Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times

Advertisements

Has anyone spent summers in BOTH Sun Valley/Ketchum and Colorado resort towns such as Vail, Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Telluride and Crested Butte? I live in CA and I have a job where I can work from anywhere a lot of the year and I want to start spending a 4-6 weeks living in a really scenic mountain town that also has a decent amount of stuff to do. I'm a single 41 year old male.

Checking the short term rentals the Ketchum/Sun Valley area seems to be a lot more reasonable than the Colorado resort towns. I have been to Sun Valley briefly just driving through, and also Aspen 17 years ago and Telluride briefly. Have never been to Vail, Crested or Steamboat. I think the views right in the towns of Aspen and Telluride might be slightly prettier than Sun Valley as the mountains are more vertical. But I think north of Sun Valley around Stanley is as pretty as anywhere.

Just looking for a place to de-stress and golf, hike, chill and drink some pints at the local pub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
I've lived in Sun Valley for 5 summers and recommend it over CO in a big way.
Gotta run, but will get back with more comments later

Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Has anyone spent summers in BOTH Sun Valley/Ketchum and Colorado resort towns such as Vail, Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Telluride and Crested Butte? I live in CA and I have a job where I can work from anywhere a lot of the year and I want to start spending a 4-6 weeks living in a really scenic mountain town that also has a decent amount of stuff to do. I'm a single 41 year old male.

Checking the short term rentals the Ketchum/Sun Valley area seems to be a lot more reasonable than the Colorado resort towns. I have been to Sun Valley briefly just driving through, and also Aspen 17 years ago and Telluride briefly. Have never been to Vail, Crested or Steamboat. I think the views right in the towns of Aspen and Telluride might be slightly prettier than Sun Valley as the mountains are more vertical. But I think north of Sun Valley around Stanley is as pretty as anywhere.

Just looking for a place to de-stress and golf, hike, chill and drink some pints at the local pub.
I think the Sun Valley/Ketchum area is more beautiful than Aspen, in a different way. More of a mountain/desert, sagebrush feel to it, witch I like. 2000 ft. lower in elevation, and dryer in the summer months, than Aspen... Also less crowded.

Last edited by jwest09; 04-08-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Back with more info.
Sun Valley and Ketchum do have tall vertical mountains above the narrow valley, The Boulders and Pioneers, but they can be hidden from view by the lower foothills depending on where you are in the valley, especially the actual Sun Valley Resort grounds. If you are in the Warm Springs area of Ketchum you can see the tall peaks of the Pioneers and the Boulders can be seen from much of Ketchum.

The drive east of Sun Valley up Trail Creek is beautiful, the drive west out of Ketchum on Warm Springs is beautiful, and of course heading north of Ketchum, just barely outside of city limits, you can see side roads that enter the Boulder Mountains and this area heading to Stanley is as beautiful as any mountain area you can encounter. The mountains and forests by and near Sun Valley are imo much more pristine, wild, and have more verdant deeper forests than you will find in Colorado. There is sage on the lower foothills, and the alpine forested scenery is out of this world. If you like water activities, like lakes and rivers then Sun Valley is the obvious choice, plenty of this near and in the valley. The Wood River runs the length of the valley with a paved bike greenbelt path.

Sun Valley is a fun place in summer because of the incomparable outdoor activities that can be done there, the golfing is great, mountain biking there is some of the best of any alpine ski area, and the restaurant scene and pubs are of course what you would expect for an upper crust area like Sun Valley/Ketchum. The arts scene is fabulous and really popular and there is a new outdoor ampitheatre at Sun Valley Resort that is used often in summer for concerts and the symphony not to mention the olympic ice skating peeps who perform at the ice rink at the Sun Valley Lodge. Sun Valley is the first destination ski resort in the USA, sk lift invented there, so if you are into ski history this is the place.

The really nice aspect of Sun Valley, is that the area is as uber rich as any resort, but it is relaxed, no paparazzi, movie stars mingling as normal people, and no one cares or bugs them. Many big names have homes or condos in the area, I've heard more than any other Western ski resort area because they can be left alone unlike some resorts in CO where the paparazzi is bugging them.

So, I would suggest Sun Valley, for a true Rocky Mountain summer experience in a somewhat fabled resort area. You have five mountain ranges to play in by Sun Valley: The Boulders, Pioneers, Smoky's, and a bit further up Highway 75 you have the Sawtooth's and White Clouds and the headwaters of the Salmon River, and access to some of the largerst and wildest true wilderness areas in the Lower 48, not to mention a ton of natural hot springs to soak in, something you will not find as easily in CO.

I hope this helps, I'm very familier with the area.
Here is a link you might find more info at:
Sun Valley Guide Winter 2011

Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Really great responses! Appreciate it greatly. I will be back with more questions and commentary in a bit

Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times
According to MSN.com Aspen, CO is Americas MOST EXPENSIVE town.

Listed: MSN Real Estate's daily blog - MSN Real Estate

Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM

Yes I'm seeing much better deals on short term rentals in Ketchum. Aspen is way too expensive for a month rental for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho