Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 01:43 PM

56 posts, read 96,481 times

Advertisements

We are a rural family who likes to raise our own food, maybe sell extra... meat, veggies, etc. We are originally from Oregon/Washington but we live in Wisconsin currently. Hubby is a senior level IT guy, he is currently looking for an opportunity. I do have a few questions.
1. We homeschool and know the laws are favorable in ID but in the south eastern part of the state I am finding it challenging to locate groups, do you know of any?

2. We are Traditional Catholic, which means we prefer the Latin Mass as opposed to the English. Is there a TLM in the south eastern part of the state or northern Utah?

3. We currently have a farm... a horse,goats, sheep, rabbits, chickens and dogs.. Are there country properties to rent?

4. Do you know of any good paying ( 110K+) senior systems admin, architect or VMware positions in the general area?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 03:15 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28sofar View Post
We are a rural family who likes to raise our own food, maybe sell extra... meat, veggies, etc. We are originally from Oregon/Washington but we live in Wisconsin currently. Hubby is a senior level IT guy, he is currently looking for an opportunity. I do have a few questions.
1. We homeschool and know the laws are favorable in ID but in the south eastern part of the state I am finding it challenging to locate groups, do you know of any?

2. We are Traditional Catholic, which means we prefer the Latin Mass as opposed to the English. Is there a TLM in the south eastern part of the state or northern Utah?

3. We currently have a farm... a horse,goats, sheep, rabbits, chickens and dogs.. Are there country properties to rent?

4. Do you know of any good paying ( 110K+) senior systems admin, architect or VMware positions in the general area?

Thank you in advance.
Hi, mom...
1. The school district will give you info on home schooling groups. There are several, but I don't have the info myself.

2. Try contacting the local diocese. I'm sure there's a website somewhere. We have 2 Catholic churches in I.F., and since we have an unusually cosmopolitan population for Idaho, there's a possibility one service might be done in Latin.

3. There may be some country rental properties, but I'm pretty sure they go quickly, so it will likely depend on the moment. If you folks are fixer-uppers, that may help you find and secure a place.

4. It's a profession that likely has openings, but here in Idaho, landing the job often depends more on personal contact than anything else. Résumés may get an interview, but face-to-face tends to land the job. Polite persistence also helps after an initial interview.
If your hubby has a laid-back attitude and displays he knows his stuff and has a high non-fluster factor, it will probably help him.

That's the general business atmosphere here. People tend to be easy going, but are always prepared for high-tension crunches that come along. Those who can ride those moments out well tend to get the job.

Again, this is very general. Like it is everywhere, there are businesses that operate under high performance tension all the time here and some that have very little tension.

Idaho Falls is a very entrepreneurial city, so a lot of employers are watchful during job interviews for the applicants who may not stick around for long before they quit and become competition.

Wages are typically lower in Idaho than in other states, so employees often will use their first job as training for going out as an independent operator. That's a big part of the reason why face-to-face relationships are so important in getting a good job here. The well established companies all hate to get clients dog robbed away from them from a former employee after they trained them.

At the same time, there are always shaky start-ups who need personnel but will try to appear they're a lot more solidly positioned than they really are. These outfits may be quick to offer the job, but may not be able to deliver on the job promises later on.

It often pays a job applicant new to this area to be alert to this. Some advance research into the company that's offering jobs can help avoid getting into a job that might turn out to be not as good as a first impression may indicate.

A starting position that pays $100k here is going to be pretty rare, and will most likely be filled by someone who's well known locally in the profession Again, this is in general. It sometimes depends on the skill level needed and the ability of an applicant to drop right into such a position immediately, with very little training needed.

There will be local job competition. Idaho Falls is a pretty high-tech city in comparison to much of the state, and it's always been very business-oriented since the very first days of our founding.

The very first settlers here immediately built a toll bridge across the Snake River, as Idaho Falls has the narrowest crossing point in a hundred miles in either direction, and the Snake River was one of the biggest blockades in the region. Finding a safe and short crossing determined many of the trade routes here.
That toll bridge created the most direct route into Montana and Wyoming mining territories for all merchants and goods, so the earliest settlers of Idaho Falls who didn't become farmers became businessmen.

Last edited by banjomike; 10-19-2018 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls