Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM

7,366 posts, read 12,616,013 times

Advertisements

Countryway, If you go to Google Earth you'll see something very interesting: Lots of farming around Boise and along the Snake River, but the further south/SE you go, the more you'll see signs of irrigation--the same circular green fields you may remember from AZ, and everywhere else is brown. That should tell you something about the climate! Travel up along I84 to 95: generally the fields become more square. Look at all the farming/ranching areas around New Meadows and between Grangeville and Winchester (roughly), and above Lewiston all the way to Potlatch and further--no round irrigated fields! My impression of the 95 corridor above Grangeville is long stretches of lovely fields/ranch land interrupted by hills and mountains, and dotted with trees the further north you go, before you get into the North Idaho woods. The climate is a bit milder than NID, and for a semi-big city within a couple of hours drive you have Spokane, WA. All along 95 you have little towns which, traveling through, seem like generally nice places to live. (I'm sure they have their problems, but my impression, traveling through, is positive.) There also seem to be churches in each town; if you look for the "White Bird" thread on this forum you'll see that even tiny White Bird has 3-4 churches. (I seem to remember you were looking for a traditional Christian community.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 PM

307 posts, read 978,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Countryway, If you go to Google Earth you'll see something very interesting: Lots of farming around Boise and along the Snake River, but the further south/SE you go, the more you'll see signs of irrigation--the same circular green fields you may remember from AZ, and everywhere else is brown. That should tell you something about the climate! Travel up along I84 to 95: generally the fields become more square. Look at all the farming/ranching areas around New Meadows and between Grangeville and Winchester (roughly), and above Lewiston all the way to Potlatch and further--no round irrigated fields! My impression of the 95 corridor above Grangeville is long stretches of lovely fields/ranch land interrupted by hills and mountains, and dotted with trees the further north you go, before you get into the North Idaho woods. The climate is a bit milder than NID, and for a semi-big city within a couple of hours drive you have Spokane, WA. All along 95 you have little towns which, traveling through, seem like generally nice places to live. (I'm sure they have their problems, but my impression, traveling through, is positive.) There also seem to be churches in each town; if you look for the "White Bird" thread on this forum you'll see that even tiny White Bird has 3-4 churches. (I seem to remember you were looking for a traditional Christian community.)
I appreciate your advice very much. I cannot use Google earth, but I can tell what you are talking about through the regular Google Map with it set to terrain. I will look into the areas you mentioned, however my biggest concer there would be how remote the towns seem. But I suppose Spokane is not too far. I am not too familiar with Northern Idaho. I just know that my Grandfather would not settle our family up there years ago because he felt the Winter was too long and harsh and he could not work year around. Granted that was the 1940s...maybe it has changed up there? Also, my friend almost moved up there but felt similarly, that there was not enough work and the Winters were too long and harsh. I don't know for myself, these are just others opinions.

But the areas you mentioned sound nice and I am going to look into them, thank you as always. Seems like lots of farming? I don't ranch, just farm.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:38 AM

8,456 posts, read 8,691,448 times
CFF gave good advice. If you are considering northern Idaho and farming and want a traditional town with the possibility of nearby music gigs and as warm as possible, I'd especially suggest looking at Lewiston to Orofino. They are among the warmest spots in northern Idaho due to low elevation by the river. If you can take more winter, you could also consider Rathdrum NE of CDA or somewhere in the Potlatch-Moscow-Genessee area. If you can make an area further out and colder work, you could check into Grangeville.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM

307 posts, read 978,699 times
Thanks NW Crow...I am currently looking into the Boise area, and will look into the areas you mentioned. Have heard some awful things about Caldwell and Nampa, though...which has made me very concerned, regarding crime etc. Does anyone know if it really is awful in some of those "country" towns near Boise and what the condition is with Boise/Meridian regarding crime etc? Have been considering Pocatello area now due to the info I received regarding the Boise area. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,667,898 times
Countryway, if you are looking for a conservative area, do NOT look in Pocatello. It used to be conservative, but recently (past 10 years) they have had an influx of extremely liberal move-ins, who are running the political machine and raising taxes hand over feets to pay for their liberal boondoggles.

My brother lives further S and E, and the land there is excellent for farming; there are large ranches as well as potato and grain farms there. The liberals tried to move in there and convert a ranch or two to 10-acre 'mini-farms' and failed miserably. My brother works for several of the farmers there off and on, and the farms grow much of the grains and vegetables that are used by the Mormon Church for their food storage companies.

Yet you would be amazed at what eastern ID has to offer, particularly down around the UT border - lots of rocky hillsides, tumbling streams and rivers - some of the better skiing and snowboarding areas, but lots of trees and good camping. They also have 'benches' where the ancient rivers and glaciers gouged out huge steps in the mountainsides. There are lakes for sporting activities and camping as well. Just 100 short miles SE from my brother's agrarian area you run into rocky pinnacles and huge conifers and other trees that look like they haven't been disturbed since the dinosaurs came through. Idaho is an amazing state; full of dichotomies and changing landscapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho