Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:28 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post
^Wow; more than one sushi restaurant? Really!?!? That's great news!

Is there anything in terms of Home Depot or Lowe's?

Also another big one: Costco?

Both Home Depot and Lowe's along with a locally owned hardwaremini-chain; Rocknack's and of course Ace.

No Costco, but we have Sam's club. We also have Winco for warehouse style grocery shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM

210 posts, read 946,914 times
Confirmed rumors of a Costco under construction in Pocatello, though nothing official yet I don't think. I think Costco has built land in October and there has been demolition and construction activity on the land, but no official announcement of a store.

Twin Falls Costco manager said that he thought they were planning a store in Pocatello.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:02 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Wink With Time, Costco will be Open Too

Costco is suppose to build in eastern ID after they FINISH all of their UTAH stores. I've had that info from about 4 different sources.

They have land picked out in Idaho Falls. Who knows which site they will finally decide on and when?

Pocatello had a major bid, so-to-speak, for a Costco Distribution Center. Now, we hear nothing of that, so I don't think Costco is planning to go that route. That doesn't mean anything about timing of a regular store or not in the Pocatello area.

Not sure how Costco decides to enter a market. Conversely, Target is in Idaho Falls, but not Pocatello for very clear reasons (similar to Barnes and Noble).

Starbucks is suffering for being so "off" on the Idaho Falls market. It is a regional hub for 300,000 to shop. Rumor says more stores, at least one fairly soon.

How much the Sam's Club major expansion and 2 WalMarts, plus Target, Fred Meyers and Shopko factor in for Costco in Idaho Falls, I don't know.

But, Costco absolutely has reviewed Idaho Falls for a store. Some say their major problem right now is deciding where to place it. Some choices were more simple before TCOR, Snake River Landing (check out their new website: Snake River Landing) and other developments started changing demographics in the city.

I hope that info helps.

MSR

Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 AM

Pocatello lost the bid for the distribution center to Salt Lake City.

See this 2005 article.
Costco to build a regional facility | Deseret News (Salt Lake City) | Find Articles at BNET.com
"Ground already has been broken for the nearly 500,000-square- foot facility at 5600 W. 300 South." and "Pocatello was a close second in the running to land the center, Kahn said."

Inside sources say that Costco will sometime acquire land years before they build a store, and that is no guarantee that they will build on that land, they may resell it later if that is what they decide. What I have heard from reputable sources, is that land has changed hands in Pocatello, there are calls for bids out for construction, but I have heard of no contracts being awarded. There is contruction on the site, but I don't now if it was contracted by the original owners of the land as a condition of the sale. I have also heard there is internal politics at play between IF and Pocatello to land the Costco.

Here's a photo for you...
https://secure.pocatelloshops.com/ph...ile=costco.jpg

I guess we will have to wait for an official announcement.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM

215 posts, read 877,861 times
"...Target is in Idaho Falls, but not Pocatello for very clear reasons (similar to Barnes and Noble).

Starbucks is suffering for being so "off" on the Idaho Falls market..."

Please elaborate on these comments...and please don't tell me there are no Starbucks in IF!

Last edited by Moon Waffle; 01-16-2008 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
"...Target is in Idaho Falls, but not Pocatello for very clear reasons (similar to Barnes and Noble).

Please elaborate on these comments...and please don't tell me there are no Starbucks in IF!
I'm not the one who you quoted, but might be able to help out on part of it.

Idaho Falls is a shopping hub, more so than Pocatello due to the proxmity to the upper Snake River Valley (Rexburg, Rigby, St, Anthony etc. etc.) along with those that come over from western Wyoming for supplies. That's in reference to Target.

My own opinion on why Starbuck's isn't doing to swift is due to the location on Broadway near I-15, although it's on the south side of the road rather than the north which would be a tad easier for those heading to the Site.

That's their only stand alone store whereas there's one tucked away in Fred Meyer's.

Pocatello is a college town, so more of the shopping dollars are up here in Idaho Falls.

If my guesse are incorrect, then I will go hide in my corner

Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Local coffee shops are much better than Starbucks anyway. There is no shortage of great little coffee shops in Pocatello if you want them, and I'd guess I.F. is similar, maybe not quite as many because it's not as much of a college town.

As for the shopping hub, I think cleosmom is right on in her comments. because I.F. draws from a much larger area, they have many more choices when it comes to retail stores.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:22 PM

40 posts, read 215,852 times
As a mom in the IF area, I have to say I'm thrilled with the selection of children's products, clothing, and recreational activities in Idaho Falls. The mall is much larger and busier than nearby areas. We have several stores similar to Pocatello, but I couldn't give up Baby Gap, Toys R Us, Old Navy, Barnes and Noble, Target, Sam's Club not to mention places like Leo's, Blast Off, Pojo's playland..the zoo, amusement area and plethora of parks......oh I could go on but you see what I mean. Parents, if you're debating on Idaho Falls versus another town in SE Idaho, I strongly encourage you to check this place out at length. It's hard to get bored with little ones here.

I'm glad Starbucks has located here, but I can make just as good of a mocha before I leave my house in the morning. More time for shopping and doing things with the kids! I'm looking forward to trying Riot Zone and the Rexburg water park this summer.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Wink What Great Info You Are Receiving, Moon Waffle!

Quote:

Moon Waffle,

It seems like you've gotten some really useful comments from others here. I'm glad they shared what they did.

Idaho Mom, have you been to the new kids clothing store downtown? I can never remember the name, but is suppose to be more designer names.

Starbucks, per a local manager, told me they "blew it big time" not getting stores in Idaho Falls much earlier. Specifically, they have been looking at Hitt Road and "sitting" on that decision.

The W. Broadway Starbucks is very busy, given the tourist, and INL workers. There may be off hours some days, but I'm not aware of them. The drive through may have something to do with that.

Much like Idaho Mom suggests, many people locally prefer their own blends of coffee. Additionally, the thread about Starbucks in Idaho Falls mentions the many locally owned stands. It's my understanding that one of them plans to incorporate and franchise.

I think what is very safe to say, is Starbucks grossly underestimated the Idaho Falls area market. When a MSA is 103K, let alone the tourism/INL workers, no way is one Starbucks on W. Broadway and the one in Fred Meyers going to serve the local needs. I have no idea who is responsible for the decision of where Starbucks built or didn't, and when, but I do know the old rule of thumb that Idaho Falls has too many LDS simply isn't true. I don't even know if 50:50 is an accurate ratio any more.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Hitt Road Starbucks drive through in the not-so- distant future. Or, if the right property, it may be a larger coffee shop where guests can look at the mountains to the east. But, until it's built, Starbucks has competition in Idaho Falls.

The Target comment - I'd feel better giving you more info, if you want it, Moon Waffle, via PM. Just send me a PM, if you want to know more.

If you are into beer fests, then start planning for late May or early June. Idaho Falls hosts the largest in Northern America. Last year organizers realy expanded activities. I can give you that website if you would like it.

I hope this info helps.

MSR

Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 AM

97 posts, read 504,002 times
Default Mormons and potato farmers

Idaho Falls is quite a cold place in the winter. Hot in the summer but the elevation keeps it cool at night. The power sructure in IF is controlled by the Mormons. Many of the small towns in the area are up to 90% Mormon. One if the great things about IF is accessability to the Rocky Mountains. It is only 3-4 hours to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, The Grand Tetons, and the spectacular Yellowstone National Park. The rugged beauty of Montana is only a few short hours drive away. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls