Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 41,305 times

Advertisements

I have read most of the recent threads and have diligently read the replies, but have some questions which were not addressed. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.

I currently live in a rural midwestern college town and am planning to move from here most likely next summer. I have not decided anywhere in particular, but am seriously looking at the SE/Southern Idaho region as I love the West and the mountains and am also an avid skier. My family had a condo at Big Sky when I was growing up and I have a yearning to return to the northern Rockies.

I am considering the cities of Idaho Falls, Pocatello or Twin Falls as I would like to live in a mid-size town. i have had enough of the big-city life and the real small towns. Since I have returned to being single after a long relationship and have no kids, my questions are more centered on what is the best place for a 40-something man to adjust and meet other singles?

My other questions are: Is there a motorcycle helmet law in Idaho? Are any of these locales better for skiing than the others?

I am also a volunteer firefighter and want to hook up with a district wherever I go. Are there volunteer FDs around each of these areas?

Are there any other cities that I am missing? I have omitted Boise because it has too many people -- have lived in Chicago and California and don't have a desire for any more of the rat race. Would rather visit there and go home to a more rural area.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Ski resorts; If you like Sun Valley then Twin Falls is closer at 81 miles than either Pocatello (165 miles) or Idaho Falls (153). Idaho Falls is only about 88 miles from Grand Targhee, nearby Idaho Falls you also have Heise which is give or take about 30 miles.

As for the volunteer fire departments, I'm not much help to you there.

Helmet,law? Not for adults.

As far as meeting singles, I strongly think there is enough diversity in all three cities for someone who is looking to meet someone.

Hope this helps you a little. If "Mtn States Resident" shows up I'm sure you'll find some help regarding the volunteer fire depts.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM

cleosmom --

Thank you for the reply. If I may ask, is it safe to assume the weather is similar in all three cities? I am also assuming they are very similar in nature, and all seem to be growing. Would that be a correct assumption.

Also, is the cost of living similar in all three cities?

Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,790 times
I will respond with more info later, gotta head out to meet friends, but I am from Idaho Falls, and am very familier with the three cities you are asking about. I will reply with more info soon.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 PM

121 posts, read 738,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candilinks View Post

Since I have returned to being single after a long relationship and have no kids, my questions are more centered on what is the best place for a 40-something man to adjust and meet other singles?

My other questions are: Is there a motorcycle helmet law in Idaho? Are any of these locales better for skiing than the others?
I would not recommend Pocatello for anything on your list except motorcycling. There is some nice riding in the area for either on or off road bikes.

You don't want to be single in Pocatello. Probably not Twin Falls either. Idaho Falls has a much more diverse mix of people. Actually if you take a quick look at Yahoo Singles for all the cities you can get a fair idea of what to expect.

No helmet laws in Idaho for adults. Under 16, yes. You also have to pass a motorcycle endorsement test. Let me know if you need more info on that.

As for skiing, here are the basics: Twin Falls is close to Sun Valley (big and expensive) and Pomerelle (small but fantastic snow). Idaho Falls is close to Kelly Canyon (poor snow), 90 miles from Targhee (excellent), slightly farther to Jackson Hole (rich snob country but great skiing). Big Sky is a 3-4 hour drive but worth it. Pocatello is close to Pebble Creek (absolutely useless).

I'm not sure about the volunteer firefighting. I know Ammon used to have a good one. That's on the east side of Idaho Falls. I don't know about the other cities.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:06 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Smile VFD: Hmm, There's Firth and More

I think CafeDelSol sums it up well, given your criteria, Candilinks.

As for the volunteer FD, that is a hot issue right now in Ammon. I wouldn't even ask.

A little south of Idaho Falls, the Firth FD is volunteer. I wouldn't live there, but volunteering is different. I know Shelley uses volunteer EMTs, not sure about Fire fights.

Check more around the Ucon/Iona area as well as Rigby for FD. I can't remember for sure where it is housed, but there is a volunteer FD.

Since your family use to go to Big Sky, and it appears you enjoyed it, I have to agree with CDS and vote for Idaho Falls. It's closer than any of the others (Big Sky would around 350 miles from Twin Falls). Skiing at Targhee or other options in or near Jackson is only a dream for many. You could make it your reality.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Thanks. Will have more questions, I'm sure.

Cafe and MSR -- thank you for your insight. I know I have some more questions, so I hope you stay abreast of this thread, but I have a busy day and evening so it will be later before I can get at it. I will try to gather my questions so I can ask most of them at once instead of taking up a lot of your time.

Idaho Falls was always my first choice with Twin Falls second, so your assessments are in line with my thoughts. Was not sure about Pocatello, since all college towns all seem to have the same type of flair. I have an aunt who lives just north of Salt Lake City and am planning to visit her and then head to Idaho to check out the cities in person. Per your info., I will definitely start at IF.

Cafe -- I am sure I will need some info on the motorcycle endorsement test, although I've ridden for 30 years, so I don't think it should be a big deal.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candilinks View Post
Cafe and MSR -- thank you for your insight. I know I have some more questions, so I hope you stay abreast of this thread, but I have a busy day and evening so it will be later before I can get at it. I will try to gather my questions so I can ask most of them at once instead of taking up a lot of your time.

Idaho Falls was always my first choice with Twin Falls second, so your assessments are in line with my thoughts. Was not sure about Pocatello, since all college towns all seem to have the same type of flair. I have an aunt who lives just north of Salt Lake City and am planning to visit her and then head to Idaho to check out the cities in person. Per your info., I will definitely start at IF.

Cafe -- I am sure I will need some info on the motorcycle endorsement test, although I've ridden for 30 years, so I don't think it should be a big deal.
Candilinks,

With a year to go, I'm sure you'll have plenty of questions. They don't all have to be asked right now. If you post something and you worry one of us hasn't seen it, send us a PM.

When you get a chance, please check the Top 10 Things to Do in Idaho Falls today/this week. Some of us familiar with the area are starting to share the fun things to do via that thread.

There are MANY, MANY activities to do in eastern ID. However, I don't know that the communication patterns are established for those who want and need the information, yet. Consequently, people often think there is nothing to do and that is rarely the case.

You also might want to contact some of those FDs to see if there is specific training you may need to be current on, before they can allow you to volunteer.

We'll be here.

MSR

Old 07-17-2007, 06:20 PM

21 posts, read 116,323 times
Twin Falls is a bit hotter then Idaho Falls and its a little windier there too. But it has a gorgeous canyon!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Default some basic questions

Can anyone pass along the names (and/or websites) of any newspapers that cover either Idaho Falls and Twin Falls. I'll Google the major ones, but was wondering if there was something a little more obscure, as well. This may be a way for me to answer a lot of my simpler qestions without taking up valuable board space and also help me set an itinerary for my trip to these locales. I have been viewing the links MSR passed along for Idaho Falls (magazine and chat forum) and was wondering if there was also something like that for Twin Falls.

Also, how much does gas cost in your areas? We have some of the nation's most costliest here in Illinois, at least that's what the most recent nationwide survey said.

I also noticed on the weather graphs here on city-data that the humidity seems to be very low. Is that an accurate assessment? Have been living in a steambath (70% and higher here is the norm) and definitely want to escape that.

Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho