Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 PM

9 posts, read 64,887 times

Advertisements

Hello, Can anyone please tell me if there are any counties in Idaho that do not have building codes? I am aware of Idaho County so far. I am looking to build alternative home. If you could also give insight on family friendly areas too.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,795,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver143 View Post
Hello, Can anyone please tell me if there are any counties in Idaho that do not have building codes? I am aware of Idaho County so far. I am looking to build alternative home. If you could also give insight on family friendly areas too.

Thank you!
Not many in Bonner County. Septic, electrical, not a whole lot else...

Old 04-18-2011, 01:56 PM

39,789 posts, read 26,271,486 times
There are state codes, and permits and inspectors, for plumbing and wiring.

In Bonner county, the Panhandle Health District permits, and inspects, septic systems. The only other item required in Bonner is a "site disturbance permit", it used to be $75...IIRC it was only $25 at one time.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,858 times
How about benewah county? Sounds like outside of st maries, they're lax on building permits? Hard to find information.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:39 PM

29,167 posts, read 22,137,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreveggies View Post
How about benewah county? Sounds like outside of st maries, they're lax on building permits? Hard to find information.
Gotta be careful about counties with lax permitting.
A home can be pretty flimsy in critical places, plumbing can be clabbered up, septic tanks can be problems, etc.

It really depends when no permit is required on a builder's skills and the budget when anything is constructed. Oftentimes, problems don't show up for years afterward.

Idaho once had very few permit requirements statewide. I know some folks who purchased old farmhouses and similar properties who have had massive problems, many requiring demolition to repair, and when faced with them, they also had to re-build up to permit regulations. And had to get permits to do the repairs.

So it's a double-edged sword. The permits may cost a new home builder more at the onset, but when it's time to sell and move on, they sure make the sale a lot better and more problem-free. The same is true with all the other property improvements.

They are also a big advantage in title clearance, as sometimes, only a permit gives a history of what was done on a property. My family just get a little 70-year old title problem cleared up because we were able to find the old permit for it in the Clerk's office at the courthouse.

One thing's for sure- permits are cheaper than lawyer money ever time.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:49 PM

294 posts, read 539,869 times
I find that the people trying to get around permits are the exact reason you need permits. They generally want to build an inferior building.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:26 PM

658 posts, read 819,948 times
Question: Do dry cabins need permits?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 8,415 times
what sort of home do you want to build?

Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,986,947 times
I assume he's asking about a cabin without any plumbing. Don't know the answer, and it may vary from location to location. I suggest you contact the jurisdiction where you want to build. Most all cities and counties have their building codes on line nowadays, so you cam find the answer to these sorts of questions with a little on line research.

Dave

Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 AM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
We talked about such an option for a guest cabin. I may be wrong, so do your own research, but I seem to remember that anything with a foundation needs a permit, but not if you put the cabin on concrete blocks so it is movable--sort of like a trailer. But like Dave says, it probably depends on the location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: