Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 AM

30 posts, read 93,601 times

Advertisements

So I'm starting to look into PhDs and I have been looking into UI in Moscow. Neither me nor my boyfriend have ever been to Idaho. He has been to Jackson Hole and Seattle but never in between. I have never been West of OK.

I don't readily have a grand to hop on a plane and go visit so I'm wondering if the town is "my type". We both love canoeing/kayaking, hiking, fishing...pretty much anything outdoors. However, I am TERRIFIED of spiders. In AR we have brown recluses and black widows everywhere and I can't stand it. And I'm originally from Ohio so I'm fine with blizzards and super cold winters. I would much rather have really cold winters than really hot summers. Does it sound like I would 'fit in' up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I don't think you will mind it, in fact you could love it. Winters can be long and cloudy in Moscow, and snowy too, but generally not as cold as the upper midwest, nor comparable Rocky Mt. Cities, like Bozeman or Missoula. Idaho is an outdoor person's paradise, and Moscow/ Pullman are nice college towns. Really, the immediate Palouse area reminds me a bit of the midwest, but with some big wilderness nearby. World class wilderness and rivers. The Eagle Cap in NE Oregon and Hells Canyon are an hour to the south, the Cabinets and Selkirks and breathtaking lakes in the panhandle just to the north, the Frank Church and Bitterroot Country to the east. All magnificent places.

Generally, the bug diversity of the Pacific Northwest would be no comparison to Arkansas or the midwest, so don't sweat that. Summers would be a piece of cake, mid 80s most days with modest to low humidity. Biggest question would be employment for your boyfriend. Jobs are hard to come by in the PNW these days. One nice or not so nice thing about that area is that you have two college towns ten miles away, so double to opportunities, but also doubled competition. Many people like Moscow. The U of I campus is lovely, and the education is excellent in many fields, but the area is relatively isolated. No big cities within two to three hours in any direction. As for me, that would be fine, but it depends on the person. So, I give it a thumbs up, but it will be interesting to see what others say.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
No big cities within two to three hours in any direction.
Spokane is two hours away, Seattle is a little over five, and Portland is a little over six.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Spokane is two hours away, Seattle is a little over five, and Portland is a little over six.
And Boise is around 6 hours, some people can do it in 5, depending on how fast you drive and weather conditions.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 AM

17 posts, read 51,960 times
Seattle is NOT 5 hours away, more like 4. Bellevue is only 250 miles away from Moscow. Boise is more like 5-6 hours away, and only because of the death trap highway aka highway 95

Spokane's airport is less than 1.5 hours from Moscow

Old 07-20-2010, 03:08 PM

47 posts, read 289,359 times
Spokane's airport is less than 1.5 hours from Moscow[/quote]

Correct about hour and half to Spokane.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgmilan View Post
Seattle is NOT 5 hours away, more like 4. Bellevue is only 250 miles away from Moscow.
This is what I was going by (290 miles to Bellevue):
Moscow, ID to Bellevue, WA - Google Maps

When I lived in Spokane, it took around four hours to get to Seattle, and 1.5 to get to Moscow. The Google map shows 5 hours 12 minutes to get to Bellevue via WA-26 and I-90. Is there a faster way I'm not seeing?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 PM

100 posts, read 233,534 times
Northern Idaho is beautiful! Rich rolling farmground and lots of the great outdoors. Great academic university that has older traditional buildings, strong sense of inclusion, and community. Go Vandals! The weather can get cold and you should expect a longer winter season, but it sounds like you would fit right in! Entertainment is limited outside of campus unless you ae willing to put in some drive time. Jobs are scarce outside of the university, however there is a mutual respect and the community and college seem to embrace each other. You will find U of I grads and alumnus peppered throughout all industries throughout the state. Best wishes!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:34 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,616 times
Depending on the program, UI also offers graduate studies via distance learning in Idaho Falls.

http://www.uidaho.edu/idahofalls

BTW, salukigirl....SIU grad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho