Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times

Advertisements

In the mid 90's when we moved here it was impossible for us to get a job so we started our own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I know where not to look for a job: the Smelterville, ID, Wal*Mart. We moved in to Kellogg, ID, from Elko, NV, and my wife just transferred to the Smelterville Wal*Mart. She is going to do maintenance work for them. She asked about our son getting a cashier job there and the answer was that there is a year and a half waiting list for cashiering.

Little turnover there at Smelterville because they treat their employees well was the main reason for the tiny turnover rate.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
What saccharine blather you spew. The man cannot find a job and you write this!
Yes, and neither have I, but I assure you that when I do find my semi "forever" job it will be in great part to my POSITIVE ATTITUDE and High Spirits, and not because of the pessimism and depression that one can so easily fall prey to when suffering from long-term unemployment in this market. For the love of god, the fellow still has internet access, I've known and seen FAR worse....

Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
IMO to find a good job in Boise is a lot about who you know. That's really was the secret to how we were able to find good employment here. As I stated before, we were unable to find unemployment when we moved here from So. CA so we shared a business with some of my relatives who were able to help us. Also, it gave us time to get to know some of the locals and network back into the high tech industry. So much of it is who you know, timing and luck. We have had to move out of state (Seattle) to stay employed, we returned to Boise and now we have to move out of state (Denver) again.... which we are thrilled about btw....Boise is a tough place to find employment and stay employed..Hang in there!!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:20 AM

I was in a meeting yesterday where the difference between me and the other attendees, well one difference at least, is that I am going into places and striking up conversations with folks about how they like working there...I'm also actively distributing my cv and telling perfect strangers about my job search....the other difference, I'm getting interviews. Best advice, be dressed to interview, be good in your own skin, and HAVE A POSTIVE, CAN DO ATTITUDE!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Another tip, I carry a couple of extra file folders everywhere I go, with my name on the tab, my cv and all appropriate references inside. If you have not already started, go back and hunt down everyone you ever worked for who is willing to say good things, get it in writing if you can, and whether you get it in writing or not, get their current contact info. Another tool is the online application, I used the Idaho HR applicant site to compile every detail of almost every job I've held, then print it out...just being able to identify where you worked 20 years ago, with current contact info, is pretty impressive.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Other great stuff I've learned from working with a job coach:

1. Instead of saying reason for separation (in my case, terminated after reporting employers illegal activity, twice in a row) say "Job Ended." Then, in interview, talk about all the positive stuff you did and learned, and let the scum employer dig their own grave....the very reasons for my termination actually make me ideal candidate for my dream career of fraud detection ; )

2. Criminal history: instead of answering in plain English, answer in code - ie the exact code violation, numeric. Safeguards your confidentiality, reduces stigma, and one less potential obstacle to getting an interview.

3. If you smoke, for heaven's sake, bathe and don't smoke before any interviews! Buy nicotine products if you have to!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM

OP: Are you still looking for a job?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:39 AM

My update: I got hired in February with a company I love working for, full benefits, awesome corp culture, great communication, clear expectations, bonus programs, etc etc. I even get to use a skill I love but have never really been paid for. About time!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 19,634 times
Have you checked into jobs in pocatello?

Hoku is opening this summer and currently hiring. They manufacture polysilicone chips

Careers at Hoku

allstate is also opening up a 500 person call center - maybe look in to management?

https://allstate.taleo.net/careersec...moresearch.ftl

there are also a few more companies that haven't announced that are in engineering/manufacturing that are coming in, I believe.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho