Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:05 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,004 times

Advertisements

Boise State has laid out an excellent plan to build a national powerhouse. They have hired solid coaches, great assistants, have recruited wisely based on talent and ability to adapt, have built solid facilities, and have profited from their espn exposure.

This is a program that knows what it wants and also knows what they may not be able to achieve in deveoping false illusions and recruiting recklessly and unwisely.

Who knows if their chosen path in the MWC is the wise choice? The Mwc gaining Boise State, Fresno State , and Neveda seems a positive---but losing BYU and Utah more than offsets this gain.

Losing the constant espn exposure after it enters the Mwc wont help----sure they be on versus a lot------but yes they will be on versus. A better decision may have been to follow Byu and have gone independent. Boise could have developed a better national schedule and have aligned with espn and received similar or close to BYU money for their coverage.

Going to the Mwc with Fresno and Neveda and losing Byu and Utah makes the Mwc seem like a glorified WAC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,420 times
I'm a big fan of the Broncos and hope their success continues, but I'm skeptical because I think it's tied too closely to their HC, who is surely an extraordinarily competent coach and offensive strategists if not downright brilliant. But Coach is a relatively young man (mid forties I think), and he's going to get opportunites in really big programs (and perhaps also the pros) with really big-time compensation packages that will be too attractive to ignore. I know the coach has already had chances to leave Boise, but it's only a matter of time before he's on the receiving-end of a godfather type proposition.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm a big fan of the Broncos and hope their success continues, but I'm skeptical because I think it's tied too closely to their HC, who is surely an extraordinarily competent coach and offensive strategists if not downright brilliant. But Coach is a relatively young man (mid forties I think), and he's going to get opportunites in really big programs (and perhaps also the pros) with really big-time compensation packages that will be too attractive to ignore. I know the coach has already had chances to leave Boise, but it's only a matter of time before he's on the receiving-end of a godfather type proposition.
You haven't been following them long, then.

First of all, he's a West coast guy by and large. Don't see him going outside of the west. Second, he's a small exposure, small town, family type guy. Doesn't care about being in the spotlight, about hype, and the pressure of some of these schools and markets. Third, his biggest priority when getting paid is making sure his assistants get increases in pay.

Since 2006 he's turned down jobs - or has been linked to - UCLA, Washington, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Texas AM, Michigan, and Virginia.

Some big programs right there.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:16 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
You haven't been following them long, then.

First of all, he's a West coast guy by and large. Don't see him going outside of the west. Second, he's a small exposure, small town, family type guy. Doesn't care about being in the spotlight, about hype, and the pressure of some of these schools and markets. Third, his biggest priority when getting paid is making sure his assistants get increases in pay.

Since 2006 he's turned down jobs - or has been linked to - UCLA, Washington, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Texas AM, Michigan, and Virginia.

Some big programs right there.
Large collegiate programs and the NFL are full of HCs who are "small town, family type guys" who came from smaller college programs. It's no knock on BSU, but it's just that he's gone about as far as he can go there career-wise (and probably also financially), and I doubt he got where he's at without being an ambitous man ? He's been the HC at Boise 'bout 4 or 5 years right ? Few more years in Boise maybe and he might get a offer he can't refuse, plus the timing will be right for him personally. It's just human nature.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:46 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,467,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Large collegiate programs and the NFL are full of HCs who are "small town, family type guys" who came from smaller college programs. It's no knock on BSU, but it's just that he's gone about as far as he can go there career-wise (and probably also financially), and I doubt he got where he's at without being an ambitous man ? He's been the HC at Boise 'bout 4 or 5 years right ? Few more years in Boise maybe and he might get a offer he can't refuse, plus the timing will be right for him personally. It's just human nature.
Especially if a PAC 10 school in place like Tucson or Eugune offers a boatload of money so that Coach Pete is the star attraction in a town with no other dominant sports (or least until basketball starts). At some point the fact that BSU does not have a long history of boosters with deep pockets is going to hurt them. Not much that BSU could do if Phil Knight and the Nike money truck back up to Coach Pete's doorstep and lead him to Eugene.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM

Once again, none of y'all have been following him long. Heard what Dirk Koetter said to him? Heard what Dan Hawkins said to him?

I'm certainly not under the illusion he'll be here forever, but there are few "right" places for him and few situations that, given all of the available evidence, he'll go.

Oregon - most people think this is the #1 destination. Oregon State - probably. He's already turned down UCLA and Washington. Stanford? I think so. Anywhere else? I really don't think so. There's no way he goes to Arizona or Arizona State.

I'm not sure ambition drives him the same way it drives other coaches. You'd have to read the interviews with him to glean this. They can be found at Bronco Country.

I'm just going to say, if a guy turns down Virginia, UCLA, Washington, Tennessee, Michigan, and Mississippi State, and reportedly Nebraska (though I really doubt this one), its going to take a lot of unique circumstances to get him to leave. Boise State will have to essentially stop growing as a program.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:38 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,657,780 times
Recruiting players from other states is the key. Idaho kids, used to cold weather...no that it isn't it. If BSU only recruited Idaho players they would not be where they are today. More likely, it is a chance for good players to go to a place that fits their skills. In other words, BSU is a smaller, faster, more efficient team. This may attract many recruits who feel they have a better chance to play. And, I know this is somewhat of a sore spot, but frankly, over the years BSU plays weaker opponets and leads to more wins. This can be attractive to a recruit as well. Don't get me wrong, BSU has done a great job, but what I have outlined above helps. While BSU scheduled Virginia Tech this season, even that was based on success from a few years back. VT isn't that good this year. I would like to see BSU schedule a couple more big-name opponets just to prove a few things.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:40 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,883,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I would like to see BSU schedule a couple more big-name opponets just to prove a few things.
You can't fault them for that though. VT was supposed to be good. They were as high as number six in one poll. But it would be nice to play a couple high ranked teams a year. But it is hard to guess who will be good and who is going to have an off-season two years in advance.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:30 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,389 times
2 words: Pokey Allen.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
2 words: Pokey Allen.
Lyle Smith!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho