Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,389,501 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you, but I'm totally ticked at Horizon for deciding to pull out of Idaho Falls. The regional airline connected the two largest airports in Idaho directly. Additionally, with so many government contracts at INL and what will surely be more reg visits etc. when Areva is built, I can't understand an airline totally discontinuing service when a multi-billion dollar plant is going to be built.

There are other regional carriers, but the company doing the survey isn't looking at the right ones. Their best option currently (unless they read MY comments), was Gray Lakes, I believe it's called. A commuter airline for Northwest Air. But, only 18 or maybe 30 seats/plane.

I completed the online survery. Wondered if anyone else did. Some of the options this consulting firm is looking at are frightening to me.

This is a two sided issue: those in the east wishing to travel to the west of the state and those in the west wanting to travel east. I read that Frontier just pulled out of Boise. Did that have anything to do with it?

Horizon cites the lower boarding numbers, but does no adjustment for the economic downturn being slower to hit Idaho Falls than most areas in the U.S. Also, the commuter bus service started running the Boise route this past year.

What do you think about this rapidly coming change? Do you think it's important to have direct daily service between the two sides of the state? One offer on the table is having SkyWest take over the route. It's a reasonable option, but no competition will let SkyWest raise prices on fares.

I'm looking forward to reading YOUR ideas/thoughts.

Thanks,

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 AM

13,825 posts, read 29,822,691 times
*It's probably Great Lakes Airlines. Northwest is now Delta.

Doesn't Pocatello have air service? I know they have some Delta flights to/from SLC.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,930,455 times
Short Flights for the airline don't make much money.

And with the cost of the flights $300/RT, Most people are going to look at that and say im driving. I would think people going to the Lab would be coming long distance, mostly from the East/South East. and can connect thru Denver/SLC.
Areva where they are located most can easly tranist Dever/SLC.

Last edited by flyonpa; 08-11-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,218,256 times
flyonpa you have a valid point and there's clearly no law that states and airport must provide air service to your preferred destination, however they are already raking us over the coals for having to fly into SLC to go basically anywhere outside of a landing strip in a crop duster's field.

True, Boise is within driving distance with the prime weather. Winter? Ha! That can be variant within the first 200 miles of the trip.

This whole thing has me slightly bent out of shape because before if time was an issue I could easily board in IF land in BOI and spend quality time with family rather than fighting road construction, weather issues and road rage.

Truth be told and I despise bringing politics into this, but we'll never be able to increase revenue out of IDA by suggesting that folks pay a few hundred dollars extra to fly out of here rather than SLC because the gov't won't waste time and have their folks drive to SLC and fly out because of time. They are willing to pay the extra money and so we're stuck twice. Typically if slight passengers increase, fares might decrease, but not when they have solid contracts they can rely on

Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,622,698 times
I've used the IF-Boise Horizon flight many times. Will miss it. But if the passenger count isn't there, I don't blame 'em. A total business decision.

For my most frequent flights, driving and/or flying to SLC, then flying to Seattle will add atleast three hours, depending on the former layover at BOI.

What happened to the the NW non-stop from IF to Minneapolis? I know there were some business interests who started it, but evidently it wasn't viable longterm. Did Delta kill it?

I have my own personal needs, but I also understand the airlines must operate to make money, not to satisfy specific communities. So I am split on this one. Airlines must survive, but passengers must be served. The confluence of these two interests are becoming more and more disparate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho