Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 9,690 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My husband and I both agree that Idaho sounds like a place we would most like to move to with our children. We've been thru Boise a few times and agree it's too much city for us. I love IF for everything that I can find on it, low housing prices, near best national park, overall happy city. But then I'll see people say the opposite, not knowing why anyone would move there, ect. Can you give me some insight on the overall feel of Idaho falls? Are children raised in an environment to thrive in? Would you recommend people to move there if they had choices of where to move to? Thanks for the responses in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 PM

385 posts, read 526,421 times
Definitely come visit for several days first (possibly once in the summer and once in the winter) and most importantly have a job lined up before you make the move. The transplants I've talked to who seem unhappy with their decision to move here either A) moved here sight-unseen, or B) moved here thinking it would be easy to find a good job

personally, I love it here and am glad I moved here

Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 9,690 times
Nice glad to hear you like it there. I get confused reading so much back and forth feelings about it. I will definitely visit before moving. It wouldn't be for at least a year or so anyway. Just dreaming of a better place for my kids to grow up!

Old 09-29-2015, 10:50 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
You heart so many different views, because people are different. What one is looking/hoping for, is not necessarily what the next one is seeking.

Southeast Idaho has a lot to offer families; museums, a zoo, several city parks, interactive sports (soccer, baseball, BMX etc.), proximity to National Parks, ski hills, several city events throughout the year and best of all clean air

As mentioned earlier in this thread, please come visit and you will want to have a job lined up before mving if it's your decision.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:57 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheretoraisemyson View Post
Hello all,
My husband and I both agree that Idaho sounds like a place we would most like to move to with our children. We've been thru Boise a few times and agree it's too much city for us. I love IF for everything that I can find on it, low housing prices, near best national park, overall happy city. But then I'll see people say the opposite, not knowing why anyone would move there, ect. Can you give me some insight on the overall feel of Idaho falls? Are children raised in an environment to thrive in? Would you recommend people to move there if they had choices of where to move to? Thanks for the responses in advance!
Hi Wheretoraisemyson,

I think both Cleosmom and tmp4 have given you really good advice. You don't state what you are looking for so it's difficult to know what to write. Best of lists always look at certain factors. Make sure you know how whatever list you found came up with the score that you saw.

There will always be people who have different opinions. That's healthy in any area. That being said, it is impossible for any of us to address unknown remarks. Moving is easier on children when parents know how come they are moving and are settled with the decision, regardless of the state and city.

There are some who say they don't want to change Idaho, but immediately engage in discussions here about why they don't vaccinate their kids where they currently live and don't plan to follow that school district rule in Idaho, or they can conduct business X in their home, although they are looking at homes in strictly residential areas or the area costs more than they thought etc. Those people will probably have a more difficult time wherever they go. It doesn't benefit anyone if you and your family can't live on the income you make living in a new location. Some of what you've seen here from older postings is from people who somehow thought they could live off of what they currently owned and sold. Moving to I.F. is probably 90-95% similar to moving anywhere. It's essential to have a start date for a new job so your family doesn't go long without new earnings. Other needs can be more easily met when a few things are in place.

Children thrive when their parents are doing well, IMO. It is the parents' responsibility to help their children adjust to the changes one or more parent is considering. I know many families that have a parent work in a different state, but the family decided for whatever reasons to not move the children there.

I join tmp4 and Cleosmom and say plan a visit for winter and summer. You need more than two days each time to examine what you want to know about a city. I'll tell you at a recent City Council meeting a mother who moved to Idaho Falls, I think it was two years ago, commented about the City Budget. She explained she learned of I.F. through a *Best City to Raise Children List* and moved here. She complained that the city only had one library and it took them months to order a book she wanted. She asked how could one library be enough?

Especially after reading her comments, I urge people to visit longer to learn the answers to questions important to you. None of us can make the decision for you. It never would have occurred to me one library and a branch library in a smaller town would be enough for a mother to be unhappy with the city. Perhaps her children can't use the internet until much older or something...the point being, we don't know all the big and small things you are looking for, only you do.

Let us know when you plan to visit so we can suggest hotels, places to see and what clot he's to pack.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: