U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,181 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am trying to find out what the costs are for utilities around the Sandpoint / Sagle area. Not really sure what all the utilties are up there. ie: water, gas, electric, cable, etc. Any help would be wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 PM

143 posts, read 177,013 times
OOh good questions I'm moving my family up to that area as well, hopefully this summer if all go's right. Id be interested in how much those kinds of things cost as well.

I'm a huge nerd and love my internet and online gaming I'm curious about DSL, Cable and Satellite connections, though sat is horrible for gaming with to much ping time.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:03 PM

2,759 posts, read 5,908,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2cme View Post
Hi everyone. I am trying to find out what the costs are for utilities around the Sandpoint / Sagle area. Not really sure what all the utilties are up there. ie: water, gas, electric, cable, etc. Any help would be wonderful.
Depending on where you live, you may have Northern Lights (a co-op) or Avista (utility company). NLI charges Baseline 0-1250 @ $.0595
Over 1250+ @ $.0743.

We use a LOT of power, and only use gas for clothes dryer and cooktop. Heated garage, guest house (we always have people staying with us, probably 3 weeks a month), full business warehouse on the property with staff here 50 hours a week, etc. So our usage is high. Our bills are:
Sept $243
Oct $273
Nov $453
Dec $736
Jan $746
Feb $599
Mar $493
Apr $419
May $369
June $265
Jul $273
Aug $288

We have a 250 gal propane tank. Probably $150 2x a year. And that includes powering my 18Kw backup generator with 400a automatic transfer switch. We have power go out about once every other month in summer, and about once every 3 weeks in winter. Only for 2-6 hours at a time. But the generator uses about 3-5 gph average.

We have well/septic. So the water pump is part of our elect bill. Our water heaters (2) are electric.

We pay $70'ish each time our dumpster is emptied (8 yd), which is about once every 6-7 weeks. Would be cheaper to haul our stuff to the dump, but time is money, and it's not worth it to me.

We have DirecTV at about $75/month with our various sports packages.

I originally had TWO satellite systems one Wild Blue/Gotsky and one HughesNet (house and guest house/shop are too far apart for cat-5 to connect). Gotsky was awful but had great customer service. HughesNet worked better (even in storms/clouds) but they were rude and horrible. But both sucked since latency was AWFUL. Like dialup.

I broke down and had Verizon run residential T1 to my house. $440/month for 1.5-1.8Mbps up and down, ping times around 25-32ms so it's pretty good. I'm a heavy usage internet guy myself. Lots of large files to/from clients/customers. Uptime is outstanding with T1 since it's self powered off the line.

If you live in Sandpoint city you can get DSL in most parts of town. Or in certain areas you can get InterMax wireless (line of sight RF) from atop Baldy and Schweitzer, which is also very fast broadband. I don't know the cost. I was out of their coverage area, so it was a moot point for me.

I have a Sprint MiFi mobile hotspot for when I travel, and it works very well around town with 150-400Kbps down and about 80-100Kbps up. If I go to CDA where there's better data coverage I get about 1.5-2.0Mbps down and about 120Kbps up with the MiFi.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,181 times
Default Hi Sage

Thank you for the great info. Why does the power go out so much? Is it windy?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 AM

2,109 posts, read 3,100,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2cme View Post
We are in the City in a modest 1700sf home. Per month charges
Water & Sewage: $50-$150
Gas: $40-$80
Electricity: $30 - $240

Variation due to (a) seasons, (b) guests, and (c) our travel habits.

We are careful on water use in the winter--when rest of year sewage baseline is set. We are also not huge water users by design (lazy at times though). Thermostat is digital. Max during day is 68*, min during day is 60*. These settings change. Never once cranked thermostat beyond 70*.

We have no cable. Internet & digital phone through cable is $90/mo. Not great, but it does the trick.

Hope that helps.
S.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM

34 posts, read 48,825 times
Hello all! I am so glad I found this thread. We are moving to the Kellogg area in June and I was wondering about cell phone service. We are coming from AZ, so it never dawned on me that coverage might not be available. We use Sprint/Nextel right now, but I have been told by them that I would be roaming in that area... What is the best cell phone service for Northern Idaho?

TIA~

Also, for internet... are there broadband options?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 PM

2,109 posts, read 3,100,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacileigh View Post
Hello all! I am so glad I found this thread. We are moving to the Kellogg area in June and I was wondering about cell phone service. We are coming from AZ, so it never dawned on me that coverage might not be available. We use Sprint/Nextel right now, but I have been told by them that I would be roaming in that area... What is the best cell phone service for Northern Idaho?

TIA~

Staci, I use a Trac Phone. It is probably not the best deal, but it does keep us modest with expenses.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 AM

34 posts, read 48,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Staci, I use a Trac Phone. It is probably not the best deal, but it does keep us modest with expenses.
Thanks Sandpointian- It looks like a great deal for those who do not have tweens with phones stuck to their ears I am afraid, especially after the move, my son will require more than 40 min a month.

I am surprised that Nextel is not up there... with the mines and all, I would think direct-connect would be an industry choice.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:12 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,942,837 times
I switched to Verizon from ATT simply because it worked at my house. We are at about $147/mo for two droids with700 min, unlimited data, 250 texts.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,204,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacileigh View Post

TIA~

The best cell phone service with a plan in NID is Verizon, as far as I can tell. There will still be lots of places where you can't get any service (we've thought of calling our 5 acres the "0 Bar Ranch" ), but Verizon has better coverage than the other major companies. We've had several threads about it, and I seem to remember there was another alternative to Verizon, but maybe you can go through the "cell phone service" threads and find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho