U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:53 AM

16 posts, read 44,516 times

Advertisements

there sure are some very nice homes in this area against the hills

after reading some of the posts on the utah board i have some concerns ,, one of the main reasons we are considering a move to if / pocatello area is the excellent schools and nice family atomosphere to raise our kids
if our kids were to go to public school ,, will they have a problem being non lds ? our kids have mormon friends here in cail and i have a great respect for the religon ,but i would hate to think my kids might be "shuned" for being non lds? they are in grade school ,, i guess i can see being the outsider in some small town rigby etc ,, anyone have experience with ammon elementary / sandcreek / hillcrest hs,,or that area in general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 07:38 PM

4,659 posts, read 15,780,465 times
Here's my take on things, no matter the religion, color or race, kids can just be plain mean sometimes. That's how some kids are and I feel it's all part of growing pains.

When I grew up you were ridiculed if you wore the wrong brand of jeans or drove the wrong make of car

Yes, out here on the east side of IF there are some nice, overpriced homes. Wouldn't catch me living up on the hill, driving on the ice/snow in town is entertaining enough Don't add hills and four way stops that no one seems to know how to use here into the mix.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 24,639 times
Default We are non LDS

in the Blackfoot area (between Poky and IF). My husband was raised LDS but is no longer a member. He was worried about living in such a LDS stronghold. He knows from experience that they can be "exclusive". Our experience has been that it's fine. The kids don't treat my child any different (he is 8). However, LDS do tend to socialize together thru many church related activities, so you may feel left out that way. My husband's biggest problem is that he can't find anyone to drink a beer with (besides me!).

Old 07-30-2006, 05:36 PM

106 posts, read 531,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregclauss

after reading some of the posts on the utah board i have some concerns ,, one of the main reasons we are considering a move to if / pocatello area is the excellent schools and nice family atomosphere to raise our kids
if our kids were to go to public school ,, will they have a problem being non lds ? our kids have mormon friends here in cail and i have a great respect for the religon ,but i would hate to think my kids might be "shuned" for being non lds? they are in grade school ,, i guess i can see being the outsider in some small town rigby etc ,, anyone have experience with ammon elementary / sandcreek / hillcrest hs,,or that area in general
If you are in Idaho Falls or Pocatello, don't worry about the LDS thing. There's enough outsiders to trump it...

Old 08-01-2006, 08:28 AM

246 posts, read 221,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregclauss

The area up on the foothills is considered upscale. In my opinion, any bias would be more based on class than religion. So that means if you can afford to live there you'll probably fit in fine. Historically it's been the enclave of LDS doctors, lawyers, etc., but with the influx of out of state money today you'd probably find more of a cultural mix.

That area of town has the best schools. Ammon Elem. is an old school, but charming (I went there myself. Hope they've updated the cafeteria since then). Hillcrest is by all measures the best HS in the area. Great programs & facilities.

Magpies

Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 15,881 times
Sunnyside El. is great. Another good private El. school is Snake River M.S. I just moved from the Redlands, CA area and found a home builder that does a great job. They do a lot of work in Ammon. They are working on a "master planned community" which means there will be curbs and gutters so the streets don't wash out and your yard doesn't flood like other neighborhoods in Ammon. You can even spend a little more and have a custom home built out in black hawk for 400k. If mormons are an issue STAY AWAY FROM REXBURG at all costs!!!! You should be fine anywhere else.
http://highpointecompanies.net (broken link)

Old 08-21-2006, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 17,342 times
Default High Pointe Builder

What do you know about these guys as a builder? Did you get your home through them? We've heard somethings about them round about, but you never know until you get it first hand. We are looking for a new home in the area, but we aren't really excited about the building process again.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 15,881 times
HighPointe Homes is one of the less known builders but I liked their work. Have them walk you through some of their houses but don't be afraid of shopping around.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 17,342 times
Default High Pointe Homes Idaho Falls

We won't go with them. We looked into it their process and aren't pleased with their reputation. We couldn't find anyone with a positive remark other than themselves. Their finishing touches just didn't do it for us, and it looks like it takes them forever to finish a house. We don't have time to wait 6+ months. Maybe we'll reconsider if someone in their new development gives a positive feedback, and they their processes in order. The Villa looks like a nice place. Too bad other builders aren't allowed in there.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:54 AM

4,659 posts, read 15,780,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IF05 View Post
We won't go with them. We looked into it their process and aren't pleased with their reputation. We couldn't find anyone with a positive remark other than themselves. Their finishing touches just didn't do it for us, and it looks like it takes them forever to finish a house. We don't have time to wait 6+ months. Maybe we'll reconsider if someone in their new development gives a positive feedback, and they their processes in order. The Villa looks like a nice place. Too bad other builders aren't allowed in there.
Both Rockwell and Utterbeck build some nice homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or