Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 61,937 times

Advertisements

My daughter and SIL are in school in Eugene, Oregon and I am in Texas. Once they graduate they want to move and they want to stay out west. I'll move to be closer to them.

What area in Idaho has jobs, affordable housing, and a good quality of life?

What they want: Jobs (accountant, park service), scenery, four seasons, proximity to outdoor activities like hiking and biking, dog friendly environment.

What I want: good churches besides LDS, decent economy so I can find a job or open a business, affordable housing so that I can eventually afford to retire without living on cat food...

Last edited by springlady; 07-30-2007 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,219,702 times
It sounds have if the kids have chosen careers where they can be employed in either state as both have a need for accountants and there are state and national parks in both states.

Having said that, while Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, they more than make up for it in property taxes.

As far as your concerned, how close are you to retirement and how's your retirement account looking? That in it's self might determine whether you choose Oregon or Idaho. If it looks like you might be in need of some public programs in your retirement, then examine what both states have to offer.

Even if one of you were to choose Oregon and the other Idaho you could quite possibly arrange it to where you're within a day's drive of the each other.

I know in my mom's case she gets better aid here than she did in CA.

You can get into a good church be it a specific denomination or non-denomination in Idaho, including southeast Idaho

Have you had the chance to visit either area? Once you narrow it down to a state, you'll then have to pick the region in that state you want which I know here in Idaho can vary in a large way

Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 AM

Default details

Thanks for the reply, Cleosmom.

Kids love Bend/Redmond/Sisters and Ashland/Medford/Grants Pass. I like them both but cringe at the housing prices and lack of jobs. I'd probably open another furniture store in Idaho but Oregon's too far to transport the furniture I sell - plus I think that people have to spend so much on their houses that they might not have enough left for expensive furniture.

They've been to Boise and liked it. Daughter has a couple of years left in school and would like to stay in Oregon because of out-of-state fees, my feeling is that the big difference in housing costs between OR and ID will MORE than compensate for losing a couple thousand in fees!

I have ten years before social security but like working so I'm not worried about a retirement date - I just don't want to get over my head with a ridiculous mortgage at my age. And my retirement account is slim. I'm self-employed - it'll be the cash out on my business when I'm ready to stop working.

We hopt to be relocating in about a year so we're looking at options.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:30 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,219,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springlady View Post
Thanks for the reply, Cleosmom.

Kids love Bend/Redmond/Sisters and Ashland/Medford/Grants Pass. I like them both but cringe at the housing prices and lack of jobs. I'd probably open another furniture store in Idaho but Oregon's too far to transport the furniture I sell - plus I think that people have to spend so much on their houses that they might not have enough left for expensive furniture.

They've been to Boise and liked it. Daughter has a couple of years left in school and would like to stay in Oregon because of out-of-state fees, my feeling is that the big difference in housing costs between OR and ID will MORE than compensate for losing a couple thousand in fees!

I have ten years before social security but like working so I'm not worried about a retirement date - I just don't want to get over my head with a ridiculous mortgage at my age. And my retirement account is slim. I'm self-employed - it'll be the cash out on my business when I'm ready to stop working.

We hopt to be relocating in about a year so we're looking at options.
I can appreciate your daughter wanting to remain OR to avoid out of state fees. You could possibly settle in western ID and still be within a reasonable drive of them if they stayed in OR. Does she have to attend OR schools or can she glean the same education here in ID?

Can I ask what type of furniture? If you wish you can send me a PM (private message), I'm simply curious as I'm friends with someone who owns a specialty type store here in SE Idaho and another location in Jackson Hole, WY.

Your housing will be cheaper in south central and south east Idaho than it would be in western ID.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Pm

I sent you a PM, please let me know if you don't get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho