Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 AM

129 posts, read 583,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
It's tough being Jewish in Idaho. Not because of bigotry but because we are few and far between! I'm also of the same political leanings as the OP but not as devout. Boise has the largest Jewish population in the state with both a reform/conservative synagogue and a Chabad synagogue.

Still, coming from California where so many of my friends were Jewish, it's a bit of a wandering in the wilderness experience here. Add being conservative politically when most Jews seems to be liberals makes you even more alone with regards to finding a Jewish community. At least, if you come here, you'll know there's at least one more like you in Idaho.
Zoomba, I am happy to hear there is another person just like me in Coeur d'Alene. Yes, I can imagine it poses quite a challenge living up there. Well, at least you have Spokane not far away for a Jewish community. Oh my, a 40 minute drive is nothing for me. I was living in the Oregon coast for 4 years and drove 1.5 hours into Eugene just to get food. However, I am sure if you are a California transplant living in CDA will be a great culture shock for you. Certainly, there is no active Jewish community there.

Hopefully, we can get together and meet sometime when I am up in the area. It's not easy to find conservative Jews, but I would expect to find them in North Idaho more than Portland . Did you move up there with a family? I'm sure finding a Jewish wife with conservative values in Coeur d'Alene will pose quite a challenge. I have lived up in the Pacific Northwest most my life and will say not many Jews live the wilderness mountain lifestyle. As you can see from our history most Jewish people like to congregate together in specific neighborhoods of big cities. Before Jews lived in the cities we would all live together in isolated sheitels. Basically, we all lived together and traveled together. Not many would separate and go there own way. This probably stems back from the old times. Most Jews are within tight-knit communities.

Shalom Chaveri.. Enjoy the Fresh Air..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 AM

382 posts, read 1,032,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
Well ejay, I guess I understand that you, not being Jewish, may not have any worries from the likes of the Aryan Nations, who probably would not wish to do YOU any harm. However, if you are Jewish, the tides do turn and you are their #1 target. Also, I am sorry that the JDL was mean to the neo-nazis, but considering that I am the grandson of a holocaust survivor, I don't think I can feel too sad for them for being abused by the JDL. You claim the Aryan Nation just sat there and took the insults? Well, the AN does most of its dirty work behind close doors; hence, why they moved all the way out to a remote location in Idaho for their headquarters. And, in case you don't know, one of the members from the Hayden Lake Aryan Nations went down to Los Angeles and opened fire in a synagogue killing and wounding many people. There are a few others who use to frequent the compound who were responsible for attacks on Jewish people. For instance, the man who shot up the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC, James W. Von Brunn also frequented the Hayden Lake location. Also, what about the business in Coeur d'Alene that was bombed, because the Aryan Nations members thought the owner was Jewish? It turned out that the owner was not Jewish. However, are you saying this event never occurred?

Anyway, I don't want to dive into politics, but I just have to share my view on this issue.

Even worse is the experienced hunter who knows what he is shooting at. Generally, white anglo/nordic Christians are not the prey of nazis, but Jews are. There is always danger in the forest, of course. That is horrible, that you were shot at... I guess I might need to learn from you places to avoid trekking in the woods around there. I have had run-ins with black bears and a cougar, but never had a hunter shoot at me. Not yet, heaven forbid.

Well, this is the 21st century and there really is no such thing as paradise in the sense of the word. Let me rephrase, it's a heck of a lot nicer of a place to go shooting around there then here in Portland or anywhere in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. I am sorry to hear people are trashing the forests around there. As for me, I am the kind of guy who would not only clean up my own mess, but probably bring some extra bags to clean up other people's messes as well. We are experiencing the same problems out here in Oregon with areas in the national forest being shutdown because too many jerks decided to go and leave a bunch of garbage and spent shells in the area. It's really ashame.

Well, you seem to have a few really nice rifle/pistol clubs in the area. What do you think of the Fernand Gun Club? I talked to one of the people who run the range and it sounds really nice. Its open 24-7, has 400 yard high power range and action pistol/rifle bays. Good luck finding a range in Western Oregon that has an action rifle bay. There is a club in Canby, but the waiting list is 3 years long.. From what I heard, CDA/Spokane has a good number of rifle clubs. Also, many other people in the area say there is still a lot of nice places to shoot around there. With all the wilderness in Spokane and CDA I just cannot believe you cannot find some decent and remote spots. Also, the Centerfire Sports club sounds real nice during nasty winter months. They even let you shoot ARs indoors.

Well, I am actually already good to go CCW wise in Idaho. I have both an Oregon and Washington CCW, so I am legally allowed to carry in Idaho which recognizes both my Oregon and Washington CCW. I always carry my gun with me, even to Temple. Well, excluding the Post Office . Yeah, I know some may think I am a bit over-worried, but with all the stuff going on, I think it makes a great insurance policy. Oregon has good gun laws like Idaho; I won't complain about Oregon's gun laws. Washington is by far more restrictive.

I was in Coeur d'Alene about 20 years ago, so yes, I can only imagine it changed. Actually, I was living in Pullman for a year, so we made frequent trips to CDA and Spokane at the time, because Pullman was a real no-mans land back then and probably still is a no-mans land. From my memory, CDA was a real pretty and small town and I was always happy to go there because I got to be around trees, a nice change of the hilly prairies of the Palouse. Well, I plan to spend a lot of time in the wilderness, but I am happy that CDA may offer some more amenities. I am sure the growth of the place probably has damaged some of the culture and charm of the town. That is a real shame. I definitely saw how dismayed the locals of Bend, Oregon were due to being overrun by greedy Californians who decided to eat up all the nice properties of that town and send prices skyrocketing.
Yes they did do some things quite a few years ago. They put a bomb at the fed building in Cda and blew a part of it up too. But since Butler died they have really calmed down around here. Sure there are a few gap toothed flag wavers around. But nothing like it was in the eighties. I would agree that if you lived here then you should have been worried. It's just not that way anymore here. Sure they are here. But they are dwindling in numbers. You know with Idaho being the human rights state I don't understand why Marshal Mend and his group does not do a parade of their own in celebration of diversity? I think a lot of people would get behind it. I went to every one of their parades. They were a joke. The people on the sides Sherman Ave were a bigger group than they were. At times I think the cops were there to save them from the community. One of my buddies stole their sign from in front of their compound and burned it. They have always had resistance here to their teachings. No one wants them here. And truth be known they lived in Garwood not Hayden.

I have met and run into the Aryan Nation members over the years. They are not the smartest cookies in the barrel. And a lot of them do not really know what the Nazis were up to. I remember one guy in particular I got mad at me because I pointed out that by Hitlers standards he did not cut it. He had dark brown eyes and black hair. I told him that if Hitler would have won the war he would not be here. I told him he better get more acquainted with what he was preaching. I told him that he was impure. That he was non Aryan. He yelled some insults back. But he knew I was right. The next time I saw them they avoided me. I met Mr Butler too on a few occasions. I had a cabinet shop in Hayden and they needed some rally signs made for their parade. We declined to make his shields for the parade. We told him we were too busy. I went to the parade to see, and their shields looked like some inexperienced kid cut them out. Very poor job for the supposed chosen race lol.

The Jewish defense league leader was very agitated when I saw him at the rally. He should have known that you can't yell at or make a scene with them because they don't care. They want you to argue with them. They can't hold up to logical reasoning. To fight them with words is the only way, to show how ridiculous they are. The last time I checked it was the Nazis that killed 10 million plus people not the Jewish community. It's obvious that the Nazi party was evil. And anyone following their teachings and saying that they are christian cannot be. Jesus would never tolerate such things being a Jew himself. Religion is about peace not war.

I was in camo when we got shot at. I was not wearing orange. I was partially to blame. But growing up around here most of us never wear orange. There were never that many guys hunting out there then to worry about. Now there are a lot of people hunting the same areas. A lot of the places I used to go to hunt the roads are closed. They planted trees in the road so you cant even ride a bicycle in there now. Or horse if you don't clear the trail. So more people hunt a lot of the same spots. Or they camp right at the trail heads acting like they can keep you off of a mountain. It's those hunters that worry me. I walked by some guys a few years ago that had some harsh words for me. I decided to avoid these guys and hunt elsewhere.

The fernan club is a nice one. And so is the cda gun club. I really wish the farragut shooting range would be reopened. It was free if you had a park pass. And has long distance shooting there. It got shut down but they are fighting it. It used to be a shooting range for the military. Been there for over 50 years. But there is nothing like going to your spot for a nice shooting session alone. But the forest service has shut down most of the places we used to go shoot in the woods. So you have to go deeper into the woods. Problem is a lot of others are doing the same thing. There are a lot more people dragging their trash around. I try to pick up what I can when I am out there. Problem is for every thing you grab there is always more the next day. In the summer I spend an average of three days a week riding my dirt bike in the woods. Been just about everywhere you can go around here taking photos. There is a fire tower that is being slowly ruined by vandals that I like to go take photos in. You can see Hayden Lake perfectly from up there. And at night it's so calm and beautiful. There is nothing like it. And once it falls that view is gone forever.

Here is a link to the Spokane temples I could find online.
Synagogues in Spokane - Shuls in Spokane - Jewish Temples in Spokane

And their is one in Cda too. Beth Shalom Messianic Jewish Community - Home

As far as I can tell there is nothing here to worry about. Yes I am white and I have blond hair and blue eyes. But I think that if you came up here for a visit you would see that their is nothing to fear from these guys. And that the community at large would support you. But we both know that when the chips are down you gotta save yourself. It's why I always carry a gun and a knife. Even in North Idaho we have crazy people.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Since you have not seen the place in twenty years here is a night photo from Canfield Mountain. When I used to go up to this very spot twenty years ago there was a giant dark spot between Post falls and cda. It's gone now. And off in the distance you can see the Spokane Valley.

This is a photo from the fire tower I was talking about. This would be hayden lake below.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/efrommphoto/DSC_0079.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I really don't need to look things up on CDF for proof. I live in the area, and am well versed in local happenings.

You are correct. Those two have happened recently. You claimed things happen almost monthly, and also mentioned parades and other pseudo demonstrations. Parades, in particular, haven't happened for about 10 years. Thus my mentioning the items you listed have happened over a period of 10 years. Actually, I think the last parade was about 12 years ago.

If things happen nearly monthly, you should have no problem listing 9 or 10 items that happened in 2010. Just to be sporting, I'll even mention one more incident that happened in 2010 (I think, maybe 2009). Some racist propaganda was distributed. That leaves you just 7 more incidents to find if you wish to back up your "almost once a month" claim.

I understand you hear stories. I get that. Myself and other north Idahoans are sick of being tarnished by stories resulting from incidents that happened a long time ago. Incidents we fought to stop, and are not common to the area.
Keim !!! ... Good onya !

Indeed ... These "Chinese Whispers" spread around by so many chaps tend to stir up some barmy rumors !!!

Understandable your a bit hacked off !

Cheerio / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM

898 posts, read 827,647 times
MrSmith, I live in the other end of the state, not CDA. And yes, I have a family but we are far closer to Boise than CDA.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,175 times
Default America 2011 & Still Standing !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
Yes they did do some things quite a few years ago. They put a bomb at the fed building in Cda and blew a part of it up too. But since Butler died they have really calmed down around here. Sure there are a few gap toothed flag wavers around. But nothing like it was in the eighties. I would agree that if you lived here then you should have been worried. It's just not that way anymore here. Sure they are here. But they are dwindling in numbers. You know with Idaho being the human rights state I don't understand why Marshal Mend and his group does not do a parade of their own in celebration of diversity? I think a lot of people would get behind it. I went to every one of their parades. They were a joke. The people on the sides Sherman Ave were a bigger group than they were. At times I think the cops were there to save them from the community. One of my buddies stole their sign from in front of their compound and burned it. They have always had resistance here to their teachings. No one wants them here. And truth be known they lived in Garwood not Hayden.

I have met and run into the Aryan Nation members over the years. They are not the smartest cookies in the barrel. And a lot of them do not really know what the Nazis were up to. I remember one guy in particular I got mad at me because I pointed out that by Hitlers standards he did not cut it. He had dark brown eyes and black hair. I told him that if Hitler would have won the war he would not be here. I told him he better get more acquainted with what he was preaching. I told him that he was impure. That he was non Aryan. He yelled some insults back. But he knew I was right. The next time I saw them they avoided me. I met Mr Butler too on a few occasions. I had a cabinet shop in Hayden and they needed some rally signs made for their parade. We declined to make his shields for the parade. We told him we were too busy. I went to the parade to see, and their shields looked like some inexperienced kid cut them out. Very poor job for the supposed chosen race lol.

The Jewish defense league leader was very agitated when I saw him at the rally. He should have known that you can't yell at or make a scene with them because they don't care. They want you to argue with them. They can't hold up to logical reasoning. To fight them with words is the only way, to show how ridiculous they are. The last time I checked it was the Nazis that killed 10 million plus people not the Jewish community. It's obvious that the Nazi party was evil. And anyone following their teachings and saying that they are christian cannot be. Jesus would never tolerate such things being a Jew himself. Religion is about peace not war.

I was in camo when we got shot at. I was not wearing orange. I was partially to blame. But growing up around here most of us never wear orange. There were never that many guys hunting out there then to worry about. Now there are a lot of people hunting the same areas. A lot of the places I used to go to hunt the roads are closed. They planted trees in the road so you cant even ride a bicycle in there now. Or horse if you don't clear the trail. So more people hunt a lot of the same spots. Or they camp right at the trail heads acting like they can keep you off of a mountain. It's those hunters that worry me. I walked by some guys a few years ago that had some harsh words for me. I decided to avoid these guys and hunt elsewhere.

The fernan club is a nice one. And so is the cda gun club. I really wish the farragut shooting range would be reopened. It was free if you had a park pass. And has long distance shooting there. It got shut down but they are fighting it. It used to be a shooting range for the military. Been there for over 50 years. But there is nothing like going to your spot for a nice shooting session alone. But the forest service has shut down most of the places we used to go shoot in the woods. So you have to go deeper into the woods. Problem is a lot of others are doing the same thing. There are a lot more people dragging their trash around. I try to pick up what I can when I am out there. Problem is for every thing you grab there is always more the next day. In the summer I spend an average of three days a week riding my dirt bike in the woods. Been just about everywhere you can go around here taking photos. There is a fire tower that is being slowly ruined by vandals that I like to go take photos in. You can see Hayden Lake perfectly from up there. And at night it's so calm and beautiful. There is nothing like it. And once it falls that view is gone forever.

Here is a link to the Spokane temples I could find online.
Synagogues in Spokane - Shuls in Spokane - Jewish Temples in Spokane

And their is one in Cda too. Beth Shalom Messianic Jewish Community - Home

As far as I can tell there is nothing here to worry about. Yes I am white and I have blond hair and blue eyes. But I think that if you came up here for a visit you would see that their is nothing to fear from these guys. And that the community at large would support you. But we both know that when the chips are down you gotta save yourself. It's why I always carry a gun and a knife. Even in North Idaho we have crazy people.
ejay !!!! ... On The Money !

There is great logic in your post subject matter !

And yet ... the Neo-NAZI folks appear to be very much in evidence in today's America !

Perhaps the infatuation with and the incredible interest in the German National Socialists Movement from 1933 -1945 remains alive and well in 2011 !

In America we are often informed by the liberal folks that many mates are continuing their efforts to revive the old Confederate States of America and the "Old South Life Style" of the 1860's , Confederates and such !

The white folks appear to receive the "Full Monty" of the blame for shady involvement in such efforts to forcibly re-establish such drastic political and ideological changes upon others of different races who just happen to be within the same country! What ?

It appears that within the America of 2011 it's truly takes all types of so called formidable movements or groups to balance out the numbers and motives of the other seemingly sinister ones ...

Now that Blonde Hair ... Blue Hair Aryan concept of the mid 1930's appears to have been so incredibly appealing in its time that it's in principle with us to this very day !

Upon further consideration it's absolutely fascinating how the American People can continue to function as a United Nation under the influence of so many opposing mindsets !

Ere now mates ... before you go bonkers over me post content, give further thought to the above ^ paragraph !

Actual history accounts have provided the facts in the matter of the NAZI's ... Germany was defeated in 1945 but the Nazis weren't !
They simply gathered up their wealth and their key mates and moved to different parts of the globe and set up shop !

Indeed ... We should not be so shocked or horrified to learn that the Nazis, Neo-Nazis and National Socialists appear to be alive and well among us in the here and now !

One may accurately deduce that America is without a doubt a divided nation ... many camps and many flags !

How much longer we may hold together as a united nation of American Citizens is anyones guess !

Cheerio / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 01-23-2011, 01:12 PM

We truly are a fractured country! We have become so by design. Even today blacks and whites cannot live together. We separate ourselves and then call the other one bad. We say that the other cannot understand. It's like your child telling you that you just don't understand? It's so laughable to me. Of course I understand. I have felt emotions just as any other human. We act as if we are so different from the past. But are we? I see us standing by while others are persecuted in this very country. I see the prisons full of people who's only real crime is that their child hood was corrupted by fear. That the environments they grew up in gave them no other decision but to be a criminal. And once convicted of a crime there fate is sealed to be a criminal for life, because no one will hire a felon.

I see a lot of felons running the banks. Except their government is not going to prosecute them. Tax evaders are running the show. And here we sit as we watch our country slowly fall around us. The things that we should hold dear have been slowly taken from us. As Americans we prided ourselves on hard work. We invented all kinds of useful technology. Yes I will agree that we could have done it better. That was up to that generation to straighten it out. They never did so here we are. Are we willing to straighten it out? Are we ready to look at ourselves and see what we really are? Are we willing to forgive ourselves and our neighbors. And then remember that we are Americans first. That nothing matters without our country. With out our fellow American doing what he is capable of doing we are lost. That we need every kind of person doing what it is that they do best doing it. That it is the people of America that hold our future in our hands.

We are not democrat's or republicans we are Americans first. We are a nation of laws. And that no man is above the law. That every person is responsible for their own actions. That we try our best to do no harm. And if we do we admit it and resolve the situation and move on. That we speak for ourselves. That we are a republic. That the individuals rights rule over the majority. We have been propagandized to believe that we are a democracy. WE ARE NOT! Their is a huge difference! And that difference has led us here to this place where common sense has been turned upside down. The wrong is right and the right and good are penalized by society for being so. By those who do not want to see who they are. If they did they would have to change their hearts. It's this stubbornness this I am more important than you are attitude that is tearing us apart. I see it every day. There is no cooperation no national pride. Even the public servants think they do not work for us. Look at how they arrest and mock you openly. And how the rest of society turns on you once you have been arrested.

These are becoming treacherous times indeed. People have forgotten that it is their fellow man working at the sewer plant that makes it possible to flush a toilet. Or the sanitation worker who hauls off your garbage is doing you a favor. Looking down on your fellow man, what good will that bring. We all have family. We all have dreams. But without this country we have nothing. I am tired of seeing America's good name be run down. Yes we have done some horrible things in the past. But that was what that generation has done. We are the new blood of this country. We do not have to keep doing what was done in the past. We can strive to do better. To learn and develop a new America. One that will keep the promises of the constitution. A country where the wrongs will be righted. That justice will be served no matter what the cost. That personal freedom is respected, not removed. Where the government works for the people not against it.

We have been duped into letting our jobs go over seas. Why don't we need steel mills and lumber mills? Why do we not need manufacturing? Why have we dismantled our war machine? Is the world all safe and getting along? Only fools would think that they are safe with china building up an army. We watched Hitler build up Germany and the world hoped that nothing would happen. So what happened? WW2 Happened. If we had to defend ourselves what would we do? Does your young man know how too shoot a gun? Does he know of going outdoors? Is he fit? Look at the Chinese young people. Focused and disciplined. Who do you think will win a war of wit and muscle? We have given up in this country. And that is just what they want. So that we will hand over our freedom and our country. We will hand it over because we will have too. There will be nothing left. Look at how many big corporations are doing business in China today. They are not investing in America. They are abandoning her. And we should abandon them by not buying their products.

It's time to place the blame where it squarely stands. America it's our fault and as citizens we have failed you. We are ashamed and we see that we need to do too build you back up. To create the dream of our fore fathers. To restore this land and right the wrongs. To protect you and serve you. Because with out you we have nothing left. No peace. No freedom. No America.

The division of this country must end...

Old 01-23-2011, 03:27 PM

129 posts, read 583,847 times
Ejay.. Thanks for both of your posts. I think you have explained the situation very well there in CDA. Well, there is no safe place in this world. I also agree with you wholeheartedly about the situation in this country. America really is a divided nation and so many people these days thinks its real cool or acceptable to hate America and being an American. This is the only country I have ever seen where people love to hate it. Everyone other country I see, the people are proud of their country and of the their heritage.

Actually, it seems that you and me really think quite alike with everything you said. Americans have always been a bit naive since the First World War and it took catastrophic events, like Pearl Harbor to wake them up and mobilize to defend their nation and the world. Hitler and the Japanese possibly could have become superpowers, had the USA kept stagnant and isolated, as they did in the beginning of WWII. We can never forget our heritage and how the nation was born out of fighting against oppression and tyranny. People are very gullible and like to live in a false reality that tyrants and evil men will cease to exist on the Earth. These men (and women) will keep coming and we have to be ready to deal with them.

My Jewish ancestors in Europe are a good example of how evil and barbaric humans can be to other humans. For instance, my grandfather came from a village in Belarus which was exterminated by the nazis. Women and children were forced to dig their own graves and then shot and buried in the grave. Babies were shot in their mothers arms and some buried alive. WHat happened to my relatives is a great example to me why I and my children (whenever I have them) should be trained with a gun and why a nation must be mobilized and ready to defend itself against catastrophe and tyrannical narcissists that will always abound on the Earth.

YOur last post, especially, I could not say any of it better than you have. I think about this everyday and is another reason I want to leave Liberaland, Oregon. The people here are so naive, but I know its not limited to just liberals or to just Oregon. Like you say, people are divided and against one another. The bureaucrats , bankers and other criminals up the ladder are enriching themselves at the expense of the nation and people. I did humanitarian work in Africa, so I got to watch firsthand how government officials suck the people dry to empower themselves. The same thing happens in the USA, but at a higher-level and in a more inconspicuous manner.

BTW.. Those are beautiful pics of CDA area you posted. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:13 PM

No problem on the pics. Words will never be able to explain or relate the amount of human loss the holocaust caused. I am glad they were able to escape the grips of hell. My family too fled from Germany and came to New York to start a new life in America. Actually both sides did. My great great grandfather's father sold everything he had so his son could get here. And because of that I am now here. It's good to know and understand your family's past. It really makes you appreciate the fact that you are alive. We are only here because are ancestors survived. It definately makes me appreciate being alive.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Gentlemen,

We need to draw back to the specific topic, or this becomes a political thread. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho