Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 06:41 AM

8 posts, read 27,841 times

Advertisements

Howdy everyone! My husband has just been offered a job in Idaho Falls. We are excited but a bit weary seeing as how we have never lived anywhere but Texas.

We are in our early thirties with two children whom we homeschool. We have strong conservative Christain beliefs. Our religious background is Baptist and Church of Christ. We are not mormon and honestly don't know much about what a mormon or lds is. I have heard that if you are not mormon in the Idaho Falls area you will stick out like a sore thumb and will not be welcomed. Is this true?

My husband has been trying to find a job up North because we want to get out of this hot state. We adore CO and crave some snow and an real white Christmas. In our area of TX there are no mountains, barely any trees and it rarely rains. We are looking for lots of natural beauty in the form of trees, mountains, rivers, wildlife and fall foilage. Does this describe the Idaho Falls area?

We grew up living "in the country" but have moved to a bigger city these past few years and love all the shopping and such it has to offer. Our current city has about 100,000 people in it. I am really confused when I read the info on IF online however. It says there are only half this many people yet when I look at all the shopping and big box stores available in IF, there are actually more than what is available in our current city. Why is this so? Here in Texas a town with a pop of 50,000 would have a walmart and just a handful of shopping centers and those would be small.

From what I understand the actual town of Idaho Falls is flat as in not up in the mountains. I wonder however, can you see the mountains from town at all? Does the town itself have many trees?

Our children have always dreamed of a place to live where they can go outside in the winter and sled and go ice skating......do people do this in IF? Does the snow last more than a few days when it does snow? How far would we have to go to take the kids skiing, snowboarding and such? Does a blanket of white cover the ground most of the time in the winter?

While we do want big town ammenties we also like those small town goodies like town parades, festivals, tree lighting ceremonies.........can you tell we are looking for a modern Mayberry in a winter wonderland?

Another issue is that we prefer to rent for at least a year in an area before buying. This way we can really get to know the area, neighborhoods and such first. Our preference is for renting a newer, nice large home like we have here in Texas. Are there any homes like this for rent in the Idaho Falls area? What is the renting climate like in general?

We currently prefer all natural, organic foods and get our milk, eggs and poultry from a local organic farm. Will we be able to find this type of stuff in IF?

Is the area very homeschool friendly? Many homeschoolers at all?

What is there for children to do in IF? Parks, children's museum, sports?

How safe is the town of IF?

Well I guess that is all the questions I can think of right now. Sorry for so many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Smile Search the Idaho Forum, Other Resrouces for Idaho Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMomOfFaith View Post
Howdy everyone! My husband has just been offered a job in Idaho Falls. We are excited but a bit weary seeing as how we have never lived anywhere but Texas.

We are in our early thirties with two children whom we homeschool. We have strong conservative Christain beliefs. Our religious background is Baptist and Church of Christ. We are not mormon and honestly don't know much about what a mormon or lds is. I have heard that if you are not mormon in the Idaho Falls area you will stick out like a sore thumb and will not be welcomed. Is this true?

My husband has been trying to find a job up North because we want to get out of this hot state. We adore CO and crave some snow and an real white Christmas. In our area of TX there are no mountains, barely any trees and it rarely rains. We are looking for lots of natural beauty in the form of trees, mountains, rivers, wildlife and fall foilage. Does this describe the Idaho Falls area?

We grew up living "in the country" but have moved to a bigger city these past few years and love all the shopping and such it has to offer. Our current city has about 100,000 people in it. I am really confused when I read the info on IF online however. It says there are only half this many people yet when I look at all the shopping and big box stores available in IF, there are actually more than what is available in our current city. Why is this so? Here in Texas a town with a pop of 50,000 would have a walmart and just a handful of shopping centers and those would be small.

From what I understand the actual town of Idaho Falls is flat as in not up in the mountains. I wonder however, can you see the mountains from town at all? Does the town itself have many trees?

Our children have always dreamed of a place to live where they can go outside in the winter and sled and go ice skating......do people do this in IF? Does the snow last more than a few days when it does snow? How far would we have to go to take the kids skiing, snowboarding and such? Does a blanket of white cover the ground most of the time in the winter?

While we do want big town ammenties we also like those small town goodies like town parades, festivals, tree lighting ceremonies.........can you tell we are looking for a modern Mayberry in a winter wonderland?

Another issue is that we prefer to rent for at least a year in an area before buying. This way we can really get to know the area, neighborhoods and such first. Our preference is for renting a newer, nice large home like we have here in Texas. Are there any homes like this for rent in the Idaho Falls area? What is the renting climate like in general?

We currently prefer all natural, organic foods and get our milk, eggs and poultry from a local organic farm. Will we be able to find this type of stuff in IF?

Is the area very homeschool friendly? Many homeschoolers at all?

What is there for children to do in IF? Parks, children's museum, sports?

How safe is the town of IF?

Well I guess that is all the questions I can think of right now. Sorry for so many.
Hi TxMomofFaith,

Congratulations on the new job! And welcome to this site. Search it and you'll learn a lot.

I'd encourage you to read the thread near the top of this page that talks about the top 10 things to do in Idaho Falls. You will get a feel for SOME of the activities available in the Idaho Falls area.

I'd also encourage you to search through the Idaho Forum for specific Idaho Falls questions. Many have been addressed.

Ask your current pastor for the name of WHICH church you should connect with in Idaho Falls. Both are available and there are various different Baptist churches. I'd strongly encourage you to do this, as you may find housing options, and/or additional information about home schooling in Idaho.

There is a lot of information about home schooling on this forum. Some of the various Christian denomoninations have private elementary schools/day care/kindergarden etc. too.

You are correct that Idaho Falls has many retail options not found in other areas of a similar population. However, it is important to undertand that Idaho Falls is the center of commercial activity, regional airport, medical care etc. for about 300K people (including western WY). I think you'll find both the small town feel while having the familiarty of some of the larger retailers etc. It is probably a more accurate way to think about the population if you look at Bonneville County, instead of just Idaho Falls. Ammon is literally across the street from Idaho Falls. Ammon, Iona, Ucon, let alone other communities like Rigby and Shelley all access retail and other in Idaho Falls.

Finally, I'd encourage you to utilize this website for more information and where to find out more. Idaho Falls Magazine at Idaho Falls Magazine has a website with a lot of information about the area, links to additional information, an active Facebook presence, and I find is one of the best resources to give those moving to the area.

If you don't have set ideas about Mormons (LDS) they you won't have to over-come stereotypes you may have had in your mind. Idaho Falls is about 50% LDS. Probably a little higher % in the county. Like you, the Mormons, Catholics, Baptists, Methodists etc. I know in the area want the oppportunity to earn a good living, raise their kids as they believe is appropriate, have access to culture and sporting events and have balance in their lives. Like anything else, there are some people who are extreme and more who aren't. You may find many share your views about homeschooling so this may be a very comfortable situation for you.

Please research this site (use the search feature in the right hand side and see what you can learn about Idaho Falls). Also, look at the pics posted. There is a lot of information. The City of Idaho Falls is "flat." Ammon is immediately east and the foothills around Idaho Falls are about 5 miles to the east and 10 miles to the south.

The Tetons, Sawtooths etc. (real Mtns.) are all within 2 hours.

I hope this info gets you started on your learning more about Idaho Falls.

MSR

Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 AM

8 posts, read 27,841 times
Thanks for the link to Idaho Falls Magazine. It is a great site and I have learned much just browsing through it.

We are really excited about the move and hope to come up soon to look at houses.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Cool Make Sure to Check the Links on the Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMomOfFaith View Post
Thanks for the link to Idaho Falls Magazine. It is a great site and I have learned much just browsing through it.

We are really excited about the move and hope to come up soon to look at houses.
Absolultely. Glad to hear that was helpful to you.

DO make sure when you visit that website you go to what they now call the "Market Place." It has everything from churches, schools, restaurants, media (might want to start to watch Idaho news for weather and other) etc. There are many business/services etc. that have links. That is how you can get some really, really specific information.

Good luck finding what is right for you and your family. I honestly think this is going to be a somewhat easy transition for you, unless you are wanting to rent an apartment and have pets. Otherwise, I think you already seem to know what it is important for your family and have a good feeling of what you're looking for in Idaho.

Do check the links about education. I know you home school and I can't remember the direct links for that; however, the school district and various other private schools may have links to other parents who home school.

Glad it is YOU packing TX Mom, not me. I like living new places, but am allergic to packing.

Just to get you ready for some of your new views, check this out:

TetonCam (it updates regularly). It's fun to watch at various times. It is on the Idaho side of the Tetons, in/near Driggs, ID.

Take care,

MSR

Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times
TXMomOfFaith, I've read several of your posts. Wow, what an adventure you're about to take! I live in Western Washington and we've been trying to get to Spokane for two years. Now, my husband has been offered a position in Boise(we did live in Rexburg, near IF, for two years going to school). Don't know how I feel about that, but anyway, that's why I've been lurking on the Idaho forum...
I just wanted to say something to your comment about Mormons because I am one--a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If you want to get some idea of their beliefs you can go to mormon.org to find out everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask.
Basically, I think as a conservative Christian you'll fit in pretty well with your neighbours. I think it's safe to say that about 70% of LDS people would consider themselves conservatives. We also consider ourselves as Christians even though much of the uninformed Christian world would disagree. We accept Christ as the Son of God, the savior and redeemer of the world(ie: CHRISTIAN!). You may be surprised to find that our basic beliefs have more in common then differences.
I think you'll find most LDS people to be honest, friendly, and hard working with God and Family as the most important parts of their lives. That said, people are people and you'll find dishonest, shady ones, too--just like anywhere in any society. You'll probably also encounter a lot of "Jack" Mormons. They're people who might might still consider themselves Mormon because their families have been members forever, but they're not practicing ones. Every religion has them, right?
I also think you shouldn't find any problems with finding people that homeschool or farm-fresh food. You're not far from farmland in Idaho Falls. If nothing else, you'll get some great potatoes!
Good luck and God bless!!! :~) D

Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 AM

Smile Good link to include Deena160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
TXMomOfFaith, I've read several of your posts. Wow, what an adventure you're about to take! I live in Western Washington and we've been trying to get to Spokane for two years. Now, my husband has been offered a position in Boise(we did live in Rexburg, near IF, for two years going to school). Don't know how I feel about that, but anyway, that's why I've been lurking on the Idaho forum...
I just wanted to say something to your comment about Mormons because I am one--a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If you want to get some idea of their beliefs you can go to mormon.org to find out everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask.
Basically, I think as a conservative Christian you'll fit in pretty well with your neighbours. I think it's safe to say that about 70% of LDS people would consider themselves conservatives. We also consider ourselves as Christians even though much of the uninformed Christian world would disagree. We accept Christ as the Son of God, the savior and redeemer of the world(ie: CHRISTIAN!). You may be surprised to find that our basic beliefs have more in common then differences.
I think you'll find most LDS people to be honest, friendly, and hard working with God and Family as the most important parts of their lives. That said, people are people and you'll find dishonest, shady ones, too--just like anywhere in any society. You'll probably also encounter a lot of "Jack" Mormons. They're people who might might still consider themselves Mormon because their families have been members forever, but they're not practicing ones. Every religion has them, right?
I also think you shouldn't find any problems with finding people that homeschool or farm-fresh food. You're not far from farmland in Idaho Falls. If nothing else, you'll get some great potatoes!
Good luck and God bless!!! :~) D
Deena160,

Thanks for adding to this discussion with giving a factual link for Tx Mom (and others) to check out for factual information, not rumors.

I think the one thing I'd add to your post is while absolutely there are a group of people throughout the world who are "Jack Mormons," (and I also agree every faith has a group who remain affiliated due to family or other reasons - sometimes political, as much I don't like to write that point), I also think there is an additional group of Mormons one will encounter in Idaho Falls and most other locations as well. Inactive is the word I believe that is correct.

I wanted to make that distinction as I believe this third group has many beliefs very similar to Tx Mom and others, have beliefs of LDS doctrine as well. However, for whatever reasons (sometimes marrying someone of a different Christian faith, for example), this group doesn't necessarily attend church every Sunday etc.

Especially those who have married someone of a different faith or have had circumstances in their lives that they feel most comfort just not being active in the LDS Church currently, will be accepting of families such as yours Tx Mom. Or, it could be a tragic divorce or other circumstances that leave some people needing to sort things out on their own for while.

Ultimately, I believe they want the same things in life it sounds like you want for yourself and family. Like people of various faiths, I believe this group also just wants to be understood why they can have such strong core beliefs while needing to resolve some internal conflicts by themselves.

What I think you'll find about the residents of Bonneville County in general, is regards of what faith someone is, if you're stranded on a county road, someone will pull over and ask if you need a ride somewhere. Otherws will give you tips of their favorite stores etc.

I always encourage those who are a little hesitant to live in an area where there are many Mormons, as well as others faiths, to take the first step. Meet your new neighbors, introduce your family and explain why you want to live in Idaho Falls too.

Also, while I think I've already written this, I think you'll find a group of parents in eastern ID who also homeschool. Those parents are many different faiths. They want certain educational goals for their children and are willing to invest their time and energy making it happen.

Unlike Deena160, I haven't read all of your various questions/posts, Tx Mom. I do think moving anywhere is anxiety provoking for anyone for different reasons. However, I honestly think you'll fit in. I'd encourage you to be thinking now what type of community service projects you may want to be involved with once you are a resident of Idaho.

Some parents volunteer time coaching hockey, skating or other sports. Some parents get involved with a unique playground the City of Idaho Falls has for disabled children, some are involved with a community gardening project etc. I do think Idaho Falls is a place where people who are the happiest are involved helping others in some capacity. Be it the new animal shelter, Pearl House for teens, volunteering to help keep the Greenbelt free of litter etc. are just some ways to give back.

I've always found when people are giving of themselves, they tend to find others with whom they feel very comfortable.

I hope you've had a chance to talk to your pastor to get a referral to which of the churches you originally listed would be the best fit for you in Idaho Falls. Given the two denominations you listed in the OP, you do have choices in Idaho Falls. Someone who currently knows your family and your needs may be able to best advise what congregation may be best for your family in Idaho Falls.

Hopefully, the answers you are receiving and finding on your own are helping you to feel a part of the community already. I think you will have a better sense of how tolerant and accepting the area is when you visit. Any ideas how soon that will be? I think you can ask dozens of questions here, but whatever is underneath so many of your questions you will have to experience first hand by being in the community. I don't know where your family is or your husband's. If you are leaving them for this job opportunity, that would be stressful for me.

Don't stress too much about how you'll fit in Idaho Falls, until you have a reason to stress. Those who answer questions in the Idaho Forum would advise you if they thought there might be a major problem. I'm guessing you trust your husband. Do you really think he would accept a job if he didn't think his family would be welcomed in the area?

I'd strongly encourage you to spend some time with your pastor and/or relatives - those who help you in difficult times now- to help you identify what some of your real concerns are, if you don't know. If you do know, the group of people you currently utilize as your support system and those you trust may be able to help you prepare for this move in a way we don't understand.

Remember, the Internet works both ways. Friends and family are only a log on a way, in someways. With Facebook, Skype and other newer programs, even pictures/videos of family activities can be shared. It's not quite the same as being in the same room, but it's so much more than generations of families have had when they've moved somewhere new to them.

MSR

Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

Don't stress too much about how you'll fit in Idaho Falls, until you have a reason to stress. Those who answer questions in the Idaho Forum would advise you if they thought there might be a major problem. I'm guessing you trust your husband. Do you really think he would accept a job if he didn't think his family would be welcomed in the area?

I'd strongly encourage you to spend some time with your pastor and/or relatives - those who help you in difficult times now- to help you identify what some of your real concerns are, if you don't know. If you do know, the group of people you currently utilize as your support system and those you trust may be able to help you prepare for this move in a way we don't understand.

Remember, the Internet works both ways. Friends and family are only a log on a way, in someways. With Facebook, Skype and other newer programs, even pictures/videos of family activities can be shared. It's not quite the same as being in the same room, but it's so much more than generations of families have had when they've moved somewhere new to them.

MSR
Thanks, MSR! These are very good points and you've inadvertently helped me, too. After over two years of thinking we were going to go to Spokane, we've been presented with a chance to go to Boise twice as far away from most of my family that's in the Seattle area. It's a good opportunity for my husband but I don't know about my kids(especially since I have two with special needs). I know we need to weigh all the pros and cons with friends, family, and church leaders if necessary. I'll be on my knees a lot in prayer and have told my husband he'd better be getting on his, too! It is very scary.
And, yes, it's very different now to live far away from family because of the internet. We lived in Australia for 5 years about 20 years ago. It was very difficult as a young wife and mother to be so far away from my family and friends. Thank goodness my husband's family was there and for the church, but still it was awful for me at times. It was so expensive to call and letters seemed to take forever. Now, I could talk to my family whenever I want on my cell phone, see them on Skype, instantly send letters...etc! It's easy to take these things for granted now, but we are so blessed!!! :~) D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls