Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:11 AM

777 posts, read 3,186,965 times

Advertisements

Well, my wife and I are planning our trip at the end of July to check out these areas:

1. Coeur d' Alene
2. Sandpoint
3. Bonners Ferry
4. Athol
5. Oldtown
6. Priest River
7. Sagle
8. Post Falls
9. Rathdrum
10. Cocolalla

I have some driving questions though. When we go on Yahoo or Google maps, it seems like they have us going the long way around, and staying on major interstates, as opposed to taking a possible shorter route. I would like a perspective of what some of the highways are like, and try to plan a nice scenic, yet not overly long drive.

To elaborate a little more, we will be leaving the Northern CA area, from my wifes parents house in Placerville, CA, which is approx. 50 miles east of Sacremento. To me it seems better to take the I80 through Reno NV, then catch the 95 up through ID. Hitting towns like Weiser, Moscow, etc. Can anyone tell me how travelling is on the 95?
Yahoo and Google has me going back west to I5 here in CA, then up through OR and WA. Looks to me like it is going the long, but "smoother" route. Just kinda curious as to whether the 95 is real mountainous and slow going, or if there is a lot of traffic on it. Is it only a 2 lane hwy that is difficult to pass on?
My plan is to leave No CA on Sunday morning July 22nd, around 6am and be in the Post Falls area before midnight.

I am also open to any other alternative routes that anyone wants to recommend.

Thanks in advance, and see you all in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 PM

445 posts, read 1,323,112 times
Smile Come On Up!

Dear johns65vette,

You may be right, depending on what you like. Go to AAA.com and do a TripTik Travel Planner.

You'll see that AAA's suggested routing (Placerville to Coeur d'Alene) takes about 15 hours at just over 1,000 miles. Your alternative is only about 950 miles, but will take 16 hours. As they say at Nevada's blackjack tables, that's a "push".

Once you reach Coeur d'Alene, your furthest point of interest (Bonners Ferry) is right at 80 miles. Mileage to the rest of your list is less than that.

Driving 95 within Idaho is easy going. It's 2-lane, but the only slow downs will be in the cities along 95. You're on a mission to find the right place. Take your time, nose around, ask questions of the locals who have no axe to grind, and drink in the beauty and tranquility of Idaho. You'll find a lot of "Shangri-La's".

I wish you success. Welcome to Idaho!

Bob (pimit2)

Old 06-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Thanks Bob

I should probably join AAA just for the maps and trip planners
Our first stop will be somewhere around Post Falls, as we want to check out pacalady(s) Alpaca farm on Monday. We may never make it up to Bonners Ferry during that week, but it is on the list just in case we get time.
I am sure this will be the first of many trips for us over the next couple of years. Hope to narrow it down each time we visit.

Well it's off to visit AAA.com, and to figure out a central location to stay, when we get there.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:21 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,910,427 times
Johns65vette, You and your wife will be passing within 1 1/2 mile from our house when you go through Cambridge. Too bad you will be in such a hurry. PM me for our phone number in case you and your wife are done in by the time you get this far. I think we are about 10 hours into your trip. You will still have quite a way to go from here.

LOL Cambridge is where the highway makes a sharp right turn in/out of town and many miss it going straight taking you no where and you will have to turn around. Be sure to stay in the right lane all the way through town.

Chris

Old 07-01-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Johns65vette, You and your wife will be passing within 1 1/2 mile from our house when you go through Cambridge. Too bad you will be in such a hurry. PM me for our phone number in case you and your wife are done in by the time you get this far. I think we are about 10 hours into your trip. You will still have quite a way to go from here.

LOL Cambridge is where the highway makes a sharp right turn in/out of town and many miss it going straight taking you no where and you will have to turn around. Be sure to stay in the right lane all the way through town.

Chris
Thanks Chris I will send you a PM. Who knows we might be ready for a meal at that point.

I am actually a driving machine. I can sit behind the wheel for hours. When I bought my 65 Corvette (hence my username ) I drove from here in So Cal, to Eugene OR (where I bought the car from) towing a car trailer. Took 14 hours going through snow and all. I slept 6 hours, picked the car up, and drove 18 hours back. Had a 2 hour road closure and had to put chains on my tow vehicle, and car trailer. All this with no radio, since my radio broke only 2 hours into the trip Makes for a long quiet ride.

That reminds me.... What cell phone services are up there? I have T-Mobile. Is that one of the providers for the area?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 PM

341 posts, read 1,668,916 times
Hello HAve a great trip - we just got back - did az to Utah and then to all over Idaho - what a trip and what great people - I will say in the mountains I was not able to use my T-mobile - but once in cities or towns - just look for a signal -
have fun

Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks LVGAZ. I was reading some of your posts the other day. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 16,261 times
I've drove both options, up the panhandle and I-84. If your goal is time you will want to drive I-84. If you want beauty, a scenic drive use hwy 95. I live near Seattle and have family in both North and South Idaho and we like to drive the panhandle when traveling between the two ends. We tend to drive on the east side of Lake Coeur D'Alene using Hwy 97 we like the view, but it is slower and curvier when going along the lake. The extra time this route takes is well worth it. Both routes have good roads, some 2 lane some 4 (2 in both directions) Passing areas are OK.
A town I would add to your list is Wallace - an old mining town. You probably already know that Athol is the home of Silverwood Theme Park, it is also next to Farragut State Park a great place to camp. When in Sandpoint ride the chairlift at the ski resort to enjoy the best view. I do guarantee that you will not be able to see everything in the area. Take the side roads and enjoy. I do think your time frame will really be pushing it. You will not have time to enjoy what is available too see.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Viewwa View Post
I've drove both options, up the panhandle and I-84. If your goal is time you will want to drive I-84. If you want beauty, a scenic drive use hwy 95. I live near Seattle and have family in both North and South Idaho and we like to drive the panhandle when traveling between the two ends. We tend to drive on the east side of Lake Coeur D'Alene using Hwy 97 we like the view, but it is slower and curvier when going along the lake. The extra time this route takes is well worth it. Both routes have good roads, some 2 lane some 4 (2 in both directions) Passing areas are OK.
A town I would add to your list is Wallace - an old mining town. You probably already know that Athol is the home of Silverwood Theme Park, it is also next to Farragut State Park a great place to camp. When in Sandpoint ride the chairlift at the ski resort to enjoy the best view. I do guarantee that you will not be able to see everything in the area. Take the side roads and enjoy. I do think your time frame will really be pushing it. You will not have time to enjoy what is available too see.
Thanks a bunch for the info No, I didn't know that info about Athol

I went to Barnes and Noble today and bought an Idaho Atlas and Gazetteer, a paper fold out map of ID, as well as a U.S. Atlas Nothing like being prepared.

What you are saying about the 2 different routes, is kinda what I gathered from looking at the Atlas'.

Pacaladys' husband was nice enough to suggest taking
I84 out of Ontario Id, and go up through the Tri Cities area of WA, then take the 395 to the 90. That is probably what we will end up doing, as I want to make decent time getting there. We may take 95 South to go home the following weekend depending on what day we leave.

What you say about Wallace sounds interesting. My favorite pic on City-Data has go to be this one of Wallace. I see it, and I think, WOW!! I could live here
http://pics3.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles9697.jpg (broken link)

I know we won't have time to see everything on this trip But we will continue to come visit as often as we can, till we find where we want to go. Our biggest hurdle is finding someone to take care of all of our critters while we're gone. 4 horses, 6 cats, 7 dogs...well actually 6, as we're taking out ChiHauHau (sp?) with us.

Have a great 4th everyone

Old 07-07-2007, 08:34 AM

I ordered up my radar detector yesterday for the road trip 2 more weeks to go. I'm already "Jones'n. Been a long time since I took a nice long road trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho