't know any other world. In four years when those teens are young adults will they even remember?

I have not looked at events planned for tonight. If you know of some, please post them as events aren't being covered the same way as even a year ago.

What have you seen, done, observed today? Are we remembering the day the U.S. and other countries lost more than 3,000 people? Are we remembering all the changes?

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 05:45 PM

5,254 posts, read 17,420,164 times
A 343 walk began down at Freeman Park at 4:00PM today in remembrance of the 343 firefighters who lost their lives, hosted by IFFD Pipes & Drums. I was going, however my leg wasn't willing

Old 09-12-2014, 02:58 PM

28,162 posts, read 19,883,753 times
I certainly noticed all the flags that were out yesterday. It was apparent to me that Idaho Falls hasn't forgotten 9/11 at all.

I very much doubt that it will be forgotten in the years to come. It was the first major defining event of the 21st century. Every century has one, but very few have fallen so close to the turn of the calendar's page.

Most centuries don't begin to exhibit the major events that change them until the new century is about a decade in. The further back one goes, the more the following century remains more like the one that passed that the big events that came to define it. That 9/11 happened in 2001, less than a year after the turn of the century, is a real historical rarity.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,688,163 times
Thumbs up Good!

I was pleased to read the above. It's been the very limited outings and some media who didn't seem to honor or remember the day the same as before.

Cleosmom, we've got to get you better. I'll bet the memory of the firefighters lost was powerful! Good for those who could participate.

Mike, yes, I agree that horrible day was a defining moment as the century turned. I hope you are right that future generations don't downplay the horror most of us saw on tv and some saw live.

Stevie Nicks had flown to NYC just hrs.before the attacks. Her journals, which she shares online, record her experience at Ground Zero. Powerful words. She quotes the Eagles saying, "That Was the End of (our) Innocence."

I'm glad Idaho Falls remembered. Maybe it was the media who didn't cover as much as usual. Whatever the truth is, I'm glad locals in Eastern ID remembered and honored those we lost.

MSR

Old 09-13-2014, 12:04 AM

28,162 posts, read 19,883,753 times
It's much like Pearl Harbor, I think. By the time I was old enough to know about Pearl Harbor, the anniversaries were pretty quiet. But all my folks from older generations always talked and reminisced about it, even if there wasn't much public display of remembrance.

Idaho Falls was like that back in the day. Flags weren't flown in remembrance of past events as much as they are now, but really, the flags weren't needed. I still remember seeing the small gold star cloth banners people put up in their windows to show they had lost someone in the war. They were in many windows throughout the 50s, but as the folks died or moved, they slowly disappeared.

I think the last importance of 9/11 will never be forgotten by those who were living then, and they will pass on to those who weren't the importance of the day and remembering it, quietly, in their families and homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls