Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,566 times

Advertisements

I live in the area and wonder about all of this. We currently have Dish internet and its very intermittent, not to mention expensive. We pay about $90 a month for horrible service. I've heard Comcast is coming to the area, Does anyone know anything new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
I think I may have alluded to this before: Creating the World's Largest Ever Satellite Constellation. The project seems to be moving forward, and they have now secured a large amount of funding. IF successful (still a big if) this would fundamentally change satellite Internet and be a boon for us rural broadband users in north Idaho.

The satellites used for satellite Internet today are Geostationary satellites that are about 23,000 miles away from the earth over the equator. The latency (i.e. ping) issues that Sage complains about are a direct function of the distance from the Earth together with the physics of radio transmission speeds. These new satellites will be in a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) constellation, which would put them on the order of hundreds of miles away from the earth, dramatically reducing transmission times between the satellites and the earth.

Beyond improved latency, I expect faster performance and better price points compared to the traditional satellite internet providers. The total aggregate capacity of this network would be much larger than any of the satellites in use for broadband today.

My understanding is these guys need to get at least some capability up in the sky by the 2018/2019 time frame in order to maintain the frequency spectrum allocation they have been granted by the World Radiocommunications Conference.

Dave

Last edited by Cnynrat; 01-19-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 08:50 AM

Some related news about possible future low earth orbit satellite services: Google and SpaceX to Team on Global Internet

The background here is very interesting. A company called WorldVu has the spectrum rights to operate a low earth orbit satellite constellation. It isn't clear that there is any spectrum for Google/SpaceX to operate in, which may mean that some of these initiatives need to come together.

In any event, it's interesting to watch some of the worlds most prominent billionaires making these pronouncements.

Dave

Old 01-20-2015, 11:01 AM

This Wired article talks about the spectrum rights issue facing the Google/SpaceX initiative, and confirms my understanding that Greg Wyler/WorldVu own the sole spectrum rights for a low earth orbit constellation.

Pay attention to Facebook, they are also looking at getting into this game. Apparently every tech billionaire wants their own satellite network.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 PM

551 posts, read 803,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuJanu View Post
I live in the area and wonder about all of this. We currently have Dish internet and its very intermittent, not to mention expensive. We pay about $90 a month for horrible service. I've heard Comcast is coming to the area, Does anyone know anything new?
I use Verizon 4G LTE in Spirit Lake. I've been using them for about a month now and it's much faster than the DSL service I had in So Cal. Here is a link to find out the coverage in your area:

America's Largest 4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

Old 01-21-2015, 10:46 AM

Here's the link to the Wired article mentioned above: SpaceX Lands $1B From Google

Dave

Old 01-21-2015, 02:45 PM

227 posts, read 382,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Here's the link to the Wired article mentioned above: SpaceX Lands $1B From Google

Dave
Hopefully, SpaceX can actually accomplish this, and without too many crashes.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:53 PM

332 posts, read 483,014 times
No offense to Google and Verizon, but I much prefer supporting a local business like E.L. than those impersonal companies. I have had the best customer service from them, which I NEVER have with Verizon, and will mourn the day they are pushed out of the market.

Oh, and my latency is typically between 70 and 100 ms to Spokane.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:00 AM

I'd happily support a local business that offered broadband service to my home in Sagle. Unfortunately, none do.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:37 PM

332 posts, read 483,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I'd happily support a local business that offered broadband service to my home in Sagle. Unfortunately, none do.
I understand completely. I guess my point is that given a choice, I'll go with the little guy every time, assuming the service is good and the quality is there. If there is no choice, then you have no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho