Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:16 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times

Advertisements

I'm putting both College and the Pro Bowls here. I'm aware tOSU (Ohio State) defeated Oregon to win the first new College Championship Game. I want this as a local post as I'm always surprised what players and coaches come from our area. It looks like Poky has produced a fair amount of football players who have gone on to get their college degrees and some even into the pros.

Today Seattle Seahawks and Greenbay are playing for the NFL Championship. Then it's the Colts and N.E. Patroits playing for the AFC. Let's see who wins before we look for local connections, except fans.

The football playoffs keep certain items at lower prices in the grocery stores, or so it seems. Probably most of us benefit from that. Maybe those who work in grocery stores can add more. I'd never really thought about the grocery aspect much until yesterday. Would there be as many friends getting together if certain items weren't on sale during the playoffs? Or is food slightly cheaper in general due to lower gas prices for distributors? I wondered that as I saw a family of Steelers fans wearing their Steelers Jerseys shopping yesterday. Maybe they were the Pittsburgh family that relocated in Idaho Falls and I've told you about, Cleosmom. I think the kids were too old. It was good to see this family enjoy themselves.

The local restaurants that show football should have done better having the college games. I don't have any info. about them, but I believe viewership was higher overall. Does any Pizza place show sports on multiple tvs? I can't think of any except delivery :G Interestingly enough, I saw a coupon or something Friday that the new Pizza Hut in Shelley was open.

Add anything you want about how the college and pro football playoffs pertain to the East side of Idaho. Pro ball has a lot of football fans here with a variety of favorite teams.

I believe Green Bay was one of the more popular teams in ID, per the NFL Jerseys sold. We don't know where in the state. It was a survey about what jerseys women bought or similar. If you remember more clearly, please add.

To all the NFL fans.....have fun and enjoy the games

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:50 PM

Question Teachable Moment

Ok, I have a couple of questions I hope one or more can answer. Packer WR Cobb spent 3 hrs. in a Seattle area hospital last night for suspected appendicitis. He was treated and released and is suppose to play today.

NFL | Randall Cobb spent 3 hours in hospital Sat. - Rotoworld.com

My first question of course is what was wrong? There isn't much written.

Secondly, aren't all players subject to have a drug test at anytime? A normal person would have receive narcotic pain relievers, as his physicians originally thought he had appendicitis. A non-athlete, normal person would be given something to relieve the pain during the work - up.

What happens to players in the NFL? Would he have to refuse all controlled substances for pain? Or because Cobb spent three hours in a hospital, is he somehow not eligible to have a drug test today given known "treatment" during the night?

One wonders what kind of treatment he received that required three hours...... Ruling out appendicitis is based so much on lab values and perhaps an ultrasound. Those can be completed within 30 minutes and remember, the MDs initially thought he had appendicitis. I wonder if he received I.V. antibiotics and pain ttratment with non-narctoric pain relievers?

Thanks to those who can explain

MSR

Old 01-18-2015, 04:54 PM

Thumbs up What a Game!

Can you believe the last five minutes of the Seattle -Greenbay game I'll have to start digging out the USU grads on the Hawks.

I like having OUR geographically closest team in the Superbowl! Go Hawks!

Any predictions for the Colts and Patroits?

Old 01-18-2015, 06:55 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Let's hope for a repeat championship.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Let's hope for a repeat championship.
That would be fine with me. Thanks for posting green_mariner. You are welcome to read the other posts and add to the discussion.

Congrats to the N. E. Patroits too.

No trash talk, honest analysis like Double H and others contributed to last year is welcome.

Also, I'm interested what everyone thinks about whether Idaho is becoming more of a Seattle Team or not. If so, given that a new Executive Dir. has been hired for the I.F. Events Center and new funding options are being explored to speed construction up; should we in Eastt Idaho start talking now among ourselves, with coaches and the Event Center staff to acknowledge our connection with the SeaHawks? The ultimate goal being getting summer camps and maybe even a league similar to what kids do with the Jr. Jazz.

Maybe SkyWest would get a flight to Seattle added again.

I know this is a painful point for both cities, but Idaho Falls kids and residents could benefit from Seattle not having the NBA and Salt Lake City not having the NFL. I see a lot of possibilities. Organizations benefit from creating the next generation or two of fans. And teens could attend camps that *claim* their home area as part of Hawk Nation. Kids could get better help ahead of college and potentially attend a PAC school or other stronger football programs.

Coach Urban Meyer tOSU is out with coaches looking at JRs. And Sophomores this week. It is NOT premature to have this discussion.

Who knows, maybe there will someday be something similar to a D league for the NFL. Be it training camps or other, Idaho Falls may become an important demographic for the Hawks. That could be tv coverage or more.

I see it as a group of opportunities for smart thinkers.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-18-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 PM

385 posts, read 526,421 times
looks like Seahawks' safety, Jeron Johnson, is the only player with Idaho ties to make the Super Bowl this year. Johnson went to Boise State. no Vandals or Bengals though

two Aggies (Bobby Wagner and Robert Turbin) and one Ute (Sealver Siliga)

Old 01-18-2015, 11:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Was a little worried!!!
Vegas odds has the Game even as of right now.
It will be a good game. Seattle will have to play a non-turnover game and get some turnovers of there own,
if they want to repeat.
Go Hawks

Old 01-18-2015, 11:45 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I'm putting both College and the Pro Bowls here. I'm aware tOSU (Ohio State) defeated Oregon to win the first new College Championship Game. I want this as a local post as I'm always surprised what players and coaches come from our area. It looks like Poky has produced a fair amount of football players who have gone on to get their college degrees and some even into the pros.

Today Seattle Seahawks and Greenbay are playing for the NFL Championship. Then it's the Colts and N.E. Patroits playing for the AFC. Let's see who wins before we look for local connections, except fans.

The football playoffs keep certain items at lower prices in the grocery stores, or so it seems. Probably most of us benefit from that. Maybe those who work in grocery stores can add more. I'd never really thought about the grocery aspect much until yesterday. Would there be as many friends getting together if certain items weren't on sale during the playoffs? Or is food slightly cheaper in general due to lower gas prices for distributors? I wondered that as I saw a family of Steelers fans wearing their Steelers Jerseys shopping yesterday. Maybe they were the Pittsburgh family that relocated in Idaho Falls and I've told you about, Cleosmom. I think the kids were too old. It was good to see this family enjoy themselves.

The local restaurants that show football should have done better having the college games. I don't have any info. about them, but I believe viewership was higher overall. Does any Pizza place show sports on multiple tvs? I can't think of any except delivery :G Interestingly enough, I saw a coupon or something Friday that the new Pizza Hut in Shelley was open.

Add anything you want about how the college and pro football playoffs pertain to the East side of Idaho. Pro ball has a lot of football fans here with a variety of favorite teams.

I believe Green Bay was one of the more popular teams in ID, per the NFL Jerseys sold. We don't know where in the state. It was a survey about what jerseys women bought or similar. If you remember more clearly, please add.

To all the NFL fans.....have fun and enjoy the games

MSR
Most of the Sports bars, Pizza stores open early out here, TV's are in every corner. The Game started at 10 am on Oahu, Today. As i always say, its 12 O'clock somewhere time for a beverage.
This time of year is when business make there money during the NFL Playoffs, and Super Bowls, with their Parties.
I am sure it is Similar in Eastern Idaho, as well as Western Idaho.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:39 AM

Default Any Pattoits Fans Around? Lesson for Teens?

So a Superbowl with some accusations against the Patriots. I don't know if it's true or not. My more important question, as we're keeping this local, is how do you explain this situation and teach appropriate sportsmanship and honesty to high school athletes or the debate club members or young kids you know and influence?

MSR

Old 01-25-2015, 08:31 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
looks like Seahawks' safety, Jeron Johnson, is the only player with Idaho ties to make the Super Bowl this year. Johnson went to Boise State. no Vandals or Bengals though

two Aggies (Bobby Wagner and Robert Turbin) and one Ute (Sealver Siliga)
Thanks for posting these tmp4. I have degrees from both USU and U. of U - - looks like two of my Universities will be represented.

You posted this a week ago. On the sports news that night, four had signed letters for colleges and were announced. One is going to Notre Dame.

I'm a believer that local teens need to be exposed to the larger conferences and do what they can to plan on attending college in a conference that is getting stronger. Most likely that would be a west coast school, for now. I'm surprised and also happy for the amount of girls going to college on Volleyball Scholarships throughout the country.

Idaho is at an interesting crossroad as enough families moved from CA and elsewhere that more teens have lived in larger cities with major universities. It will be interesting to see how many attempt to get a scholarship back to their old state, who will want to stay in ID and who will just attempt to get college education wherever.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls