U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 12:54 AM

9 posts, read 18,952 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

We are looking to relocate next year from the Minneapolis Minnesota area, and we are looking at several different cities as an option, with Idaho Falls being one of them. I just have a few questions..

First, let me just say, I am aware that the city has a large Mormon population, and I am ok with that!

Now I know Boise has been ranked as having some of the worst air quality in the nation, with the inversions, and wildfires and all that.. does Idaho Falls have any sort of problem with the air quality? Is it anything like Boise?

Is Idaho Falls prone to any sort of natural disaster? Earthquakes, Tornados, etc..?

Now, as I mentioned, we currently live in Minnesota, in a suburb very close to Minneapolis. How would the winters in IF rank to what we have here in Minnesota? Are they similar or not as bad?

Is IF a good place to raise children? We have an 8 year old right now, and we want to make sure we relocate to a nice, family friendly, safe area. Is crime bad, or are there any areas to stay away from?

And lastly, I've read a few things online where people have said that cold/snowy weather lasts like 8-9 months. Is this true? Does Idaho Falls get 4 seasons? Does the sun ever come out in the winter? And what is the summertime like?

Thank you for reading, and I appreciate any responses!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:59 AM

5,285 posts, read 17,539,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnViking View Post
Hello all -

We are looking to relocate next year from the Minneapolis Minnesota area, and we are looking at several different cities as an option, with Idaho Falls being one of them. I just have a few questions..

First, let me just say, I am aware that the city has a large Mormon population, and I am ok with that!

Now I know Boise has been ranked as having some of the worst air quality in the nation, with the inversions, and wildfires and all that.. does Idaho Falls have any sort of problem with the air quality? Is it anything like Boise?

Is Idaho Falls prone to any sort of natural disaster? Earthquakes, Tornados, etc..?

Now, as I mentioned, we currently live in Minnesota, in a suburb very close to Minneapolis. How would the winters in IF rank to what we have here in Minnesota? Are they similar or not as bad?

Is IF a good place to raise children? We have an 8 year old right now, and we want to make sure we relocate to a nice, family friendly, safe area. Is crime bad, or are there any areas to stay away from?

And lastly, I've read a few things online where people have said that cold/snowy weather lasts like 8-9 months. Is this true? Does Idaho Falls get 4 seasons? Does the sun ever come out in the winter? And what is the summertime like?

Our inversion layer is scant compared to Boise.

We're close to Yellowstone so yes we get earthquakes, having grown up in central California, I've never noticed the ones we've had. Spring and Summer can bring some good storms with microbursts, funnel clouds, the rare touchdown and hail.

I've never lived in Minnesota, can't compare.

I would say IF is a good place to raise your children, quite family friendly! Yes there is crime, where there are people, there is crime. A few neighborhoods can be "rough", but not anything like an inner city issue.

Yes, we get four distinct seasons, that's the beauty of living here. Snow can start with some light snowfall and dustings in October, nothing major and you can see the same in April.Yes the sun comes out, plenty of Bluebird days here!! Summer has little to no humidity unless a storm is brewing and high temps flirt with the low to mid 90's.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:56 PM

9,267 posts, read 7,512,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnViking View Post
Hello all -

I lived in Pocatello, about 50 miles south, 2006-2009, and Idaho Falls 2009-2015.

Inversions are not common in Idaho Falls. However, they can occur under high pressure during the winter. Again, not nearly as bad as SLC or Boise.

Earthquakes? Never felt one in this area during my years there. Tornadoes? No, the same. However, there is a storm area just west of Pocatello that gets severe thunderstorms on a regular basis. I don't know of any recent tornadoes, but it would be false to claim they never occur.

Idaho Falls winters are definitely cold...how they compare to Minneapolis, not entirely sure, but my guess is that fall in IF is a little sooner, and spring is also a little sooner. This, IMO, is due to it being relatively close to the Pacific Ocean. Yes, though far from the ocean, it does benefit from some modified Pacific air.

IF is a great family area.

IF does get sunshine in the winter, unlike Seattle and Portland, though even those cities get sunshine at times during the winter. 4 seasons, yes! Summertime is usually nice and rarely very hot. I have witnessed a few 100 degree summer days, (dry), but they are not normal. I also witnessed a 4th of July around 2010 or 2011 that was 52 degrees and windy. Variability is common in this region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: