U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:28 AM

477 posts, read 1,596,034 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am interested in Idaho and have enjoyed reading about all the great info on this forum about Idaho. I am in New Mexico but seriously considering Idaho. I love the mild climate here but the crime is getting bad in the Albuquerque area and I'd like a safer place. Idaho has a thumbs up from me but one of my friends from northern Idaho said winter was really bleak, not so much in snow as it is cloudy a lot. She said it was mostly cloudy in the winter but mostly sunny in the summer. It this true or only in certain parts? Is Sun Valley a nice place to live? Pros, cons. Where would the most mildest city or town be in Idaho with some mountains, not deserty and has more sunshine? I am just tired of the desert and would love to be near or in some mountains but not the harsh weather often associated with it. Not really concerned about jobs as I do home computing anyway and anywhere as long as I have the internet so jobs aren't an issue. Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 AM

4,094 posts, read 10,731,129 times
Sun Valley is a neat place, also considered "East Hollywood" and is quite expensive. Several movie stars and the like live in that area. I can't speak for the weather in Northern Idaho as I'm in SE Idaho.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:42 AM

Thanks cleosmom! I think Sun Valley is too costly for me but sounds like a great place. I guess I can vacation there and dream!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 AM

10 posts, read 28,922 times
Default Sunshine/Inversions

The area around Boise is probably your best bet. Emmett is a pretty smaller town located close to Boise, some of the other burbs are getting more crowded. The Boise area is the milder climate compared to the rest of the state where you will get more snow and colder whether. However, the Boise area is prone to inversions where you won't see the sun for days at a time. The difficult months to get through are January, and then parts of February and things start getting warmer, sunnier after that. South of Boise tends to be more desert like, and coming from Mexico you may not mind areas like Twin Falls. However, more snow in the winter than Boise gets. City Data usually has snowfall charts that you can compare for the different cities, as well as days of sunshine. Go to the internet and type in City Data Twin Falls, etc, and you can see if there is a comparison you can look at between the different cities.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:44 AM

Thank you SO much ShockJulie! That info is not only great but awesome! Thanks again!

Old 08-09-2006, 07:50 PM

279 posts, read 777,391 times
Again Boise is the mildest in the state but from what you said you did not like about NM it would be the same deal there for you. Out side of the Boise area well it is colder and snowier. If you do not have to work or travel and can wait out a spell then I would look north a bit more like Idaho City, McCall even Stanley closer to what I think you’re looking for. I will agree about not seeing the sun for long time periods in Boise dark gray and bad air. Summer hot and I mean hot many days close to or over 100 if you do not like sage brush or scrub brush as that is the main vegetation in the south of Idaho. Well tell you get all the way east but hey that’s almost Wyoming the N.M. of the north. Good luck and for me a visit is great but I would not live there at all .I am sure just as in Idaho there are areas in you state that are better then others.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM

Thank you Huntman58. I will go for a visit when I can and see the areas you are talking about. I do love mountains and the pictures of Northern Idaho up in the mountains look beautiful. Thanks again for your advice too.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 AM

149 posts, read 745,310 times
You might also check around Pocatello. The winters will be harsher in Pocatello than in Boise, but you'll get a much better view of mountains in Pocatello. Also, cost of housing will be cheaper, and you won't have to deal with the inversion come wintertime. Another bonus -- summers are cooler in Pocatello than Boise.

I lived in Pocatello around 20 years ago -- but I remember back then there was an FMC plant and Simplot plant on the west side of town that belched out an awful stench. If those plants are still there, then you might want to just keep them in mind if you decide to go to Pocatello, and look for houses on the opposite end of town...

Idaho City, McCall, and Stanley are all in beautiful areas of the state. They're all more "touristy" though, so it might be more difficult to go shopping, go to the airport, etc. Just something else to keep in mind.

Northern Idaho is also really nice. Check out Couer d'Alene and Lewiston. There are a lot more trees up there than you'll find in southern Idaho.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:01 AM

853 posts, read 688,097 times
Default Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace

Idaho City, McCall, and Stanley are all in beautiful areas of the state. They're all more "touristy" though, so it might be more difficult to go shopping, go to the airport, etc. Just something else to keep in mind.

Northern Idaho is also really nice. Check out Couer d'Alene and Lewiston. There are a lot more trees up there than you'll find in southern Idaho.
We live in Coeur d'Alene and while we have only lived in Idaho for two years, we've done some traveling throughout the state. Northern Idaho (aka the Panhandle) is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful - towering fir trees, lakes, mountains, etc. In the two years that we've lived here the winters have been very mild with very little snow. The fall is rainy and so is the spring, but the summers are outstanding! One sunny day after the next with temps getting as warm as 100 (short lived) but mainly in the 80s and 90s with cool nights - typically in the 50s and 60s with very low humidity.
I would suggest checking out Coeur d'Alene (surrounding area including Hayden, Hayden Lake) and Sandpoint (surrounding area including Sagle, Dover, Hope, Clark Fork). McCall is a lovely town that has been discovered by Hollywood types, which has really driven home prices up significantly, although it is still possible to find property and/or homes that aren't astronomically priced. Just north of McCall is New Meadows and south of McCall is Donnelly and Cascade where prices may be more affordable. Keep in mind that Lewiston has a large paper mill (Potlatch - I think) that definitely belches out an unpleasant odor. Admittedly, it's not as bad as some paper mills, but it is a sour smell. We were only in Idaho City briefly, so I really can't say much except that we weren't as impressed with it as we were with other places. We went through Stanley last May and both my husband & I really liked it.
I hope this information is of help to you!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 PM

29,449 posts, read 18,504,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM
Hi. I am interested in Idaho and have enjoyed reading about all the great info on this forum about Idaho. I am in New Mexico but seriously considering Idaho. I love the mild climate here but the crime is getting bad in the Albuquerque area and I'd like a safer place. !

Seeing your post I couldn't resist asking. The ABQ area was one I was considering along with Idaho. I haven't been to ABQ for over 20 years. Has the crime situation really becaome that bad? Is it limited to certain areas or pretty much allover? Violent crime? Drugs? Break ins?

One of the things I value with these forums is the chance to learn things the Chamber of Commerce won't tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho