U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2010, 02:32 PM

121 posts, read 121,767 times

Advertisements

I have had some attempts of possibly living in Idaho and I have come close to actually moving there a few times. Either timing was not right, or all the "cards" just didn't stack up to risk the move. Now I have another opportunity for a teaching job (special education) with the Mccall-Donelly school system. I know winters can be long but where I am at in Illinois is not exactly comfortable weather wise. Besides, I absoloutely hate hot summers with high humidity...We had several 90 degree days with high, high dew points in the high 70's which makes the heat index above 100. So I will take longer winters any day. My passions are hunting, fishing, camping,motocycling, and exploring beautiful areas. I have been to Mccall, but how would it be for living there year round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 PM

917 posts, read 1,282,561 times
Lots of similar threads about McCall weather. Use the search.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM

121 posts, read 121,767 times
I remember when there was a time where people thought Mccall was great and quite the place to retire too. Dont here much "warm fuzzies" about the area anymore.....

Old 10-10-2010, 09:30 PM

100 posts, read 120,428 times
IMO, the area succumbs to the ups and downs of the economy in a more pronounced way due to recreation and tourism. Second homes, vacations, ski passes, and weekends of golf and boating are the first thing to go when money is tight. Timber and ranching are just not as lucrative. I have heard nice things about the schools and they played my hometown in sports and had friendly parents and nice kids. The weather would probably suit you okay - too much winter for me. Last time I was there, there were plenty of for sale signs all over town. Water bills can be relatively high and you should plan for expenses related to snow removal and maintenance. The road to Boise can be hazardous and tedious at times. People in the area seem to head down to the valley on a pretty regular basis. I own a second home there, but am not a year round resident so someone from there could probably tell you more. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,496 times
Default Living in McCall Idaho

Hello-
If you don't like hot humid midwestern summers then McCall is for you - especially if you have a job lined up. The economy here is poor. The recession along with major home value declines and the bankruptcy of Tamarack have had a huge impact on this area. However, if you have a job, enjoy the outdoors and like snow then this would be a great spot for you.
The reality is - now is a time of oppotunity here. Home prices have fallen up to 70%. Rent is low. The natural beauty of the area will never change.
However, McCall is small. You will know everyone you see at the grocery store within a year. (except for the tourists)
Overall, the people are friendly. Somewhat conservative for a mountain town/resort area however. There is still resistance to the resort economy in this area even thought this is the only economy there is. People live in the past (logging and they don't want other people to find out about "their little secret")
Good Luck!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,405 times
Talking I Love McCall

It is Soooo California. Bicycles on Sport Utilities. So Republican!!!
Idahoans are so naive that they don't know Rush Limbaugh is actually a ***** for big money. Idaho is a sanctimonious Icebox. I'm a fair weather friend of Idaho myself. August visit.... I travel that goat trail called highway 95
and before the canyons echo of redneck gunfire during hunting season...bye bye.

So...
The cold and the tiny townie mindset will be too much for any sane person.
My favorite saying is very true for Idaho.
"Find a place that is your shangri la, a place that you dearly love. Then never move there. Only visit."

Last edited by whisperingrocks; 03-09-2011 at 11:41 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,312,592 times
Gee, Whisperingrocks, that helps a lot. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2011, 12:05 PM

9,842 posts, read 3,471,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingrocks View Post
It is Soooo California. Bicycles on Sport Utilities. So Republican!!!
Idahoans are so naive that they don't know Rush Limbaugh is actually a ***** for big money. Idaho is a sanctimonious Icebox. I'm a fair weather friend of Idaho myself. August visit.... I travel that goat trail called highway 95
and before the canyons echo of redneck gunfire during hunting season...bye bye.

So...
The cold and the tiny townie mindset will be too much for any sane person.
My favorite saying is very true for Idaho.
"Find a place that is your shangri la, a place that you dearly love. Then never move there. Only visit."
Hey, it's not that bad, but I do have to say your not the first one to describe it this way and worse. It takes a person that likes themselves and doesn't want to make too many friends. If you like outdoor activity and lots and lots of snow this just could just be the place for you.

The redneck gunfire now this is funny!!! You could have said this about 15 years ago, McCall has gone from redneck to yuppieville......you know the anti-gun type!!

Old 03-12-2011, 12:06 PM

9,842 posts, read 3,471,951 times
Default What can one say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Gee, Whisperingrocks, that helps a lot. Thanks!
...lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho