Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 9,920 times

Advertisements

I am presently living in Idaho Falls. I have two children in Middle School that attend district 93. My children are having problems in the public school system because we are not LDS. They are being picked on and excluded from activites. We are christians, but not LDS. I love the area but would like my children to be more accepted. We are a wonderful christian family. I was inquiring about Taylor's Crossing Charter School. Does anyone have any information about the charter schools? Are they good schools? Are they mostly LDS? Is there a good mixture of different kinds of people? Any information on the charter schools would be appreciated. Also any information on places in Idaho Falls where there is a good mixture of people and not mostly LDS. I do not mean to offend the LDS. I know there are some wonderful LDS people out there, but we have just been treated so horribly the past year that I am desperate for a better way of life for my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 11:24 AM
sav

62 posts, read 302,290 times
There are 2 charter schools in IF, White Pine and Taylor Crossing. I think they mostly get good reviews and there are waiting lists for both. There is also Snake River Montessori School, which goes up to 6th grade, but is private.
I have not shared your experience here in IF and yes, I have children. We live closer in to downtown and our neighborhood is quite diverse. In addition, there are a number of ways to meet a lot of interesting people here, from joining the community garden, the organic food coop, the library, the ski club, the idaho alpine club. good luck!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:33 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,496,873 times
I live in an area considered predominately LDS and my 6th and 8th grader have also not shared this experience. They have friends of all faiths. Later this month they will be going to a field trip to a mosque, and studying Buddhism.

I have heard that there is a good Montessori school in IF, but how would being in a charter school address the problem you describe? Is there some reason to think only non-LDS persons send their kids to charter schools?

Personally, if there really is such a problem in your school, this would be an opportunity to model for your children how to address and attempt to resolve such a problem. Last I checked, IF was less than 50% LDS.

We are new here, and have experienced nothing but a diverse environment, in the public schools in our town, in the workplace, in social groups, at the supermarket....the only exception being the inundation with unwanted church visitors at the door, until I told them to go away.

I hope I don't offend with my own .02 cents, but I'd make an effort to get my kids involved in extra-curricular activities before I did something drastic like pull them out of their school.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,369,644 times
Post Check The Local Christian Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpwanted4321 View Post
I am presently living in Idaho Falls. I have two children in Middle School that attend district 93. My children are having problems in the public school system because we are not LDS. They are being picked on and excluded from activites. We are christians, but not LDS. I love the area but would like my children to be more accepted. We are a wonderful christian family. I was inquiring about Taylor's Crossing Charter School. Does anyone have any information about the charter schools? Are they good schools? Are they mostly LDS? Is there a good mixture of different kinds of people? Any information on the charter schools would be appreciated. Also any information on places in Idaho Falls where there is a good mixture of people and not mostly LDS. I do not mean to offend the LDS. I know there are some wonderful LDS people out there, but we have just been treated so horribly the past year that I am desperate for a better way of life for my family.
Dear helpwanted4321,

We each seem to find unique things where we live. Are you in D #91/ or D #93? If you are in #93 (Bonneville), then it may be a little more difficult to find a school that has more diversity. District #91 would have more diversity at probably any school than District #93.

I always caution people who think the only housing is in Ammon that may not be the best fit for them, based on other needs.

Have you asked about moving your children to a different school within the district? You didn't say how old they were, but it is possible if they are K-6, in certain areas of #93, any parent wanting their children to attend school in a different school is welcome, given the schools bursting at their seams. (Including the 4 new elmentary schools).

I second what SAV asked about wondering what you think a charter school will do differently. Let alone the waiting lists at the charter schools, is it the teachers who treat your children poorly? If so, that is a school board/school district issue you owe not only to yourself, your children but other parents to address at the appropriate levels within the district. If it is other children/parents, what has your pastor/reverand suggested?

You are your kids' mom and I trust you know what is best for them. Have you checked with the local Christian Schools? There are a few and parents seem happy with what their children learn. One, if not two, were going to expand to K-12. It may be that with a few more Christian families, like your own, the schools who want to expand and need X number of students to do so might meet their numbers if your kiddos and those of others joined them. I have no idea what the tuition is.

I think it's great you wrote you are a good Christian family. It reminds me of a question a mom from CO wrote about 18 months ago. You might want to start a thread about Christian activities in the Idaho Falls area or something to bring together more parents.

Let us know what you learn and how you resolve this problem. I'm certain other parents would appreciate the information. Plus, others need to know the cost of local tuition for private schools, be they Parochial - which is an option as well, Christian, Charter or otherwise private like Montessori.

Looking forward to reading what you can teach us (no pun intended) about local options for education.

MSR

Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,920 times
My children attend district 93 schools. They are great children with wonderful social personalities. They love people and are nonjudgmental human beings. We have been living in Ammon for two years. Prior to coming to the IF area, our famiy lived in a very diverse area. There were all types of people, all types of religions. Most everyone accepted "different." That is life. I'm not saying there weren't any problems, just no major issues with religion. Since moving to this area, my family and I have struggled to belong. We attend a local christian church and love it. We have friends within the church. My concern is the thousands of other people we must associate with outside of our church.

As I stated earlier, my neighborhood is predominately LDS. I didn't think much about the issue when purchasing the home. I thought, "We are all christians what does it matter what church we attend." I soon found that it mattered greatly. I am not one that runs from my problems. I always face a problem head on in an attempt to solve it. I know that we grow as people in the problem-solving process. I have tried ignoring the situation, confronting the issues, and also apologizing for offenses that my family may have caused to no avail. I feel lost, helpless, and hopeless. My children are ridiculed at school, on the bus, and in the neighborhood. They are excluded from activities due to our religious activities. When your children come to you crying because they have no friends due to them being NON-LDS. What is a parent to do????? Parents will not let my children into their homes due to our religious choice (keep in mind we are christians). I cannot afford the private christian schools or the montessori schools. I only have the choice of public schools. I would love to enroll my children in the christian schools here in town. My children are in middle school. Some of the private schools are only for elementary.

I am just seeking other options. I am sorry to those that took offense to my words and stated that I was running from my issues. I was and am still attempting to face the issue head on. I do not want my children to think that they are less of a christian because they are not LDS. I respect all religions and give all people the benefit of the doubt. I wish that others would do the same. Don't just judge my family based on what church we attend!!

As I stated above, I am just searching for options. I thought that maybe a charter school would hold more diversity than the ammon public schools. I don't dislike the LDS; I'm just wanting diversity. I know it is easier to gang up on someone when the numbers are extremely biased. I love the IF area and want to stay here. I know there are more people out there like us. I would like to be judged on my character than what church I attend. That is all I am saying.

If you have any suggestions or other options, I would love to hear them. Thank you so much.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:49 PM

210 posts, read 943,248 times
helpwanted4321, I'm sorry you feel that way. You should never feel like you have to apologize for your religion or that you are being excluded for your beliefs. I know you probably don't feel that way, but it is a hard situation nonetheless. My hope is that is you look closely the situation you'll find that this attitude only comes from a few people and isn't as widespread as it seems. Once they get to know you I'm sure that most of them don't really think less of you for your religion, though I don't doubt it feels that way.

Maybe this isn't what you want to hear, but here are some suggestions to improve your current situation. You may have already tried this but perhaps you could be a good example to your kids by reaching out to parents and neighbors in school and community groups and activities. They will learn that you are a good person and in turn these activities are places where your kids can make friends as well. Middle school is usually an emotional time for kids, and maybe they just need a little help. It is hard for me to put myself out there like this, but people usually respond well to friendly gestures. It is the holiday times, perhaps make your neighbors a plate of treats, good excuse to get out and meet them. Have your kids invite neighborhood kids to play after school, not everyone will accept, but some will and you'll get a chance to meet them and know what your kids are up to since they are at your house.

I don't know specifically about diversity of charter schools in Idaho Falls, my kids attend a great one in Pocatello. I have friends who's kids attend Taylors Crossing but I've never visited so I don't know the percentage of kids that are LDS. So I can't comment much on your original question. I'd call the schools and find out more about them and decide if you want ot sign up for the lottery and see if you can get in if the school looks like a good match to you.

I grew up in Blackfoot, and it was very much like you describe for the non-LDS people in the 80's, but it also became not much of an issue once we was in high school, so there is hope.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,496,873 times
Your situation sounds really dreadful. Come on down to Shelley, we haven't had any of the problems you describe.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:32 AM

Smile Try Some New Approaches; Be a Great Teacher

I like your comments Twin Prism. Couldn't give you rep, it's something with me and this system. Anyway, you addressed some key issues, IMHO.

helpwanted4321,

I've been thinking about your situation. Not sure if mom or the kids are having a more difficult time. Certainly, like many parents for various reasons, it sounds like this isn't what you hoped your children's years in middle school would be like.

I do have a couple of different types of suggestions. See if they fit for you, or how you could modify for your own talents/skills/interests.

First, you may have answered this, but I don't recall what counsel your pastor gave about the situation. If you haven't talked to him/her, it may be very worthwhile. Also, don't rule out talking to a professional therapist about how to help your kids adjust. You are training future decision makers, you may want some additional ideas of how to best work with what you have available and what you also don't have. You are teaching greater life lessons daily.

It is odd, often many LDS kids who maybe live in the "wrong neighborhood," or aren't as popular as some, feel equally as bad as your kids. Have you or your kids ever stopped to think of who those kids may be in your neighborhood, or who the families may be? Could they use a friend?

So here are a couple of starter ideas. I'm positive you'll have better ones than mine. I'm simply writing them to prime the pump so you start thinking about this differently and can arrive at good options for your family.

1. Doing exactly what I just wrote: Addressing this not so much as a problem vs. an opportunity. I liked what you wrote about Christians are Christians what difference does it make where they live. Maybe in your case it does make a difference as maybe you and your family are suppose to help teach others who wouldn't have the opportunity to learn otherwise, from you previous experiences.

What do you and your kids like to do together? Have you thought of starting a small community garden? I know it is winter, but researching what will grow best, where to put it etc. starts a string of activities that is positive. It may be that one person in your neighborhood, maybe a 70 year old, maybe a 30 year old, maybe a 13 year old will have experience in something you may want to plant. Utilize your expert neighbor to help. It may not take long to have others want to join in - fun and laughter are contagious.

No one said friends have to be the same age. Learning the skills and showing others how much you trust them so the same can be reciprocated to you and your children, must start with one person. The right person is waiting. Maybe it is a chronically ill person and maybe your children could help weekly, or daily etc. with certain tasks the person no longer can do. What better way to get to know someone than to offer to help them as they seem to not be doing as well as others.

I'm sure your family, or even your children, know of someone (or a family) who is hurting and needing, for some reason. How can your family help them? As a mom, is there any better opportunity to teach your children Christian values and the true meaning of love and Christmas than finding who needs help and being first in line to improve the lot of another?

Secondly, what do you share with other parents in your neighborhood? Do you need a stop sign, or more curbs? Do the kids have enough park area to play in etc.? As parents, you have to have similar goals and desires for your children.

I learned an interesting lesson last year. Often we as people tend to add up our differences, thus finding more reasons to keep us apart. I had the opportunity to think about some situations differently and realized that if, instead of adding how much was different between various people, I instead subtracted the differences and focused on the common interests/goals, I really got some things accomplished. I made some fabulous friends. Can what I learned work for you?

Do you need a neighborhood watch, a community garden where issues of coping with life get learned, snow removal etc.? If you approach your neighbors about a concern some of you have mentioned previously and you volunteer to take the lead in helping to find the answers for your area, how can people remain the same when you make their lives (and those of their children) better?

Maybe you are the mom who can take teens to a retirement or skilled care nursing facility. Maybe you have talents and abilities no other parent does. If just one child or other adult in your area wants to accompany you and your kids in helping others, don't you all come out winners?

Third - yah, another idea. I'd ask your kids if they can make a list of a few kids who are LDS and maybe not so popular. Then I'd problem solve with your kids, if it were me, of what they could do to make life happier for their peers that apparently belong to the "right religion," but somehow didn't make other social factors "cuts," to belong.

Have a dance, teach line dancing or something where every kid succeeds. You may be surprised how many LDS parents don't know how to get through to their kids, but because of your different exerperiences in a different Christian church, you do.

I'll look forward to your post of how your kids think they can help someone who is struggling right now. I sense if you look at this situation just a little differently - what can you teach others instead of why won't others let your kids do x,y. etc., you may see different results.

Look at the comments you've gotten on this thread so far. Probably at least 1-2 people who have posted may be LDS. Not everyone has a closed mind. You may have to drive a ways for your kids to be with thoe they can help. But trust me, there are plenty of LDS kids and families who could use a kind word, an invitation for a fun activity etc. They may simply not live next door to you.

I'd encourage you to use all the tools you've used to make it this far in your life. Someday, your children will wonder how you knew that others were hurting worse and you knew where to find them and how to help them.

I really feel strongly you can make this work for your family, your kids and yourself. Get some professional counseling if needed about very sensitive spots. Then try to reach out as the one to help others.

And make sure either individually, or collectively, your family records your experiences. Be it by journaling, making videos, dictating etc. writing/talking or doing something everyday to document your journey is very important. You don't know who will rely upon that information n the future as a source of strength to help them get through their present day difficulties then. Besides, the more fun and varied things your family does, the more the neighborhood will notice and some will want to join.

Good luck. I think you asked at the right time as others need you and your children in their lives.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-10-2008 at 05:47 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 14,722 times
I was looking at the career opportunity of a lifetime for my husband and your posting really gave me second thoughts.Here is my feedback as a Christian. The bible tells us that we will be persecuted for Christ's sake and that we are blessed when we are.That does not make it any less painful. I myself would consider homeschooling and hanging with strong Christians. Your kids can work on changing the world when their identities in Christ are solidified. I am not sure that any middleschooler has that kind of maturity. A fellow christian who cares deeply, barb

Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 AM

Smile Learning as Part of a Team; Maybe You Want to Send a DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Giordan View Post
I was looking at the career opportunity of a lifetime for my husband and your posting really gave me second thoughts.Here is my feedback as a Christian. The bible tells us that we will be persecuted for Christ's sake and that we are blessed when we are.That does not make it any less painful. I myself would consider homeschooling and hanging with strong Christians. Your kids can work on changing the world when their identities in Christ are solidified. I am not sure that any middleschooler has that kind of maturity. A fellow christian who cares deeply, barb
Barb,

I agree with you that no middleschooler can change the world. That is where I see parents, friends from church and other adults from church etc. helping.

I do think kids can learn coping skills and ALL kids need them. Some may feel ostracized due to religion, others because of their appearance, or lack of athletic ability, family "stigma," etc. IMHO, parents would be teaching skills to school-age children which will help them in adulthood.

I heard on the radio yesterday, (can't remember which channel), that too few children are learning coping skills and how to name, let alone deal with frustration. If kids could learn that, imagine what they could do in adulthood.

I'm glad you posted here. I hope helpwanted 4321 can connect with you. Perhaps the two of you can help support each other, not that we're unwilling to try. However, your comments may be more comfortable for helpwanted 4321 than those of others.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls