Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:57 AM

291 posts, read 667,488 times

Advertisements

I-90 take it or leave it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 AM

29,175 posts, read 22,170,981 times
Default It can't happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMan View Post
I-90 take it or leave it!
Hi,KTM...
If I-90 would do it, there never would have been a discussion in the first place. Every other plan involves much more distance and difficulty for the oil company, and both add up to a much higher expense. They are simply trying to get by on the cheap at our expense.

Like so many other times in Idaho, the State gave permission before bothering to learn the facts and consequences first, and it's far from being a done deal one way or the other at present. Right now, it's on hold, but may not be forever. Otter was all for it, but it hasn't become a campaign issue.

We have all seen how the oil companies deliver on their promises to clean things up after they have caused a catastrophe. Hauling their big junk over Idaho roads is on the bleeding edge of failure with every mile of the Lolo Pass, and I hope Idaho's government doesn't trust the oil company any more than I do- in my case, that's not at all.

The real capper is there isn't a nickel in it for the state. They will pay an oversize/overload fee, and that's it. Chump change for all the potential damage that could happen and all the profits they stand to reap.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:30 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,694,693 times
It's one of other things that have made me seriously consider whom to vote for tomorrow for governor. I think it was an arrogant and foolish move by Otter.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 PM

7,344 posts, read 12,571,338 times
Oh no, say it ain't so...this is total madness. No jurisdiction? They've got to be kidding!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 PM

107 posts, read 298,146 times
Idaho court OKs Highway 12 mega-loads - Spokesman.com - Nov. 1, 2010

This one explains their decision a little better. Can't say as I like it, but at least this article is a little more detailed and optomistic. Let's hope Montana has better luck!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM

836 posts, read 1,487,799 times
Idaho Supreme Court vacates ruling on big-rig shipments on Highway 12

From the above:
State high court justices didn't weigh in on the merits of the case. Instead, they vacated Bradbury's decision, ruling it was premature because neither the Idaho Transportation Board nor Transportation Department director Brian Ness had issued a final order on whether the shipments could proceed.
"Absent a final order, any petition for judicial review is premature," wrote Justice Warren Jones for the majority.

Seems to me the court is almost inviting the opponents back, once the permits are issued.... I'm having a hard time wading through the available information.

The opinion can be read here: http://www.lmtribune.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/big-truck-case.pdf (broken link)

I have not made it through the whole ruling, but on page 10 is indicated that opponents must file for legal status as "intervenors" which, theoretically, will entitle them to formal hearings on the permits.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,962,676 times
Wink Please

"They said those opposed to the giant loads being transported on a designated scenic highway may have real grievances with the Idaho Transportation Department, but dismissed the case on grounds that state courts lacked jurisdiction. In the opinion released Monday, Justice Warren Jones said "Actions by state agencies are not subject to judicial review unless expressly authorized by statute." Jones said the case should have gone to ITD for a contested case hearing."[1]
- klewtv.com

I've got to ask exactly what kind of 'justice' is represented here? Or how ludicrous this court's decision that it has no jurisdiction over questions affecting all the citizens of Idaho?

Referring this matter back to the tender mercies of the ITD is akin to the proverbial fox guarding the the hen house. On their best of days the ITD is an organization in an uneasy relationship with the environment. More to the point, they are exactly the outfit which for the last several years has been covertly preparing for these shipments. What kind of justice can one expect from them?

Or from the Idaho Supreme Court, it would seem. Please. If with money attached to it, what will not prevail?

1) 'Idaho Supreme Court ruling opens door for mega-loads,' klewtv.com
Idaho Supreme Court ruling opens door for mega-loads | KLEW CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Lewiston, ID - Lewiston, Idaho | Local & Regional

Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 PM

836 posts, read 1,487,799 times
The latest:

Montana, Idaho wait on each other to issue big rig permits

I can't help but add a

Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,962,676 times
Wink Weather trumps politics

"ConocoPhillips' application was submitted in April. At the time, the company proposed to begin moving the four loads to Billings on June 1 and be finished by Aug. 7. Imperial/Exxon's original plan was to begin its yearlong Kearl Module Transportation Project to Alberta by October."[1]

With any luck Mother Nature will intercede and stop all this for the winter. Meanwhile the states of Idaho and Montana can play political chicken . . . and the citizens of both with more time to reflect on what this really means to them.

1) 'Montana, Idaho wait on each other to issue big rig permits,' Missoulian
Montana, Idaho wait on each other to issue big rig permits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho