Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,293 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to pocatello and wanted some information about the town. I enjoy hunting and fishing, and can anyone tell me if there is public hunting land or fly fishing rivers near by? Do you have to be part of a faith based group to fit in socially? Any other pertinent information about pocatello would be great.

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,077 times
Hey huntergunny,

Pocatello (we call it "Pokey") sounds like a perfect fit for you. Nearby public hunting lands? Yeah! Nearby fly fishing streams? Yeah!

Outdoor Life Magazine recently listed the Top 200 Outdoor Towns in the United States. Several of the Top 200 Towns selected are in Idaho, including 3 of the top 5! They are Lewiston at #1, Idaho Falls at #2, and Pocatello at #5. Three of the top five out of 200!

Faith issues? No!

To find out more, go to: Southeast Idaho Fish & Game

Then, come have a look-see for yourself (just don't tell anyone else!).

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 10-30-2014, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,343 times
Hola. I've got to be in Pocatello next week - was going to stay a couple days to fly fish. Any specific recs on where to go this time of year? Tx

Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,077 times
I'm in North Idaho. Someone in the Southeast might be able to help much better than me. Or, check with the guys at South East Idaho Fly Fishers to find out about your best bets for when you plan on visiting the area. They are at 257 N. Main Street in Pocatello. Phone them at (208) 232-4776 or check them out on the Web. Check with them for weather conditions and temps, too.

Have a great trip and tight lines....

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 10-31-2014, 01:19 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,243,908 times
I just moved to Chubbuck, the northern suburb of Pocatello and I love it. I don't fly fish, but I camp and that, along with the taxes and general cost of living, was a major reason I moved here. I'm approximately 2.5 hours from West Yellowstone and Jackson WY, about 4 hours from Stanley Lake ID and the Sawtooth Mountains, about 5 from Cody WY and 6 from Red Lodge, and even though I don't fish, I can tell you I see hundreds of people standing in the rivers I pass with rods, so I'm assuming fishing is good.

As for public lands. ID is like many of the western states, there are millions of acres of National Forests and Bureau of Land Management managed lands where hunting and fishing are allowed per regulations set up by the state of ID. In fact, ID is number 4 for public lands, behind AK, NV and UT, and has approximately 12 million BLM acres and 21 million forest service acres to play, hunt and fish on.

I left out the NPS since they do not allow hunting; however, I do believe they allow fishing in some parks. (Again, not a fisherman so not sure on that.)

Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
Pocatellian here born and raised. Moved a 8years or so to live closer to my grown kids and grandbabies.
My whole family are hunters. Some are fisherman. I never could sit still long enough for the fishing side of things. My youngest (adult) son is still in Poky, an avid hunter, fisherman, coach and teacher. This year they started allowing for 10 year old hunters that passed the hunter- safety class to hunt. My grandson, my son's boy, is 10 and got his deer. Was of course taught and accompanied by his Dad.

We have a cabin outside of Lava. Go sit on the deck in the early morning and watch as the deer pass through. Every hunting season a bunch of us go to the cabin and head out from there to go hunt. I stay behind. Camp cook and love it. Brought out 7 deer this year amongst our group.

Poky is in a valley surrounded by mountain on three sides. Fourth side -west- leads out to the more flat lands.
Although I grew up in Poky, I would look to surrounding cities (smaller towns)to the east to live. From 10 to 40 miles from the shopping in Poky but cleaner more tranquil mountainous living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho