U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 10:46 PM

266 posts, read 310,162 times

Advertisements

I've mapped it out on Google several times but wanted to hear it from those who've actually made the trips. Realistically, how long of a drive is it (providing weather is decent) from Salmon to Missoula vs. Salmon to Idaho Falls? Just trying to figure out which would be the better/quicker monthly (or so) drive to make into the big town for Walmart, Costco runs, etc. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 AM

71 posts, read 58,365 times
There is no Costco in Idaho Falls (yet). We do have a Sam's Club. Groceries at Winco are priced better than some of the larger chains.
The drive from Salmon to IF is a boring one, but seems to be easier on the nerves. I like to keep my money in Idaho, so my choice would be to go south.
As for the drive, pop in an audio book, and enjoy the trip.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:23 AM

Oh, right! Sorry, I lumped Costco into that making it seem like it was in both places. I meant Walmart for both - I realize that Costco is only in Missoula. Would be great for IF to get one though! Timewise, how long would you say the drive is to IF?

Old 08-20-2015, 01:21 AM

2,086 posts, read 2,248,001 times
Idaho Falls to Salmon 162 Miles 2 hours 33 min.
A lot of flat land driving so is a little faster to
and from Idaho Falls and Salmon.

Salmon to Missoula Montana 141 Miles- 2 hours 39 mins.
A lot of mountain driving to go from Salmon to Missoula.
It is also shorter driving distance and more time than Idaho Falls to salmon.

On the travel to and from either locations. The times will depend on the weather in winter. I always add a hour onto the time driving, during that time of the year, and only travel when you must.
Hope this helps, Best of luck.
Scott

PS:
Buy the way Salmon is one of the towns I'm looking to move too also.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:48 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,150,745 times
I don't really understand how come you think it has to be one or the other. If you are thinking about Salmon and can make a living there, why not appreciate you have a choice? I'm probably missing something from the OP. If it is about shopping, you don't have to decide until you see the weather forecasts which way you'll go.

The weather, fires and other factors change the time to and from Salmon frequently, from both Missoula and Idaho Falls.

Do you have employment secured or are you bringing a business with you? Salmon's current residents can't find full time employment. There was an article you might want to search for, if you haven't.

Also, there are about 4-5 inquiries about Salmon each year. I'd encourage you to use the search feature in this sub-forum and the main Idaho forum too.

BTW, welcome to the forum

In summer or good weather, I agree with siege. Salmon is in District 6 and all state related business goes through Idaho Falls. Might as well support YOUR regional economy. Also, TRPTA does run a bus once or twice a week from Idaho Falls to Salmon. These are buses similar to courtesy shuttles at airports, there may be a limit how much one can have room for in one trip.

Good luck as you search deeper via the search features and Internet to learn more about Salmon

MSR

Old 08-20-2015, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the well thought out answer, MSR.

And thanks for welcoming me but I've been a member here at City Data since 2010 and a resident of Idaho (north) since 2011. I'm not exactly new here, lol. I'm new to posting in the Idaho Falls subforum, but that's about it.

My husband and I both work from home and can thankfully take our jobs anywhere, so no worries on employment for both of us. I'm well aware of the hard times for employment in the smaller towns and even some of the bigger ones. Still not sure what that has to do with my original question at all, but there's your answer. Oh, and we already have our home secured and will be in Salmon in a little over two weeks.

I have no issues supporting local businesses and I've done so all of my life. My question was simple but maybe I didn't word it clearly. In using the search function as I've done many times, I came across a post where someone said (and the post was from about 7 years ago so there's that) where someone said the distance from Salmon to IF is only an hour an a half - which contradicted everything I've been researching. I didn't know if there was some super sneaky way that I wasn't aware of since everything else I've found said it was 2.5 hours. Either way, it's not a big deal. I was just hoping for some clarity.

I'm sorry, I didn't think this was such a difficult question. Apologies for asking - we'll just have to figure it out ourselves!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:34 PM

21,413 posts, read 14,357,337 times
The big deal in the equation is the Lost Trail Pass. It lies outside of Salmon, and it's steep, tight, old, and really can be slick in the winter, especially when it's icy. In the summer, it's mostly just slow.

The pass could make a trip to a Missoula furniture store problematic, for example, if you wanted to buy one and haul it home, but if a person's dentist was in Hamilton, then the pass would have to be driven to get there. A dentist in Idaho Falls would be a much longer trip.
Hauling a new couch back home to Salmon would be a lot easier from Idaho Falls, and the costs would be about the same either direction if you went to Missoula to buy the couch.

I like 28 in the summertime as an alternate route, and I go to Missoula pretty often, as I have a lot of friends who live there. The drive on 28 can be quicker when the weather is good and the traffic light, and it is no doubt a far prettier drive. But if I want to haul the mail at 85 mph, I'll take I-15 to Butte and pick up I-90.

In either direction, you end up supporting some local economy or other. If I was to live in Salmon and found I must commute to either Idaho Falls or Missoula to make a living, I would not hesitate to choose the job in I.F. That's the road that is almost always open year round and is overall a safer drive.

I guess if a person was a good enough driver and wanted to take chances, a trip to I.F. could be accomplished in an hour and a half in good weather, but adding about an hour to that estimate is much more realistic. 60 mph is about all you can do on 28 until you reach Mud Lake-Terreton, and from there in it's all I-15.

Best of luck to you in your new life in Salmon! I fear it may be smoky when you arrive, but hopefully for not very long. I don't mean to imply you will have to travel distances to find what you need to live there; Salmon is still a pretty good and sufficient little town. Depending on your needs, you may not have to leave to find what you want or need there.

And you also have other towns as choices for the stuff that may not be available. Rexburg is closer than I.F., and it's becoming a pretty big little town as far as merchandise goes, as is Hamilton on the Montana side.

Merchandise and specialized medical services, though, are more lopsided in Idaho Falls' favor than Missoula. That's because I.F. services a much larger area than Missoula, including wealthy and remote Jackson Hole. The folks in Jackson come to I.F. for the shopping and the bigger stuff.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the insightful post, Mike! I was hoping you would post. That's exactly what I was looking for.

We're very excited for our new life in Salmon! This is the kind of area we hoped to be in when we first moved from the east coast 4 years ago and now that we're in a position employement-wise, we can finally make it happen.

Also, thank you for the heads up on Rexburg. I hadn't even considered that but will look into it further.

It's unfortunately been pretty smokey here where we are now so I'm not expecting any different when we arrive there. All we can do is hope and pray for rain no matter where we are (snow would be even better).

Again, thank you so much!

Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 AM

21,413 posts, read 14,357,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirlatheart View Post
Thanks for the insightful post, Mike! I was hoping you would post. That's exactly what I was looking for.

We're very excited for our new life in Salmon! This is the kind of area we hoped to be in when we first moved from the east coast 4 years ago and now that we're in a position employement-wise, we can finally make it happen.

Also, thank you for the heads up on Rexburg. I hadn't even considered that but will look into it further.

It's unfortunately been pretty smokey here where we are now so I'm not expecting any different when we arrive there. All we can do is hope and pray for rain no matter where we are (snow would be even better).

Again, thank you so much!
You're welcome, mtngirl.
I don't expect we will get much relief from the smoke this year, but the fires may not be so ferocious next month or in October. Once the nights grow colder, a fire doesn't usually grow nearly as big or as fast as when it's warm all night. The first freeze often wipes the smaller fires out.

For sure, when it comes to fishing and wildlife, Salmon has everything Idaho has, with plenty of it. It's always been a tough little town that goes its own way in a lot of things, and those who love life there really love it.
I like visiting there, and have a friend or two there, but I'm a valley guy. Gotta have the big wide-open spaces down here to feel at home. I think you will enjoy your trips to I.F. once you get the lay of the land in the city. Lotta stuff down here to do and see, but I'm also sure you will be happy to be back home again, out of the hustle-bustle of Idaho Falls.

Missoula is much the same, but it has a real flavor that all its own. It reminds me of old Boulder, when Boulder was still laid-back and cool. I can't tolerate any of that Denver/Boulder area at all these days… way too big city for me!

Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,150,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirlatheart View Post
Thanks for the well thought out answer, MSR.

And thanks for welcoming me but I've been a member here at City Data since 2010 and a resident of Idaho (north) since 2011. I'm not exactly new here, lol. I'm new to posting in the Idaho Falls subforum, but that's about it.

My husband and I both work from home and can thankfully take our jobs anywhere, so no worries on employment for both of us. I'm well aware of the hard times for employment in the smaller towns and even some of the bigger ones. Still not sure what that has to do with my original question at all, but there's your answer. Oh, and we already have our home secured and will be in Salmon in a little over two weeks.

I have no issues supporting local businesses and I've done so all of my life. My question was simple but maybe I didn't word it clearly. In using the search function as I've done many times, I came across a post where someone said (and the post was from about 7 years ago so there's that) where someone said the distance from Salmon to IF is only an hour an a half - which contradicted everything I've been researching. I didn't know if there was some super sneaky way that I wasn't aware of since everything else I've found said it was 2.5 hours. Either way, it's not a big deal. I was just hoping for some clarity.

I'm sorry, I didn't think this was such a difficult question. Apologies for asking - we'll just have to figure it out ourselves!
mtngirlatheart,

I'm glad BanjoMike answered you. As you wrote yourself you hoped he would answer. I'm confused how come you didn't limit your post strictly for him. Please help me to understand better. Also, nowhere in your initial post did you state what your *real question* was: Can you drive to Idaho Falls in 90 min? I won't answer for siege and Scott, but it would have helped me had that been in your post to know what you really wanted to know. I would have skipped posting had you marked your question for BanjoMike, and others may have too, IDK.

Your question above doesn't seem difficult to me either, had you stated what you really wanted to know. Anyone could have answered the time needed to drive.

It is a courtesy some of us in the ID or IF forums have of welcoming someone we have not interacted with previously. Thanks for correcting me so no one else makes the same error.

There aren't a lot of posts about Salmon, but I do recall some comments/questions by a couple of others besides Scott who are seriously looking at Salmon. You are right, I didn't need to post additional information in my response. I apologize to you. However, for the others looking at Salmon there is more data for them to consider when searthing Salmond threads. I was going to add I hope INL's latest patent and finding what they did near Salmon helps some looking for work. I'll skip the link.

I'm really glad you will be in Salmon and can respond to the questions we get here about living there. Your help is much needed and appreciated by the few of us who post in the IF forum You free the rest of us up to focus on other interests vs. trying to help those looking at Salmon.

I have thoughts about some of what BanjoMike said, but will let you learn on your own.

I look forward to your response and more than ever, welcome to this forum! You will be much needed resource.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or