U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2009, 05:59 PM

4,098 posts, read 10,855,194 times

Advertisements

I met up with Norcalmom101 today and her kids. We drove up to Heise for pizza and then after swinging past my house we drove up towards Bone and even got to see the wind farms east of IF.

I was shocked to see how ominous those turbines are

The weather today was perfect for it as it was about 40 up that way. We didn't make it all the way to Bone as the traffic coming at us was peppering us with the sand/rocks that are used to on the grade in winter, we turned around right after the pavement ended.

It was a perfect solution for my procrastinating the proverbial weekend grocery shopping Good company, good eats, good weather = priceless
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 09:10 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,010,885 times
Thank you Cleosmom!! We had a great time. I had no idea that you could take East Lincoln or Sunnyside straight up into those mountains - the views were incredible, and on Sunnyside it looked like we must have been passing BLM land, we saw a couple of groups out shooting at impromptu ranges. This drive is a cure for anyone who thinks the IF area is flat!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 PM

5,550 posts, read 5,518,893 times
Lightbulb Hidden Treasures in Different Directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Thank you Cleosmom!! We had a great time. I had no idea that you could take East Lincoln or Sunnyside straight up into those mountains - the views were incredible, and on Sunnyside it looked like we must have been passing BLM land, we saw a couple of groups out shooting at impromptu ranges. This drive is a cure for anyone who thinks the IF area is flat!
You are absolutely correct, norcalmom101. Going up in the hills is amazing. Try Wolverine Canyon a little later on. The view will mostly be obstructed, but if one goes to the top of the hills, it is a awesome place to watch the 4th of July Fireworks!

Idaho Falls is interesting in that a major Idaho river runs through the middle of town, the west side can be flat. The westside looks flat if one doesn't get off of the roads and drive in Bonneville County where small hills start. I'm talking west of the shooting range and west of the soccer complex.

Then on the east, the mountains are there for enjoyment. They are great to visit during the summer heat, fun for camp outs and can be interesting to pick chokecheeries and other berries to make into syrup or jam.

One can find a lot of things in Idaho Falls not necessarily observable in a quick look.

Was it River City Weekly (River City Weekly - Idaho Falls' free, weekly independent feature newspaper) or the PR that gave the exact dimensions of those blades? Those windmills are HUGE!!!!!!!!

Glad all of you had such a nice time.

MSR

Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 AM

793 posts, read 1,284,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I met up with Norcalmom101 today and her kids. We drove up to Heise for pizza and then after swinging past my house we drove up towards Bone and even got to see the wind farms east of IF.

I was shocked to see how ominous those turbines are

The weather today was perfect for it as it was about 40 up that way. We didn't make it all the way to Bone as the traffic coming at us was peppering us with the sand/rocks that are used to on the grade in winter, we turned around right after the pavement ended.

It was a perfect solution for my procrastinating the proverbial weekend grocery shopping Good company, good eats, good weather = priceless
If you ever make it up into Wolverine Canyon be sure to check out 40 Horse Cave. It is a beautiful alpine area. The Blackfoot River Canyon is also a nice surprise.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:05 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,010,885 times
TohobitPeak, do you know where you can camp at Wolverine?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:36 PM

793 posts, read 1,284,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
TohobitPeak, do you know where you can camp at Wolverine?
40 Horse Cave has some areas you can camp at. I looked online to find a description of how to exactly get to 40 Horse because it has been a while since I have been there.

Rock Climbing Routes in Wolverine Canyon, Idaho Falls - Rockclimbing.com

From Firth, take Wolverine Road east until it turns to dirt, about 12-15 mi. Proceed up canyon about 2 mi. and pass through narrow section of road – crag is located up to the right above the road in a shaded draw. Parking is found just past the crag after crossing creek. You'll know you're there if you can see a big cave, (40 Horse Cave), up to the left from the road right after passing through the narrows.

This site has some info and a contact number to the Fish and Game for more information about camping, hiking.

Wolverine Canyon Route Subloop - Idaho Birding Trail

I know that there are not a lot of established campgrounds in Wolverine but there are areas that are open to camping. There is a girls camp the LDS Church uses which has camping and facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls