Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:15 AM

435 posts, read 942,306 times

Advertisements

Morning..I am trying to gather data in my favor for moving into Idaho vs Washington. My husband thinks because WA does not have state tax that we would be better off living retired. He has a pension, non government and both on SSI and we will be buying a home. I am tired of all the government and liberal mess going on and am honesty concerned about the future. We live in Virginia in the country and I like the look of Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry. He is telling me that they are out in the wilderness and he does not want to be an isolationest..and we are to old?? Anyway we are in our early 60's, very good health, phyically fit, like the outdoors and are not afraid of hunting, fishing etc. His last comment was there probably is not even a Walmart...Please give me some ammo..no pun intended to make my point. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:33 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,686,429 times
You should check out Kettle Falls and Colville just a hop, skip and a jump away in NE Washington. It is BEAUTIFUL there(just like here), friendly small-western-town atmospheres and a fairly short, manageable drive into Spokane down highway 395.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
Ponderay (outside of Sandpoint) has a Wal-Mart. Home Depot too.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 AM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Sandpoint is hardly out in the wilderness! But you can get into wild country within 15 minutes of driving. Which to me is ideal! Ponderay is, in effect, Sandpoint North, only 10 minutes or less from downtown, and it is growing in leaps and bounds because of the new bypass that will dump traffic directly into the shopping district. Bonners Ferry is much smaller, but still within a manageable driving distance to Sandpoint. But what I'd also want to look into is medical facilities; down the line it is nice to know that they're available, and at this point CdA and Spokane have more to offer than Sandpoint. But there are hospitals in both Sandpoint and Bonners.

Politically, Spokane is wagged by liberal Western WA when it comes to statewide issues, which is frustrating for many Spokanites. You don't have that problem in North Idaho!

And, by the way, you guys are not too old for NID!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM

34 posts, read 78,108 times
Being a current resident of WA, my husband and I are looking forward to the day when we can bail. We live in the dreaded liberal hotspot of King County *shudder* The days of no state income tax in WA may be numbered at any rate.
My vote is for NID!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:57 PM

52 posts, read 208,543 times
Rudydog1,

Don't forget about Coeur d'Alene, ID, which has its own charming downtown, awesome lake, and the amenities of suburbia on the outskirts. From there, it's like a 22-mile drive into Spokane's downtown, which is a pretty commendable downtown area for such a medium-sized city.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,795,505 times
Sandpoint (NOT Spokane) keeps getting written up as one of the best places to retire in America. 7000'ish population (but county seat for about 40K people), arts and entertainment, full hospital and ER right in town with many geriatric services (a consideration although you're currently in great health, right?), low crime, awesome lake, etc. Idaho was ranked #4 in the national survey of personal freedom (lowest gov't intrusion into people's lives), Washington was (IIRC) down around #40. CDA is a bustling town that has a larger town/suburban feel, with big box stores, traffic, more amenities, and about 45K people (CDA/Hayden).

I gotta be honest, I'd willingly pay more NOT to have to live in Washington versus Idaho...it's that much better here...

IF you must live in Spokane area, I'd look at Liberty Lake or Mead. Or further up toward Elk or those areas where it's quite pretty.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 PM

820 posts, read 1,728,506 times
Spokane has no income tax, but their home owners tax and basic tax rates are alot more there than idaho, which kootenai county has a little more that 1% a year homeowners tax but that is cut in half up to a certain point if you actually live there. Being a realtor, my #1 out of town client is WA people then CA people because our lifestyle is alot better and our values carry more weight.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:08 AM

8,380 posts, read 8,589,909 times
For the tax comparison you should factor in the federal tax deductibility of one state tax. And depending on how far you want to take it, perhaps motor vehicle taxes.

The answer for the comparison will vary some by your particulars or anyone else's on the size of income, the value of the house, how much you spend (and how & where) and the ratios between them.

Deer Park WA is another town fairly near Elk. There are some small lakes in that area.

You could also consider Newport WA or Priest River ID. Or perhaps even places south of Spokane and Couer d'Alene, like perhaps outside Pullman WA or Moscow ID.

A lot of it depends on how big a place you jointly decide to be "in or real near" and how big a place you want to be "sort of near" and how far you consider near enough for each.

Whichever state you choose, the other is relatively nearby if you need or want something it has.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-18-2010 at 01:26 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 06:09 AM

435 posts, read 942,306 times
Default Great Responses...Humm Still Liking Idaho

Here in Virginia we live just outside a quaint historic town about a mile from some big water ways on three green arces. Hunting season is the next biggest sport besides fishing however my hubby has not really engaged himself with the locals, I've been working full time. So sounds like there are alot of opportunites for me to have the great outdoor feel and my hubby to have more sense of a bigger city. I would love to purchase up to 3 or more acres, drive up there in a 5th wheel and build a home once we get there...he on the other hand wants to move from here and into another established home..I am the nature girl...he is the previous city slicker..(from San Diego) Anyway Coeur d Alene sounds like a good area, yes our health is great now as I am into that sort of thing but with the government wanting to screw things up...living close to Canada might have it's benefits to get cheaper drugs if we ever need to...I want to grow my own herbs, veggies and my man bring home the catch...think this project will still need some workThanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho