U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,296 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at moving from MN soon. we have 2 kids in their teens. We were thinking Wyoming or Montana, however I've been looking at Idaho as well. Around the Idaho Falls area. Here are my questions.

Coming from MN, we are used to the 40 below with the wind, but would prefer 20's-30's so temps in the winter if possible, not all winter but as an average.

Really like the fact every house I've looked at for our price range (under 200,000) with a couple acres has a back drop of the mountains. This is what we are looking for, be able to see the mountains and drive to them for a day or weekend, but not "living in them" per say.

My next question is the local stores. Right now we live in a town of 300 people with a bank, post office, bar and gas station/convenience store. The bigger cities are about 30 miles for a Wal-Mart, Target, large grocery store and my husband commutes to work 45-60 minutes one way for work. This is perfect for us, small town for the necessities but major stores for the 2 week supply. Is this something to what Idaho Falls offers? We live in the country and plan on staying in the country (about a mile from the small town).

And my last question. My husband is in the supervisor/management fields of housekeeping/maintenance/floor care(stripping,waxing,etc). I know the job openings are hurting now, but is there need for people with this experience?

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. From what I have seen you live in a beautiful state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,297,763 times
We have Idaho Falls members who can tell you more about IF than I can, but as far as I know winters can get nippy! The Boise area has milder winter temps. But overall, you're wise to look to Idaho rather than Wyoming, even if it is a beautiful and friendly state, because winters can be so brutal there. Indeed, you'll have a backdrop view of mountains just about anywhere in Idaho. Finding a small town with a market, a post office, a gas station and (maybe) a bank within 30 miles of a bigger town isn't hard, either! A whole cluster of nice smaller towns north of Boise just like that. But since so many places fit your criteria, I'd suggest two things: (1) look for work before you decide on a place, and (2) come visit, do a road trip through Western Montana and Idaho from Idaho Falls and Boise on up to North Idaho (Coeur d'Alene, Post Falls, Sandpoint) and gather info (and have fun ). Chances are that when you've found work, you'll find a place for under 200K with a couple of acres and a mountain view within 30-40 minutes' drive! You can combine it with a trip through Western Montana and in particular the Bitterroot Valley, which will also match your criteria (Missoula being the "big city,") but the property values may be a bit higher. I'm partial to the whole area along Highway 200, but it's a little more remote on the MT side. On the ID side, you're within an easy drive from Sandpoint.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:00 PM

13 posts, read 17,646 times
I personally would say just about anywhere in Idaho or Montana would be better than Wyoming. I agree with everything Clark Fork Fantast. I have driven just about all over Wyoming and have to say, it's not all it's cracked up to be! And in terms of the winter, it might have milder temps than MN, but the wind is INSANE. I lived in Norther Colorado for a few years and got the tail end of it and it sucks. I'm talking day in, day out, for MONTHS on end...30 mph constant with gusts up to 80 mph. It's cheap for a reason. No culture outside of backwoods hick. Even the "cities" are seriously lacking. Wyoming, Eastern Montana, and Southern Idaho all have more of a rolling hills and plains kind of feel. Whereas Central/Northern Idaho and Western Montana have big, rugged mountains. I personally would take Wyoming off my list I don't know a huge amount about I F specifically. But my number one recommendation would be to pick a few areas you like after visiting, and let THE JOB dictate where you end up. They often don't pay a lot and are hard to come by.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 AM

4,101 posts, read 10,867,477 times
You can get what you're looking for, the small town, without living in Idaho Falls which it's self is over 50,000. We do get windy winters, but not like what you're used to living in MN. I believe the coldest I've seen it is maybe -6 to -10 with winds, certainly not -30 or -40 with winds.

The past few winters have been strong (lots of snow), not sure what to make of the upcoming winter basing it off of the animals, I'm a bit scared

As others have said, your husband wants to have a job lined up before making the move as our unemployment rate is low!!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 PM

100 posts, read 122,663 times
I can think of several areas in Idaho to recommend. Northern Idaho, Treasure Valley, and the IF area all come to mind. I think you should be concerned about employment, though. I am not aware of any comparable jobs that are compensated in a manner that would support a family. Seriously. Best wishes.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM

44 posts, read 45,246 times
When you talk about mild winters in some areas, what does that consist of? I'm also from Mn looking to get away from the humid summers, bugs and long cold winters.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 AM

100 posts, read 122,663 times
The Treasure Valley (Boise area) has mild winters compared to northern Idaho. Anything in the panhandle will look green (whereas we are the "browner" portion of the state), but you will shovel snow and have maintenance like in Minnesota. In the valley in the winter, you will experience some inversions, but winter will amount to, IMO, about about 10-12 weeks of real winter and snow accumulation will be nothing like the mountains or northern Idaho. The valley has low humidity so summer has several weeks of 100 degrees but it is nothing like 100 degrees and 70% humidity. You will have mosquitos if you are not in an abatement district. In my opinion, Idaho has three rather distinctive areas (Panhandle, Treasure Valley, and Pokey/IF area. They are all different, so it kind of just depends on you priorities. I'm guessing you might like the Treasure Valley. Small rural town - maybe Weiser, Emmett, or Star. Larger town close to amenities/activities Boise, Meridian, or Eagle maybe??? Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho