U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:47 PM

44 posts, read 116,577 times
Default Moscow ID versus Pullman WA - comparisons needed please!

Hello all!

My husband will be retiring from the Coast Guard in about 18 months and we're researching "retirement" places. We have 3 young children (6, 5, and 2) so schools are important, along with a strong economy for employment. That military retirement check just isn't gonna cut it for all of our expenses...we'll need to supplement our income. I plan to go back to school for nursing and I'm pretty sure both WSU and UI offer nursing schools (can anyone verify this?)
Can anyone offer a comparison of the 2 cities?? I know they are only 10 miles apart, but are there benefits to living in one state over the other (taxes, schools, community, etc)? Thanks in advance for your insight!!

Heather

PS....I'll post this in the Idaho forum too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 10:09 PM

3,957 posts, read 6,617,360 times
Sure...

Washington State has no state income tax. They do have a high sales tax.

Idaho uses a combo sales tax/income tax.

Pullman's WSU is bigger than Moscow's U of I.

Both cities are smallish.

Both cities totally cater to the University crowd.

You can easily work in one and commute to the other.

Pullman is a little more hilly, Moscow, while flatter, has better mountain vistas.

Air service is poor. Spokane is the nearest flight hub.

Cost of living...pretty close, but probably slightly higher in WA.

Bottom line, both HUGE college towns. Pullman may be somewhat more urban only because of so many students moving over from the Puget Sound region.

Sorry, don't know about the schools and employment opps, but my educated guess would be they are similar.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,419,910 times
Washington has a significantly higher minimum wage- nearly $8 per hour (the highest in the nation) compared with Idaho's $5. (!) I don't live there, but we have a similar minimum wage in AK and it's really driven up our prices for everything, thus cost of living is probably higher in WA. Neither WA or ID have great schools, I believe Washington's are probably a little better- BUT I would guess that the difference isn't substantial and most likely varies from district to district...
Pullman does have an airport (PUW) with flights to Seattle (SEA), but it's going to cost you- $230 roundtrip to Seattle compared to $130 from Spokane (GEG). However, figure in the ridiculously high cost of gas we have up North for the drive and you might just come out even...!

Moscow has this great creamery...

Old 07-24-2007, 12:55 PM

47 posts, read 162,086 times
I have to admit that I am a Moscow fan right off the bat, but Pullman is a great little town also. I really don't think that you will see much of a difference in the communities, since they are both college towns. This can be positive and negative, depending on what your looking for. Since you're going back to college and have children you will be involved in two different communites (college life/real life). True locals relish the summer (I really miss the Palouse in the summer), which brings a smaller town atmosphere, and when school starts up you can really feel the pace and energy increase.

As for schooling for your children you'll most likely have better schools in Washington (better pay). That being said I know that Moscow uses the University as an asset (college of education), and I can only assume that Pullman does the same.

Employment will be agriculturally/college based for both communities. Other than that there really isn't much else going on.

I don't think that UofI offers nursing.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM

396 posts, read 1,142,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Sure...

Washington State has no state income tax. They do have a high sales tax.

Idaho uses a combo sales tax/income tax.

Pullman's WSU is bigger than Moscow's U of I.

Both cities are smallish.

Both cities totally cater to the University crowd.

You can easily work in one and commute to the other.

Pullman is a little more hilly, Moscow, while flatter, has better mountain vistas.

Air service is poor. Spokane is the nearest flight hub.

Cost of living...pretty close, but probably slightly higher in WA.

Bottom line, both HUGE college towns. Pullman may be somewhat more urban only because of so many students moving over from the Puget Sound region.

Sorry, don't know about the schools and employment opps, but my educated guess would be they are similar.

What a great post!

We lived in Moscow when we were in graduate school at WSU. We chose Moscow because we had a little boy and liked the more family-friendly atmosphere that Moscow provided. Moscow is a really fun town to have kids in. My very good friend was the vp at McDonald elementary. If you are in to public schools...that's the one you want your kids at. The nice thing about schools in both communities is that they get tons of students from the universities working off hours and that means lots of extra adults teaching the kids. Great churches in both communities too. My husband longs to go back to Moscow. FYI...in case you like private schools, the flagship classic school "Logos" resides in Moscow. Good luck. Either town is great.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 PM

25 posts, read 91,518 times
I used to live in Moscow and loved it. It is a great place to raise kids and I wish we still lived there!!! Pullman is also very nice. Moscow has more of a family feel to me. Moscow has a farmers market every Saturday during the summer. WSU has a nursing program, but the last two years are in Spokane (a 90 minute drive). They are expanding the highway between Moscow and Pullman and it is very easy to live in one town and work in the other. I would move back in a heartbeat if I could. Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:09 PM

20 posts, read 94,141 times
As others have already commented, the Moscow/Pullman area is spectacular. One thing to mention is that, if you move to this area, you will likely be traveling back and forth between the two towns. For example, the "mall" (if you can actually call it that) is in Moscow, not in Pullman. Someone has already mentioned the differences in taxes between the two towns, which might be one of the biggest factors to keep in mind. Also, at last glance, there isn't a nursing program at U of I.

As for the two towns, I think they are quite different, although I completely love both of them. For example, Moscow is one of the most liberal towns in ID, whereas Pullman is much more conservative. If you are looking for the food co-op and the Farmer's Market, as well as recreation at Moscow Mountain, then Moscow is the place to go. Pullman has a brand new hospital and movie theater, but a nice downtown area that doesn't necessarily feel like that of a college town.

If you'll be traveling up to Spokane, then living in Pullman would be more convenient than Moscow. Prices of houses have increased dramatically in Pullman over the past few years, but there are some nice places outside of Pullman that might not be so expensive. I lived in both Albion and Colfax while I was in graduate school at WSU, and I enjoyed living in both towns quite a bit. (Most of what I enjoyed about living in Albion and Colfax was the proximity to outdoor activities; there is very little to do in Colfax, and absolutely nothing to do in Albion though!)

What I really wanted to get across in this post is that, regardless of whether you choose to live in Moscow or Pullman, you should plan on going back and forth to take advantage of the activities in both towns. It will be easy for you to have the best of both worlds.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:45 PM

44 posts, read 116,577 times
Thanks so much for such great info. We're hoping to visit that area possibly this fall to check it out.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 PM

33 posts, read 115,273 times
Moscow feels slightly smaller, but most of the shopping is in Idaho. One thing I am disappointed about the Moscow Pullman area is the lack of a sears, target and fred meyer. And the highway between the two!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:37 PM

47 posts, read 162,086 times
"I am disappointed about the Moscow Pullman area is the lack of a sears, target and fred meyer. And the highway between the two!"

Personally, I find this refreshing. Moscow and Pullman still retain the small town feeling (privately owned business'), while many area's in this country are run by these chain stores. Personality goes a long way in a city/town, and suberbia type stores (Target/Walmart) crush this feeling. Just my point of view, though. By the way Sears has (or was) been in Moscow for at least 15 years, it's in the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho