Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:23 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDelSol View Post
Here in east Idaho I notice the locals get irritated more with Utahans than Californians. They buy up lots of property here. They're also closer and tend to "invade" Idaho during every major holiday (and most summer weekends). Most also drive like lunatics wherever they go which doesn't help their image.

Many western states are having growing pains. When I visited New Mexico a few years ago, the locals liked to talk about all the rich Texans moving to the area, driving up real estate and acting like jerks.

With the US population over 300 million and growing fast these problems are only going to get worse. All these wide open spaces and freedoms won't exist in another 30 years. Only the filthy rich will be able to live where they want. The rest of us will be living in massive apartment complexes or the slums.
I agree almost 100% withe what you've written CafeDelSol. I'm just a little bit more hopeful that some of us will still be in moderate houses in 30 years. Notice, I said HOPEFUL, not POSITIVE.

Anyway, good post, CafeDelSol.

IMHO, as has been expressed so many times, it's not just new residents from CA, but all of those when after they have moved in their Idaho home, arrive from any other state or country, start to complain or whine of what ID doesn't have that their former location did.

When people decide to move to an new location, there have to be a number of factors that seem more positive to them in the new ID city than those in their current present city to to uproot a family (or even single people) and move. It's hard work and a lot of hassle (or at least it has been for me).

Those already living in the new ID location already decided that much earlier the benefits of their ID city. Consequently, I still think one of the biggest issues comes when the new residents complain about what they don't have that they use to in their old city, instead of enjoying the changes, across the entire board, their relocation now allows them to experience.

Enjoy the changes, the new friends to make and the new scenery to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 AM

51 posts, read 178,006 times
Sage, I hope I can dig myself out (rather than deeper). I, too, think the advice you received about changing your license plates soon was good. When I moved to a new city/state, I changed my plates within the first couple of days simply because I wanted to settle into my new home asap. I also appreciate that your neighbors sort of "took you under their wings" by giving you that advice. I only meant that the insinuation of looking like an outsider under scrutiny would be a little disconcerting. I shouldn't have tried to put a spin on your sign-off quote. It was ... lame!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:03 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,834,770 times
Eyetech,

No worries on the quote...I certainly understand what you were getting at...

CafeDelSol...

I must respectfully disagree with your comment about wide-open spaces disappearing...although I do agree that urban sprawl and suburban growth is a very pertinent issue. Near us, Coeur d'Alene and Post Falls and Hayden are growing rapidly, yet when I drove home tonight after a dinner date with my wife, we still drove through 45 miles of dense forest land to get home, and those area is still some 85-90% uninhabited forest land.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 07-15-2007 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: OT portion removed

Old 07-15-2007, 10:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,834,770 times
OK Carl, I'm not above the rules and I can admit that you're right on this one. I have deleted the off-topic portion of my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho