Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 PM

434 posts, read 416,692 times

Advertisements

Imagine putting thousands more people daily at CEI that close to Hitt & 17th. It would change the demographics close to significantly. Addition to the current commercial has almost nowhere to go but Ammon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 10:47 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
Imagine putting thousands more people daily at CEI that close to Hitt & 17th. It would change the demographics close to significantly. Addition to the current commercial has almost nowhere to go but Ammon.
Commercial has plenty of options for I.F. I believe there has been a conscious effort to not develop more close to CEI. I like that you used that abbreviation. Just remember it will take that dumb 66% + 1 vote from 8B residents to make that happen so please talk to neighbors, friends, co-workers now to get them ready to vote Y!

Check out the I.F. zoning around the school. All the property west to Hoopes has been purchased this past summer. I think there are many plans but they won't be announced until the vote passes.

But your point isn't lost. That intersection can't absorb much more traffic. I'd look for the entrance on Hitt to get enlarged with a stoplight there.

And as I've pointed out earlier, if CEI grows rapidly, which I believe it will requiring more space two things could happen. I'd like to see the school utilize some of the N. Holmes and E.. Anderson now-vacant properties for some of the diesel mechanic, auto programs etc. so existing buildings could be remodeled and utilized for more students to get certificates. While it would be ideal to have all programs on one campus, I saw this plan of utilizing vacant space, remodeled, work extremely well with Salt Lake Community College. Mostly what happened is full extension satellite campuses grew from one single building being utilized for certain programs to more classes requested at the different locations. As a result, the satellite campuses could offer even more technical and Associate Degrees while the main campus built four and five story buildings to replace the original structures and expand the school to four year degrees. The four year degrees may not happen here as ISU is in place and losing enrollment, but ISU would finally be forced to complete their plans for Idaho Falls realizing in time Poky may not be the largest east Idaho campus. We sure could use more teachers educated locally.

Secondly, with student body growth, sports programs will get added. Our local students are attending community colleges in OR, WA, MT, UT and even WY on athletic scholarships. It would be awesome if that talent could remain local. Use the Events Center for Games and/or practices. Both CEl and the Events Center would benefit and grow, IMO. That gives local residents more options for recreation.

Check out the multi million expansion of North Idaho College which has satellite campuses, I believe in both Sandpoint and Post Falls have campuses now from the original Cd'A campus.North Idaho College .

Old 11-26-2016, 11:27 AM

It looks like construction has started on D.I. I was surprised how close to 17th it appears to be. I'm use to them being set back in the back of the parking lot. That makes me wonder if the entrance will be from a different road and 17th the exit. Any thoughts?

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Also I was driving on 1st Street further east than I usually go. Is that another Rockwell development beginning on the north side of the road between Hitt and Ammon Road? I noticed the frontage property to Hitt is for sale.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:46 PM

434 posts, read 416,692 times
That development is by Karchner. There will be 200 +/- houses in a senior community and a 300+/- unit apartment complex. I think some of it is designated as commercial too.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
That development is by Karchner. There will be 200 +/- houses in a senior community and a 300+/- unit apartment complex. I think some of it is designated as commercial too.
You are correct. It's Karchner. Rockwell is building so many places including their first development northwest of the airport. Rockwell knows where growth can occur.

Some might be commercial, IDK, but I do know what Karchner is selling on the west is zoned commercial.

That apartment complex will be bigger than The Falls. Since it's Karchner, any thoughts about using the same plans for a similar community? The amenities could be scaled back. An interesting grouping of houses for SRL. and apartments.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 PM

Auto correct sucks. It's Kartchner. I knew they had a "t" in there.

I'm still interested if this apartment community will be like The Falls in SRL. I remember when Theotherdude and I found the information about the Falls apartments. I remember finding the same design for a large complex in St. George, UT, except they had one more story than The Falls. Also, the number of appts. at the Falls wasn't as many as the St. George complex. Plus some in St. George were four bedroom apartments. Maybe they target the college population, IDK. Outside of college, I didn't know apartments could have four bedrooms.

Kartchner also has built appts. in Logan, UT and student apartments in Rexburg. What is slightly interesting about St. George and Logan is they both have "The Falls" as part of their names too. Of course Kartchner built them so apparently name repetition in different markets doesn't appear to bother them. It's kind of funny to me that Logan has "The Falls at Mesa Falls." Hmm, I didn't know there was a Mesa Falls in Logan.........

So I wouldn't be surprised if some of the houses for Seniors looked similar to those in SRL. I still find it an interesting pairing, a Sr. Community and an Apartment Community.

To their credit, Kartchner appears to have built nice, modern additions to our community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls