Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 10:39 AM

63 posts, read 80,556 times

Advertisements

Another question about IF. I did a search, but the latest information seems to be from 2014. I was wondering what information IF Vets have about the clinic and any other Veteran, "Things", located there. Where do patients go if they need more specialized services or admission? Is there transport available for appointments? I am a former Navy Hospital Corpsman - Viet Nam Era. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:18 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Hi, Talonap...
I heard there's a veteran's clinic here, although I've never used it and don't know much about it. It's relatively new; there is an older one in Pocatello, 50 mi. south, that has been in operation for some time.

The closest V.A. hospital is in Salt Lake City. I believe there's a shuttle bus to it, and it's a pretty big hospital. There's also another in Boise, but that's farther away. SLC is 200 mi. south. Boise is about 250 mi. northwest from I.F.

I'm sure the V.A. can provide details on their website. I'm pretty healthy, so i've never had the need to sign up for health services yet.

I'm also a Navy vet, Nam era.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:58 PM

63 posts, read 80,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hi, Talonap...
I heard there's a veteran's clinic here, although I've never used it and don't know much about it. It's relatively new; there is an older one in Pocatello, 50 mi. south, that has been in operation for some time.

The closest V.A. hospital is in Salt Lake City. I believe there's a shuttle bus to it, and it's a pretty big hospital. There's also another in Boise, but that's farther away. SLC is 200 mi. south. Boise is about 250 mi. northwest from I.F.

I'm sure the V.A. can provide details on their website. I'm pretty healthy, so i've never had the need to sign up for health services yet.

I'm also a Navy vet, Nam era.
Thank you for the information! I guess I didn't realize how far away the Hospitals are by looking at a map! I'm wondering if that VA program where they let you go to a local hospital and pay for it would be available at the IF medical center there. Have to look into that.

You might think about signing up for the health services anyway, even if you don't need to use them now. At least you'd have immediate access if the need arises. It's great to get an annual physical with lab work for free instead of using medicare which only authorizes routine lab tests every 5 years. Also, free vision and hearing tests, and if you wear glasses, you can get them free or at a low co-pay every year. I've been using the VA system since 2013 and have not had any problems getting care - except sometimes with transportation. (My wife and I no longer have a car, so I have to rely on the Veteran's Transportation System to Jesse Brown Hospital in Chicago for specialty stuff). The VA site tends to not give out much information - had to get the transportation info from my local provider who just happened to know about it from a friend of his.

Anyway, something to think about. Thanks again for the information!

Old 01-29-2017, 01:52 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Thanks for the advice, Talonap!
I'm going to do some checking myself, as you're right; I'm approaching the age where more routine maintenance is needed.

If I learn something more, I'll post it to this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls