Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times

Advertisements

Idaho is not a prime spot for national TV or Movie production. Perhaps the ID legislature can bring on some incentives. Probably not high priority, but can be quite lucrative, for what it's worth.

BTW, parts of Marilyn Monroe's "Bus Stop" were filmed in Sun Valley, the bomb "Heaven's Gate" in Wallace, ID, and don't get me started with "My Own Private Idaho", which did not shoot in Idaho at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 PM

39 posts, read 100,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hey, thanks for the links! I just watched the Jan.20 "Home on the Range" episode! "Where men can talk about what to wear, and women talk about their guns!" Love it!
That's the exact episode I watched, CFF!! I loved it as well! That one cowboy poet had that authentic cowboy voice, huh? Haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Idaho is not a prime spot for national TV or Movie production. Perhaps the ID legislature can bring on some incentives. Probably not high priority, but can be quite lucrative, for what it's worth.

BTW, parts of Marilyn Monroe's "Bus Stop" were filmed in Sun Valley, the bomb "Heaven's Gate" in Wallace, ID, and don't get me started with "My Own Private Idaho", which did not shoot in Idaho at all!
Yes, I've been noticing that.. Idaho is as understated on TV as it everwhere else. Pretty much the only shows on Idaho I've seen are on the Hunt & Game channels! -_- Another Idaho "show" I've seen is the Great Idaho Getaway where they took a family from Seattle and did a 10-day roadtrip starting in Boise and going all the way up to Sandpoint. I liked it because they really showed you a lot of the state. The only thing is that they stayed on the beaten path the whole time, and as we know, the best sights are off of the beaten path. But since they were with a family with youncg children, it was understandable.

http://www.greatidahogetaway.org/

Old 01-31-2011, 08:51 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post

Look for the movie "Smoke Signals," filmed partly on location in Plummer and Spokane. Very charming story! I talked with the manager of the Warpath store in Plummer a few years ago; she had been involved with the movie production, and told us all about the locations. At the time the Warpath was up the hill in what is now the community center, I believe. Now it's right on 95.

Also, I think "Dante's Peak" was filmed in Wallace. And then of course there's Clint Eastwood's "Pale Rider" north of Ketchum. We had a great thread where several posters combined their efforts and found the exact location:
Location hunting for Eastwood's "Pale Rider"

Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 PM

107 posts, read 298,870 times
I'm going to second CFF's recommendation of Smoke Signals. Awesome movie, beautiful scenery. Those overhead shots of the bus heading south totally take your breath away! And if you have the inclination look for any of Sherman Alexi's books. He's an amazing writer.

And Outdoor Idaho absolutely rocks. I don't know how long they've been at it, 25 years or so, but it never gets old.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:38 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Don't forget the great "Napoleon Dynamite"!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 PM

39 posts, read 100,682 times
Oh was Napoleon Dynamite filmed in Idaho? Haha.. I didn't know that and I've seen it hundreds of times! Wikipedia says it was filmed in Southeastern Idaho, right next to the Utah border.. the entire movie was filmed in Idaho! =O
I will def have to rent Smoke Signals and Pale Rider and see how I like em!
And I've actually been waiting for Dante's Peak for quite a while from Netflix.. but I thought that it was filmed in Washington? Or at least most of it anyway..

Old 01-31-2011, 04:45 PM

107 posts, read 298,870 times
I think Dante's Peak was pretty much filmed up by Wallace. I know there's an old newspaper article hanging in a bar in Wallace where the woman who was the lead in the movie (sorry, her name escapes me) tended bar one night. And downtown Wallace is pretty recognizable no matter the setting.

And Napoleon Dynamite, jeez my kids, who were born and raised here, think that is just the funniest thing ever. I don't get it. But I don't think I'm supposed to. Vote for Pedro? Please!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 PM

278 posts, read 906,283 times
Here's an old article about movies filmed in the Sun Valley area:

idaho mountain express : Sun Valley films: A match made in celluloid heaven :* December 18 - 23, 2002

Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInIdaho View Post
I think Dante's Peak was pretty much filmed up by Wallace. I know there's an old newspaper article hanging in a bar in Wallace where the woman who was the lead in the movie (sorry, her name escapes me) tended bar one night. And downtown Wallace is pretty recognizable no matter the setting.
The woman is Linda Hamilton, of Terminator fame. The "city" scenes were in Wallace, the store that Hamilton ran was up the N. Fork of the CDA river, by where the first bridge crosses. It's been moved, I think to the far side of the river at Fat Albert's campground. That bridge was featured in the show too. There are some cool scenes looking down towards Wallace or Osburn (I need to watch the show again) from a popular viewpoint on the divide.

There are always these guys: http://208filmproductions.com/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho